Mendis on verge of record

mister

Colombo: Ajantha Mendis has taken 23 wickets in the series so far, which is just one short of the world record in a three-match debut series. This record is currently held by England's Alec Bedser - also against India. With one more innings to bowl at the Indians, Mendis has a great chance to surpass Bedser. Most wickets in a debut Test series Wickets Bowler For VS Series In Average 24 AV Bedser Eng Ind 1946 Eng 12.42 23 BAW Mendis SL Ind 2008 SL 17.26 20 SR Clark Aus SA 2005-06 SA 15.85 19 SF Barnes Eng Aus 1901-02 Aus 17.00 19 J Crowie NZ Eng 1937 Eng 20.79 18 JJ Ferris* Aus Eng 1886-87 Aus 13.50 18 FS Ahangama SL Ind 1985-86 SL 19.33 *Ferris' performance came in only two Tests.

This guy is simply awesome. When was the last time a spin bowler created so much news and headlines within 6 months of his international debut? In fact, when was the last a bowler ruffled so many feathers in the international cricketing community? The only bowler whom I can think of, who had an impact that remotely resembled Mendis' was Shane Bond. Everyone is saying he will be figured out soon, but I aint too sure about that. If Indians, renowned for ability to play spin, can falter against through a test series, then God save teams like England, from Mendis. No bowler has ever dismissed Laxman in 5 consecutive innings, let alone a spin bowler. That says volumes about this guys class and talent. We are seeing something VERY VERY special here... And we could be seeing that 'something VERY VERY special' for a VERY VERY long time.

I am waiting for the day someone (be it Indian, Aussie, or Pak or whoever) shows Mendis his place. Smash like 24 runs of one over of Mendis, and totally ruin his confidence innings after innings. When will that happen? :pray: I want him totally dismantled by batsmen, and hope this record will not be talked about too much after that happens. Our fab-4 shud have done this, but have instead crawled in front of the M&M

He's such a thorn in the flesh, so accurate, so relentless. There's simply not even an iota of respite, when he's bowling. A wicket seems inevitable when he's bowling, just a matter of 'when' and not 'If'. His wickets arent just clueless tail-enders slogging across the line. He's consistently foxed 4-5 batsman whose names figure on the top-50 prolific scorers in test cricket list. That is some achievement. God I hate him so much already!

He's such a thorn in the flesh, so accurate, so relentless. There's simply not even an iota of respite, when he's bowling. A wicket seems inevitable when he's bowling, just a matter of 'when' and not 'If'. His wickets arent just clueless tail-enders slogging across the line. He's consistently foxed 4-5 batsman whose names figure on the top-50 prolific scorers in test cricket list. That is some achievement. God I hate him so much already!
I don't hate him as much as I hate the fact that we haven't produced such ridiculously unorthodox talent - at least not since the days of Chandrashekar. You'd think that a country of India's size and comparable ethnicity would produce at least one freak every 10 years. For a long time, we lamented the lack of fast bowlers while Pakistan was churning them out like cheap Chinese toys; now, this. I suppose, when we are beating the daylights out of Australia and winning in Perth, they were lamenting their lack of batsmen of Indian calibre, and cerebral bowlers like Kumble.
I don't hate him as much as I hate the fact that we haven't produced such ridiculously unorthodox talent - at least not since the days of Chandrashekar. You'd think that a country of India's size and comparable ethnicity would produce at least one freak every 10 years. For a long time' date=' we lamented the lack of fast bowlers while Pakistan was churning them out like cheap Chinese toys; now, this. I suppose, when we are beating the daylights out of Australia and winning in Perth, they were lamenting their lack of batsmen of Indian calibre, and cerebral bowlers like Kumble.[/quote'] There is on scientific explanation as to 'so and so population has to produce so and so freaks'.... Mendis is like a true definition, living example of freak. He could have born anywhere.
There is on scientific explanation as to 'so and so population has to produce so and so freaks'.... Mendis is like a true definition' date=' living example of freak. He could have born anywhere.[/quote'] Not science, but statistics. Am not talking about Mendis alone. Am talking about Murali and Mendis - 2 freaks - in a matter of a decade. I'm just ruing the fact that he wasn't born a few 100 miles north of where he was. After all, we are the land of Kachra!
Not science' date=' but statistics. Am not talking about Mendis alone. Am talking about Murali and Mendis - 2 freaks - in a matter of a decade. I'm just ruing the fact that he wasn't born a few 100 miles north of where he was. After all, we are the land of Kachra!
So you are saying the cricketing culture and environment has nothing to with it ?