Is the world cup victory now overshadowed now by Abhinav Bindra?

DomainK

Is the world cup victory now overshadowed now by Abhinav Bindra?  

1. 1.

• Abhinav Bindra's gold
    • India's Cricket world cup victory
    • Both are equally good
    • Can't say

What is the biggest sporting achievement for Indian since 1980? Our Hockey team of the past has been the biggest pride no doubt. But then there has been a lull for a long time. In the last 18 years we had a dry time as far as world sports is concerned. India won the Cricket world cup in 1983 under Kapil Dev and now Abhinav Bindra has won us a gold in 10m Air Rifle shooting. Which between the two do you think a bigger achievement? I would vote for the gold in the Olympics simply because of the sheer competition. Bindra got the distiction in 200 countries that follow the game. Thats quite some competition. How many countries India compete with when they won the WC? 8/9?

DK, I hope an Olymic individual competition can overshadow a high profile Cricket win and that will be good for future of Indian sports (and this I am saying inspite of being a die hard Cricket fanatic). But I am afraid it will never happen, Cricket in India is BIG and with very strong presence among Indian masses. When talking about Indians masses, I mean RURAL India where more than 80% of people live. Yes Cricket has successfully penetrated in rural India and majority of folks there don't even know what an Olympic shooting is all about. Heck, they know much more about an lbw, slip positions than difference between Gold and Bronze. Sorry, Cricket is invincible in India.

Can't be compared directly. As a sporting achievement, Bindra's is greater. But the best that can happen is that the Indian government may pour more money into it and it can lead to more medals. But shooting is not a spectator sport and it is only a very small percentage of the population are rich enough to take it up. The win will not have any serious impact on the general sporting crowd. 1983 did not really help to India's performance in cricket or sports in general. But its social impact was huge because, with the help of television, it increased by many times cricket's popularity and dominance over the other sports. Though there is no particular moment to point out, Viswanathan Anand's influence in chess probably carried the best of both. It improved chess' profile in India, and led to a wave of new grandmasters and a few junior world champions in the country.

Kapil Dev suggests this gold medal is the bigger achievement.

Shooter Abhinav Bindra’s achievement of an Olympic gold medal on Monday was, in a way, an example of history repeating itself if one connects it to India’s cricket World Cup triumph in 1983. Twenty-five years ago at Lord’s, 11 Indians –led by Kapil Dev – emerged champions with the odds heavily stacked against them. Similarly in Beijing, Bindra was an underdog in India’s quest for an Olympic gold. And Kapil hailed Bindra’s achievement as “bigger than any other sporting achievement”. “His achievement is much bigger than any other sporting achievement,” Kapil told Hindustan Times on Monday from London. “I think individual achievements have far more impact than team achievements. And, in sports, an Olympic gold medal stands above everything. I am sure this achievement will help the sporting scenario in India.”
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=&id=18510e6c-52b3-4870-8e7e-1eceb0efe6d8&&IsCricket=true&Headline=Biggest+sporting+feat%3a+Kapil One may agree or disagree with Kapil but he gets full marks for being a sport conscious Indian. Have seen him take to football once and is a very avid golfer as well. So when he says something good about Indian sports you better listen. Good to see Kapil give Bindra a big support. xxx
Can't be compared directly. As a sporting achievement, Bindra's is greater. But the best that can happen is that the Indian government may pour more money into it and it can lead to more medals. But shooting is not a spectator sport and it is only a very small percentage of the population are rich enough to take it up. The win will not have any serious impact on the general sporting crowd. 1983 did not really help to India's performance in cricket or sports in general. But its social impact was huge because, with the help of television, it increased by many times cricket's popularity and dominance over the other sports. Though there is no particular moment to point out, Viswanathan Anand's influence in chess probably carried the best of both. It improved chess' profile in India, and led to a wave of new grandmasters and a few junior world champions in the country.
Dude chess is not a sport...not for me atleast.:hatsoff:
Kapil Dev suggests this gold medal is the bigger achievement. http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=&id=18510e6c-52b3-4870-8e7e-1eceb0efe6d8&&IsCricket=true&Headline=Biggest+sporting+feat%3a+Kapil One may agree or disagree with Kapil but he gets full marks for being a sport conscious Indian. Have seen him take to football once and is a very avid golfer as well. So when he says something good about Indian sports you better listen. Good to see Kapil give Bindra a big support. xxx
Chandigrah connection.:--D
Dude chess is not a sport...not for me atleast.:hatsoff:
It is a big time world sport, and just in case you might have forgotten, our ONLY contribution to the world of sports. As in a sport that has Indian origin. Unless of course you count kabbadi but we all know how many countries play that. Probably a good time for you to start respecting it. :hatsoff:
It is a big time world sport, and just in case you might have forgotten, our ONLY contribution to the world of sports. As in a sport that has Indian origin. Unless of course you count kabbadi but we all know how many countries play that. Probably a good time for you to start respecting it. :hatsoff:
I don't care if it is our only contribution. A paraplegic can play chess. I will never respect it in the same way as I do other sports (some of them atleast..not synchronized swimming!!haha). Not undermining Vishy's achievements..he is a champion of course.
I don't care if it is our only contribution. A paraplegic can play chess. I will never respect it in the same way as I do other sports (some of them atleast..not synchronized swimming!!haha). Not undermining Vishy's achievements..he is a champion of course.
And yes the world awaits your respect for chess, doesn't it?? And just how much of a gentleman you are anyway if you have issues with a paraplegic playing chess!! Isnt that the sanest argument against chess as sports?? Chess is a worldwide sports and if you had a bit of sporting gene inside you, you would do well to read/learn about Fischer and Kasparovs of this world..not to mention Anand. Now you can go back to worshipping the cricketers..please :hatsoff:
We also used to be very good at Billiards and Snookers but for some reason it didn't inspire too many followers
And yes the world awaits your respect for chess, doesn't it?? And just how much of a gentleman you are anyway if you have issues with a paraplegic playing chess!! Isnt that the sanest argument against chess as sports?? Chess is a worldwide sports and if you had a bit of sporting gene inside you, you would do well to read/learn about Fischer and Kasparovs of this world..not to mention Anand. Now you can go back to worshipping the cricketers..please :hatsoff:
Arrey bhai, I am not saying world is awaiting my opinion or whatever, just expressing my thoughts. I have read about Fisher, Kasparov etc. Believe me, I have a big sporting keeda, not just a gene. But chess is simply not a physical sport and hence cannot be counted in the same category. No disrespect intended to anyone.

neither. no one cares about the single gold medal we have won or the 20-20 wc in a sport played primarily by a bunch of unfits, unprofessionals and inconsistents barring those from a single country (AUS). when we are in the top 5 of the medals table in an olympics or get anywhere in a sport truly played worldwide like soccer/footy or bball or track and field, then yes. right now, we are pretty much at the bottom of the sporting food chain especially given our population and economy. edit: that said, just watched the news and was moved by the medals ceremony video. abhinav bindra has made india proud, but we must get better than having to be happy about a single gold.