Cricket and Olympics : Random rambling

For a long time, I wanted cricket in the Olympics only for having a mis-guided hope of seeing atleast 1 gold medal in India’s medal table. But is Olympics really fair to team sports? Take for example, swimming in general compared with hockey. A swimmer, an individual can compete in 18 different events, which includes 50m, 100m, 200m etc in different styles like freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly etc. A 50 m takes only a few minutes (if you are already qualified) of competing to win a medal. Not only that, he has 17 other medal options. Meanwhile,in hockey, a team of 11 players has to compete in numerous 90 minute matches for 1 gold. Cricket stands in a similar light as hockey i.e. 11 team members have to compete for hours for 1 gold. But unlike hockey, there are other forms of cricket which has been played in various degree of popularity. We have cricket sixes, 20-20, 40 overs per side played in counties, 50 over ODIs and test matches. Apart from test matches, the others could be completed during the course of Olympics. So if and when cricket is included in Olympics, isn’t it fair to have all playable forms in it. Or should swimming along with running and gymnastics condensed to give only 1 medal per Olympics (eg. Only 1 medal for 50m, 100m, and 200m all combined)?

Cricket will not be included in Olympic unless a few more countries start playing it. I think if ICC can get China and USA to start playing Cricket, Olympic authorities would be interested. But I am not sure ICC would be keen on getting Cricket into the Olympics.

Cricket has already met the criteria required to be considered an Olympic sport (BTW i am sure curling and 10 mile marathon swimming met the criteria too). So its only a matter of IOC puts it in. Its inevitable. But i am more interested in having all forms of cricket in Olympics and not just 20-20.

A Test match competition would take about 4 years to complete. From one Olympics till the next. :cantstop: Only T20 is feasible for the Olympic games.
Its pretty simple really. Test matches cannot be played. So that's out of the equation. 6 top teams qualify for the olympics (top 6 from WC). 3 teams per group and 1 final. Thats 7 games. So a 50 over ODI will take approximately 5 days with with 2 stadiums. Similary 40 over will take another 5 days. 20-20 and sixes can include more teams and all can be played within the 16 days. Ofcourse i am talking about different teams for different formats.

Cricket is second, to be most viewing by the whole world after soccer. It doesn't make sense for not including Cricket at Olympic. I think T20 is more appropriate and suit Olympic well to promote. Beside, we have more than 10 teams to participate in T20, but those teams need to be given green signal. That's it