Ranji Trophy, Super League, 2008-09

Chandan

I disagree. Wasn't Flintoff working up the pace over 145 regularly? And our batsmen found him most difficult to score off on the same pitch just a fortnight back? So if the bowlers are good, batsmen will never find them easy and it is a fact. Another fact is that the set of bowlers we saw in Bengal vs TN match and now Saurashtra bowlers are nothing but absolute rubbish. They don't stand a chance for even India A team, forget about the test team. VRV is garbage and we've seen it many times. Unless he transforms himself dramatically, I don't see any future for him in international cricket. YoMahesh is promising but is too erratic and inconsistent. And Dinda is bad, even at domestic level. It is all well to produce one delivery over 130 when you know that you won't be given more than 2 overs in a spell, like in IPL, but is is totally different to do it when you know that you'll have to bowl 20 o0vers in a day. I think the condition of seam bowling is really very concerning. Who do we have who can be expected to deliver in tests: Zaheer, Ishant....and then? RP Singh? We have seen how much has he declined since the Australia tour. Sreesanth? Is he even fit to bowl? Pathan? Has he recovered his swing back because 130K pace without swing is just fodder for international batsmen? Munaf? Yes. He is steady and is consistent too. But can he go through an entire test series without breaking down? Who else? I think we are looking quite thin here in this department as well as spin department!
Indeed, the docile pitches are no excuse for the bowlers bowling quite this slowly, especially as Indian batsmen are typically weak against pace. I feel I've said this a million times but the main issue is the typical Indian build, which is traditionally quite weak when compared to a West Indian, Australian or English (going off averages obviously, there will be exceptions) build and this is something that we must work to overcome with a far stronger fitness and strengthening department to other countries. Looking from the 1970s-1990s to today, there are probably globally the same amount of 150kph bowlers, and that is possibly under half a dozen, but the number of 140kph bowlers has increased dramatically. It has become a staple of the international bowler to bowl 140kph but in India, we see this trend far lessened to other countries. Why is this? Tbh, can't begin to speculate but it is certainly a major issue. Something which must be mentioned and has been mentioned before is that our bowlers showed an ability to bowl quickly over four over stints in the IPL. VRV Singh hit 143kph, IIRC, Dinda bowled at 140kph, RP Singh and Sreesanth bowled at an average pace of around 140kph, etc, but in FC cricket, these people bowl at 130kph, it is clearly a major fitness issue. Whether this is genetic or due to poor conditioning is irrelevant because it can be tackled. Look at the current Australia Vs South Africa Test series, Steyn, Johnson, Siddle have all displayed the ability to touch or approach 150kph well into a long 10-30 over stint in a Test innings and yet our Test bowlers are limited to 135kph after the first spell - even Ishant rarely touches 140kph after his new ball spell.
I disagree. Wasn't Flintoff working up the pace over 145 regularly? And our batsmen found him most difficult to score off on the same pitch just a fortnight back?
he was troubling bcoz of swing n reverse swing,not bcoz of pace.about his pace he has been brought up on helpful pitches n so has a habit of bowling 145+ without too much trouble.even then he breaks dwn every now n then
So if the bowlers are good, batsmen will never find them easy and it is a fact. Another fact is that the set of bowlers we saw in Bengal vs TN match and now Saurashtra bowlers are nothing but absolute rubbish. They don't stand a chance for even India A team, forget about the test team.
yes they wre rubbish
VRV is garbage and we've seen it many times. Unless he transforms himself dramatically, I don't see any future for him in international cricket. YoMahesh is promising but is too erratic and inconsistent. And Dinda is bad, even at domestic level. It is all well to produce one delivery over 130 when you know that you won't be given more than 2 overs in a spell, like in IPL, but is is totally different to do it when you know that you'll have to bowl 20 o0vers in a day.
thats wat i said the reason for them to not bowl 140+ bcoz they have to bowl 20 overs in a day.
RP Singh? We have seen how much has he declined since the Australia tour./QUOTE] RP hasbt declined he just doesnt know how to bowl in subcontinent conditions,on flat tracks.i'm sure he'll be back in form in NZ.
Sreesanth? Is he even fit to bowl? /QUOTE] HE IS PERFECTLY FIT to bowl,provided he concentrates on it rather than disco dancing
Pathan? Has he recovered his swing back because 130K pace without swing is just fodder for international batsmen?/QUOTE] he is getting it back.hes not the same as before,but can be used as an allrounder.i wont be surprised if hes picked for NZ. apart from that sangwan,gony are good prospects.and i disagree with u on dinda.whatever i've seen,hes very good n should be taken care of
Just finished watching highlights of Mumbai vs Saurashtra. Jaffer played some delightful flicks and used his feet well against spinners..Rahane was nowhere near his best.Failed to take advantage of quite a few poor deliveries on offer. Mumbai in great shape going in to day-2 with their no.4 batsman anxiously waiting for his turn!
Where did u see highlights?

VRV bowled one excellent spell in the 2nd test in SA.Unlucky not to pick many wickets. RPSingh will definitely recoverand get back to his old ways soon.he is too good to be cast aside. Munaf has cut down his pace but improved his accuracy. he will have to improve his fitness and fielding.he will be around as a stand by and also as a 3rd seamer option when v tour. Sreesanth promised so much in SA but is too immature to get distracted. he breaks down every time he gets fit and plays a few practice matches. he has attitude problems. if he can overcome his fitness and attitudinal problems he can be a good prospect. Avishkar Salvi modeled himself on McGra but he faded away shortly. couple of promising seamers joined ICL,May be if ICL winds up next month, they may get another chance and we may get some serious contenders for the national team.

Munaf has cut down his pace but improved his accuracy. he will have to improve his fitness and fielding.he will be around as a stand by and also as a 3rd seamer option when v tour.
Would definately like to see him play in Tests against New Zealand, I feel an inform Munaf could utilise the pitches well.
Would definately like to see him play in Tests against New Zealand' date=' I feel an inform Munaf could utilise the pitches well.[/quote'] no i feel RP will be a better bet.he did well in eng n will get lot more swing than munaf
Its not over yet' date=' TN will collapse tomorrow.[/quote'] Vidyut, Suresh are good batters.traditionally the TN teams have batting depth till #10. i am sure about 500 on the board by tea time tommorrow. point is does UP have any bowlers who can cause a collapse? by the way Piyush Chawla can make better contribution as a batsman for UP in this game than as a bowler. I expected Praveen kumar to bowl better but he disappointed. I hope Balajee can continue his good work with the ball and take TN to finals. UP can always try next year:--D

I think we can safely ignore Jaffer's gargantuan scores in FC cricket. Normally, when a batsman, that too an opener score this many runs, we have every right to be excited. But we've all seen what Jaffer has to offer in international cricket. Against easy pitches and docile bowling, he's probably the MOST prolific batsman in Indian cricket. But when the going gets tough and the rubber meets the road, he's been found woefully short. Even if one of Gambhir or Sehwag go out of form, I dont want Jaffer in the team. My preference would be either M.Vijay or Parthiv. P.S; Bear in mind, M.Vijay may turn out to be another Jaffer.