Final bow on my terms - Kumble

graphic23

Over the past few days, given all the media attention I have received before and during the match, with various uncharitable comments on my fitness and retirement and performance as a player and captain, it does seem like I'm back in Australia again. That time, 10 months ago, saw me unfortunately having to split my time between playing cricket and handling a host of unnecessary off-the-field issues, instead of being able to concentrate on playing the game and handling my team. I didn’t really expect to have to go through this all over again, on my home turf. What has also been somewhat unexpected is the way the Indian media seems to have delighted in analysing and sensationalising every little action, remark or gesture. Also, there's been this high praise for the way Australia played. Well, good for the Aussies, but I have a point to make here: In all the talk of aggressive, champion sides, it might make sense for someone to ask why 83 overs on a fifth day pitch wasn't enough time to finish the job. It's perhaps easy to say one must ignore the media but for any normal person, that's a difficult ask, given the media's overwhelming presence in cricket. I would really appreciate if certain people realise that cricket is not spoken, it’s played and we, the Indian team, are out to play it. Actually, I’m pretty happy with the way things panned out after we lost the toss. From the look of the pitch, this was a track on which 600 could have been made batting first and that the Australians took five sessions and more to make about 400 is a reflection on how wonderfully well our bowling unit performed. While the spinners played their part by keeping the Australian batsmen quiet the first two days, Ishant and Zaheer bowled with heart and spirit to shape the way this series might go. While Zaheer has been an integral part of our strategy, to watch how Ishant has developed as a bowler, now understanding the nuances of not just bowling with the new ball but also using the old ball well at such a young age, has been a pleasure. It bodes well not just for him but also for the future of Indian cricket. Again, with the batting, the top order got us a start but when we lost quick wickets, Harbhajan and Zaheer stood up and made sure they not only cut down the lead, but also showed everyone that our tail can handle this Australian attack with ease. It may also be noted that our four senior batsmen, Sachin and Rahul, Sourav and Laxman, all played a part in this Test. We all, especially the Australians, know what these men are capable of and I believe that when our main batsmen come to the party fully, it will fetch us big scores and hopefully, a winning platform. So yes, I'm really, really pleased with 'the Indian way' of doing things. What people sometimes forget is that cricket is a team game. At different times, different people play a decisive role. For instance, I definitely didn't have a good game as a player, having my third Test in about 130 with no wickets and a 100 runs given but then again, I'm the only player in current cricket to have over 100 Australian scalps. And for those who are wondering, I'm feeling good, I am hopeful the shoulder injury I picked up during the match (after bowling 40 overs in the first innings) should be fine by the second Test and that it will be business as usual thereafter. But what's infinitely more important to me is the way we've fought as a team. We've backed each other up, believed in each other and given ourselves confidence going into Mohali. I'd like to add one final comment here, one that should hopefully settle things for a bit and let us concentrate on our cricket. I can't promise things I have no control over, but the one thing that I can guarantee is that I wont give up the fight. We won't. The belief that I have in my team, and the belief that the team has in me is what matters the most. When I decide to make a final bow, I'll go on my own terms.
Original article appeared in Hindustan Times I believe in what he wrote. Given that he is a fighter and has been a terrific bowler for India (with a few blemishes - but who doesn't have one?), I think he'll make it through this series, and I hope he has a much better 2nd test.

Actually, after reading the article, I am absolutely beside myself with anger and self-guilt, for not backing Kumble after his last few performances. I even secretly hoped his shoulder doesnt recover in time for the 2nd test! Now, I truly regret having such thoughts Anil deserves all our support at this crucial juncture. He's a true Indian champion. He's done it all before, he will do it again.

For how long Team India will have to put up with this ..Yes he is a legend yes he served Indian cricket for a very long time but what can we do now, he is averaging 40+ for the year... when he is getting injured often ... Every time he pushes himself to play another Test match knowing well that he is neither match fit nor in any sort of wicket taking form , I lose respect for him

Actually, after reading the article, I am absolutely beside myself with anger and self-guilt, for not backing Kumble after his last few performances. I even secretly hoped his shoulder doesnt recover in time for the 2nd test! Now, I truly regret having such thoughts Anil deserves all our support at this crucial juncture. He's a true Indian champion. He's done it all before, he will do it again.
two things to bear in mind. they don't necessarily apply to kumble at this stage. 1. what makes such hyper-competitive people champions is exactly what makes them stick around past their use-by date. 2. willpower gets you only so far
ok i am SRT fan as well as AK's fan... but some of you are SRT's fan (looking at sig) but against AK staying in team.. thats not fair.. if you look at both of their performance in last 2-3 seriesk, they both are in same boat...
SRT's last 12 months Avg Vs Aus 61.66 Vs Pak 69.50 Vs Lanka 15 Vs SAF 0 (played 1 match , 1 innings only ) So he failed in 1 series AK's last 12 month Avg Vs Aus 42.25 Vs Pak 26.50 Vs Lanka 50 Vs SAF 60.25 (played 2 matches) Now pls see the difference .... I think all seniors including SRT and Kumble need to retire soon but for AK its already overdue

Desi, Kumble doesn't have the liberty of not playing matches whenever he's unfit, to be honest. 1) He's the captain of the team. 2) Our team has been very dependent upon him to take wickets to have an upperhand in Test matches. I completely disagree with your interpretation that Kumble failed against Australia. Whenever we needed a partnership to be broken, 9/10 times it was Kumble who delievered the breakthrough. The figures don't show that. Plus, barring an abnormal spinner like Shane Warne, not many spinners have had overwhelming success in Australia (irrelevant of the opposition). But Kumble's contributions with the ball are being underestimated in your analysis. He failed in the Sri Lanka series. Who didn't? The batsmen failed (barring Sehwag in the 2nd match) against Mendis, and the bowlers failed against their batting lineup. One thing can be sure with Kumble though, whether he is looking like taking wickets or not, whether he's getting any results for his work or not, he bowls the next delivery with the same sincerity and commitment as his 1st, and that lasts throughout the day (at least for the majority of the day). Going to the SA series, all the batsmen failed in the Ahmedabad Test (including the 2nd innings because we weren't able to play well enough). The bowlers maybe bowled well but not well enough to restrict SA anywhere close to our score of 76. When such a 1st innings score is made, it is extremely difficult for any bowler to get inspiration. You know Chennai was a terrible wicket. All of SA's bowling lineup (the same one that skittled us out for 76) could not thwart Sehwag and Dravid's century (off some 350+ balls). The pitches and the support from the batsmen all contribute to a bowler's performance in a match, and unfortunately, neither have cooperated for Kumble in the last 2-3 series. In the Pakistan series, though we were all out for < 250 the first innings, we gained some 30 run lead. Thanks to Kumble for his 4 wickets in the first innings, we were able to gain that lead. Thanks for his 3 wickets in the 2nd innings, we were able to restrict Pakistan and earn a win (which was the series win as well). I mean numbers don't show what the conditions were for each match/series. I can only say that he failed in SL along with rest of the team. Apart from that, he's had a pretty decent year. Not a very good one or a great one. But not as pathetic as the numbers make it seem.

two things to bear in mind. they don't necessarily apply to kumble at this stage. 1. what makes such hyper-competitive people champions is exactly what makes them stick around past their use-by date. 2. willpower gets you only so far
Agree. See a whole bunch of others who hung around far longer than they should have and finished their careers as shells of what they were in their prime, fighting purely with willpower, grit and experience and realizing it wasn't enough without the skills/reflexes/physical condition they had when younger. Kapil Dev, Miandad, Imran Khan and a whole lot of of other bowlers who hung around after being worn down by age and/or injuries are good examples. Kumble's a tremendous fighter with tons of heart and grit - but so were the likes of Miandad, Kapil and Allan Donald, and it's worth noting how their careers ended.
Fair enough, but I refuse to believe Anil can go from being our leading bowler to being absolutely toothless, in a space of 3 test series. And here's something to consider; Never EVER under estimate the heart of a true champion.
Fair enough' date=' but I refuse to believe Anil can go from being our leading bowler to being absolutely toothless, in a space of 3 test series. [/quote'] Two shoulder injuries will do that at age 37. If you refuse to believe, watch some footage of Kumble bowling in Bangalore, Colombo or in the latter half of the Adelaide test, then compare to footage of him bowling at Melbourne less than 12 months ago. He's lost the venom and zip off the pitch that he used to have, and his bowling's completely toothless as a result. Fight only goes so far, sadly - else guys like Donald and Gary Kirsten would still be around.

Interesting topic. Sad to see AK pointing to Australia's inability to dismiss India twice when his own spinners - over 900 Test wickets between them - were hugely ineffectual. They took 3 of the 16 wickets to fall, from 119 overs, with AK going wicketless. All of the positive comments about Anil's career I agree with but making him captain of the Test team was a major blunder which India is now stuck with. By that I mean it's nigh on impossible for the selectors to sack the captain to bring in Chawla or Mishra. AK is NOT a Test captain. MSD would have given India a fresh feel - similar to KP for England but that only came about because Vaughan did the right thing and fell on his sword. "So yes, I'm really, really pleased with 'the Indian way' of doing things." Unfortunately, that seems to be to let the senior players dictate when they'll retire - just as Gangs did at the start of the series and Anil is saying now. Perhaps he should look closer at the second part of that quote: "What people sometimes forget is that cricket is a team game."

Interesting topic. Sad to see AK pointing to Australia's inability to dismiss India twice when his own spinners - over 900 Test wickets between them - were hugely ineffectual. They took 3 of the 16 wickets to fall, from 119 overs, with AK going wicketless. All of the positive comments about Anil's career I agree with but making him captain of the Test team was a major blunder which India is now stuck with. By that I mean it's nigh on impossible for the selectors to sack the captain to bring in Chawla or Mishra. AK is NOT a Test captain. MSD would have given India a fresh feel - similar to KP for England but that only came about because Vaughan did the right thing and fell on his sword. "So yes, I'm really, really pleased with 'the Indian way' of doing things." Unfortunately, that seems to be to let the senior players dictate when they'll retire - just as Gangs did at the start of the series and Anil is saying now. Perhaps he should look closer at the second part of that quote: "What people sometimes forget is that cricket is a team game."
how easily u forgot anil led us to perth win n galle victory.u say MSD would have india a fresh feel.how r u so sure?even dhoni is strugging wid his batting. i would rathr have a captain who plays despite an injury,rather than a man who doesnt play ,skips an imp. series,knowing fully how imp he is to the team,as captain
A captain' date=' or for that matter, any player who plays with an injury is NOT a team man. End of story.[/quote'] so u mean every cricketer plays only if hes 100% fit?minor injuries are part n parcel of game.they r ignored n continue to be ignored. and a player who suddenly feels tired,but has no injury,backs out of an important test series, is a TEAM MAN. weird logic!
It's quite clear what I said. No need for you to interpret. You added the second part. Not me.
i mean if u r an important player n especially the captain, u have to play wid minor injuries. theres nothing wrong in it.why question their team spirit for that?