Australian Media Reaction

flamy

The headline writer in The Australian today (20 October) is clearly on a mission to secure a posting as Chief Minister of Propaganda. An article by Malcolm Conn, describing the events of the third day’s play from Mohali was headlined as “India’s verbal barrage as Watson fights lone hand". What makes this headline even more disgraceful is that Watson is later quoted in the piece as saying it was nothing more than “friendly banter”. How that sort of direct quote can be turned into a headline that talks about a ‘verbal barrage’ is laughable, especially from a newspaper that purports to be a serious broadsheet. The headline writer in The Australian today (20 October) is clearly on a mission to secure a posting as Chief Minister of Propaganda. An article by Malcolm Conn, describing the events of the third day’s play from Mohali was headlined as “India’s verbal barrage as Watson fights lone hand". What makes this headline even more disgraceful is that Watson is later quoted in the piece as saying it was nothing more than “friendly banter”. How that sort of direct quote can be turned into a headline that talks about a ‘verbal barrage’ is laughable, especially from a newspaper that purports to be a serious broadsheet. The online version of the same article has a much more sober heading, presumably because the international audience that might access the Internet would see through the shameful jingoism that the hard copy readers in Australia are expected to stomach. The full article can be seen here. This is the sort of rubbish that is served up as intelligent fare for cricket followers in Australia, trying to follow a gripping Test match between two evenly matched teams. The hypocrisy is breath-taking. I have never seen a similar headline in the last 20 years when most of the verbal barrage, distinctly ‘unfriendly banter’, has been dished out by the Australians. Even when opposition players, clearly not as sanguine about it as Watson and Lee clearly were, complained about being verbally intimidated, no one ever really described it in such negative language. Take for example this quote from today’s article: “That India felt it necessary to so strongly verbal the Australians when so far in front suggests how desperate they are to regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy”. Contrast this with everything Watson says in his interview and the actual footage from what took place. That little excerpt could well be re-written to say “that an Australian journalist felt it necessary to misrepresent the facts when so far behind suggests how desperate we are to find something negative to write about India when they are clearly on top”. I watched every ball of that absorbing middle session when Lee and Watson battled it out against some high quality bowling and it was nothing more than competitive cricket between grown men who clearly knew where to draw the line. There were smiles all round and nothing appeared to get out of hand. Why Rudi Koetzen and Asad Rauf felt the need to intervene to calm things down remains a mystery. You don’t often see that sort of intervention when Australia is serving it up. Why intervene now? Watson himself actually said it was “enjoyable”. Earlier in the Test, another news report made much of Koetzen’s umpiring blunder when he failed to call for the third umpire to rule on Sourav Ganguly’s stumping on the first day. No mention whatsoever of the Watson lbw yesterday off Ishant Sharma. Obviously umpiring errors that favour Australia are not worthy of mention. Tell the masses what they want to hear and don’t let the truth get in the way of a good propaganda story. That will ensure the loyal readers keep coming back for more! The Australian cricketers themselves (Sydney 2008 notwithstanding) are usually more than happy to engage in friendly banter. They’re not the ones complaining about Test cricket that’s played hard and fair. As cricketers who are prepared to dish it out, they are equally capable of taking it on the chin when the tables are turned. In fact, I don’t think that tactic really works on Australian cricketers because it makes them fight even harder but that’s not a can of worms I want to open up again! It will be interesting to see the local headlines in Australia if India wins this Test. Perhaps there won’t be any headlines at all – we might get full coverage of Bangladesh’s unlikely (probable) victory over New Zealand instead. After all, if the newspapers don’t report it, we can always pretend it never happened! http://blogs.cricinfo.com/diffstrokes/archives/2008/10/whinging_aussies.php ================================================================ LOooooooooooooooooooooooove THIS!! :finger::finger::finger:

supppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr..bring on the effin Aussies we are winning this series and i would be laughing my hearts content at the various faults this aussie media wud find in our team..wat a bunch of whining pu$$ies..but one thing is for sure..they hate our cricket team because they just cant put us down no matter wat :yay::dance:

It's so nice to see the Aussie media getting riled up. It's amazing how the Aussie players have lost all their aggression in a span of couple of days or three. They looked defensive right from ball one and are paying for it. Ponting had a sweeper in the very first over to Gambhir, that defensive they were. I'm glad to see the day where Aussie players are sledged left, right and center. All good things must come to end and this Aussie domination I hope doesn't go too long. I think it is hard for them to replace the likes of McGrath, Warne, Gilly and Langer no matter how strong their domestic cricket is. I didn't think I'd be seeing a day when the Aussie reporters are blue in the face at the prospect of seeing Indians dominate the Aussies yet again.

Anyone know what happened with Hayden, he seemed pissed off when he came to bat Was it something Sehwag said before the start of Aus 2nd innings?
Dunno abt when he came into bact, but Zak really riled him up when he got out by twittering something coy as he ran by. Hayden threw up his hands, WTF maan? I'm a guest in your country... :cantstop:

Bring back Warne and it's civil war.... Bring back Warne and it's civil war....says 'The Daily Telegraph' Warney, it's time to return Article from: The Daily Telegraph by Garry Linnell October 21, 2008 12:00am THERE'S no polite way to spin this. Australian cricket needs a helping hand. Our stocks of quality front-line bowlers are low. We don't have a spinner worthy of the title. And if yesterday's spat between Ricky Ponting and Brett Lee is any guide, team morale is also drying up on the parched wickets of India. It's time to send out an SOS to SKW. Shane Warne, it's time you came out of retirement. The cricketing establishment would look aghast at the suggestion of luring the world's greatest-ever leg-spinner back to the Test arena. Reaching into the past during a rebuilding stage in any sport is not considered good form these days. But the argument to convince Warne to make a comeback makes sense. For one thing, he probably wouldn't need much convincing. Earlier this year he led the Rajasthan Royals to victory in the Indian Premier League with a preparation that consisted of a week's worth of bowling. Don't forget his greatest-ever display - the Ashes tour of England in 2005 when he captured 40 wickets at 20 runs apiece - came during the public collapse of his marriage as the English tabloids massacred him each morning. He loves pressure. He doesn't needs hours in the nets. He would eat this summer's touring sides - South Africa and New Zealand - quicker than a can of baked beans. While there may be minor regulations to overcome (he needs to have racked up two first-class matches to qualify for the Test side), surely these can be swept aside in the national interest. Just a tweak. Warney's time has arrived. Again. Get a feel of the headlines in major Aus newspapers here: http://ahh-ha.blogspot.com/2008/10/aussie-cricket-headlines-today.html

They should also bring back Langer, McGrath, Gilly, Symonds and Gillespie along with Warne. After the retirement of Gilly, McGrath, Warne and Langer, Australia has lost out on some all time greats. They dropped Symonds too and forced Gillespie out of the team. I think Aussies have taken few unwanted harsh decisions. The selection panel has been a little too over-confident I'll have to say. BTW what's up with MacGill? I'm sure he had couple more years in him.

Australian Media Reaction rickyponting_wideweb__470x302,0.jpg The OTT Australian media has reacted very strongly to the historic loss. Headlines from the mainstream Australian newspapers. OUTbatted, OUTbowled, OUTcaptained >> Sydney Morning Herald Aussie cricketers crash to worst defeat in nearly a decade >> Herald Sun India secures historic victory >> The Age Australia's reign nearing end >> The Australian Daily telegraph wants Symonds back into the team >> Link :--D Please add more...