Pontings Captaincy Record

umpire

is awesome isnt? He has only lost (top my head) 5 Tests. and guess what 3 were against India. Poor ponting. Ponting has captained 7 Tests against India, won 2 and lost 3 (with Adelaide and Bangalore draws). Ponting has lost 5 tests and McGrath was absent in 4 and Warne in 2. I am confident that he will lose more often now, South Africa will give them run for their money.

I think it will be better phrased as Australia's record under Pnting as a captain. Ponting is not as great a captain as he looks like. He is a rich captain. A captain rich with resources. He has everything he may want. He was never really tested, and whenever he was tested, he has looked clueless.....latest example being Mohali.

Its good to see someone giving credit for Ponting, especially in these times. As much as he's an arrogant twist, his career as a cricketer and a captain is truly unparalled. We look at other cricketers in the world and it doesnt take long to figure out that the great batsman have never been successful captains and the successful captains have never been great captains either. But Ponting has managed to juggle both jobs.

A captain is only as good as his team, and Ponting has had a fantastic team to work with. I am sure they will be back to winning ways against South Africa.
Actually, I think that depends a lot on the wash up of this series. What happens, the final result both qualitatively and quantitatively, the confidence and composition of the side to emerge, who stays, who goes...will all have a bearing on future series.
I think it will be better phrased as Australia's record under Pnting as a captain. Ponting is not as great a captain as he looks like. He is a rich captain. A captain rich with resources. He has everything he may want. He was never really tested' date=' and whenever he was tested, he has looked clueless.....latest example being Mohali.[/quote'] Completely agree :two_thumbs_up:
Its good to see someone giving credit for Ponting, especially in these times. As much as he's an arrogant twist, his career as a cricketer and a captain is truly unparalled. We look at other cricketers in the world and it doesnt take long to figure out that the great batsman have never been successful captains and the successful captains have never been great captains either. But Ponting has managed to juggle both jobs.
Really? So did Steve Waugh. And prolly Border. They have historically chosen their best batsman as captain, and it has worked almost every time.

actually Ponting got everything on the platter. He hardly had to do anything. He was lucky to get captainship, as Warne was known for his indisipline. Else Warnie would have been better captain. Now is the real challenge for Ponting, Without lack of quality spinner and support seamers, can he have same record.?? Even Dhoni is getting benefitted by the hard work put by Dada (Wright) and Dravid for making team as professoinal unit

Really? So did Steve Waugh. And prolly Border. They have historically chosen their best batsman as captain' date=' and it has worked almost every time.[/quote'] Of course, there a few exceptions. But Historically, a batsman numbers always tend to suffer when he's made capain. Ponting is one of few whose numbers actually grew while he was captain.
A captain is only as good as his team' date= and Ponting has had a fantastic team to work with. I am sure they will be back to winning ways against South Africa. You could probably say the same thing for Dhoni too.
not always... IPL examples... Warnie for Rajasthan Royal (was worst team on paper) and Laxman for Hydrabad team (best team on paper)...
actually Ponting got everything on the platter. He hardly had to do anything. He was lucky to get captainship, as Warne was known for his indisipline. Else Warnie would have been better captain. Now is the real challenge for Ponting, Without lack of quality spinner and support seamers, can he have same record.?? Even Dhoni is getting benefitted by the hard work put by Dada (Wright) and Dravid for making team as professoinal unit
Ump mate, cant say i can comletely agree with your post, in captaincy, its the kinda players you inherit when the earlier captains reign is over, when Tugga left, Punter inherited Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Gilly, Haydos who were all world class, now with most of the players gone, comes his real test, thats why i completely agree with the part of your post However its not the same with the Indian front Dhoni had to cope with the loss and replace AK, Sri, RD, Sourav and in came the like of Rohit, Raina, Utthapa (who i know were there earlier, but this time they were there to replace these greats) So i must say even though Dhoni, might have had the likes of Sachin, Sehwag and Bhaj, it hasnt been as easy for him as it has been for Punter