Pontings Captaincy Record

umpire

Funnily enough' date=' Ponting as a captain has won more matches than our entire Indian cricketing test history :(([/quote'] :hmmm: is this some kind of a sarcastic joke ??? i seriously fail to find the humour Ponting's captaincy record is 33 wins from 44 matches
:hmmm: is this some kind of a sarcastic joke ??? i seriously fail to find the humour Ponting's captaincy record is 33 wins from 44 matches
Blue_brigade's claim is so obviously wrong that I won't even bother to look up how many we have actually won. Ganguly won 21 as captain. If you add the wins by Sehwag/Kumble/Dravid/Dhoni, in the 2000s itself, India has won more than 33.
no sucker.. i was talking about captaincy... if u r good captain in one format.. you are good in all format...
Format ??? isnt it necesarry that it be International standard ! IPL just a local tourney involving International players and has no credibility what so ever
to manage and lead bunch international players makes it even more difficult..
But dude, its not at an International stage, its for some local tourney Ok veer mate lets do this once again, "A captain is as good as his team", i have no problems with this statement, but i think the IPL example you gave wasnt quite irrelevant to the discussion, would have rather prefered an International team be used in the eg, so i think we keep this at that !!! :two_thumbs_up:

IPL is no different... you can even take gulli cricket as an example to demonstrate leadership.. point is "A captain is as good as his team" statement is not true my point was.. before IPL games started, we said Rajasthan team is the weakest since it had no big stars... except Warne.. but they went on and won the cup... Same way.. we said Hyderabad team is one hell of a team.. with symmonds, afridi type players.. but they ended up last in the pool.. another example, bhajji had same set of players in IPL for Mumbai as pollock.. but bhajji lost games after games before pollack started winning.. see the difference.. ? point is statement'"A captain is as good as his team" is not a true.. ---- Anyways, on international level, you can see difference in result and approach in 1st test and 2nd test.. Given the same resources, good captains know how to utilize it to the fullest.. I think I already over-cooked this topic.. :--D

Of course, there a few exceptions. But Historically, a batsman numbers always tend to suffer when he's made capain. Ponting is one of few whose numbers actually grew while he was captain.
Disagree. The fact that most of his predecessors did almost as good as he did means that there is no proof of him doing an exceptionally good job as a captain based on statistics. It just goes to show that a strong Australian team will win matches, and make the captain look good.
Disagree. The fact that most of his predecessors did almost as good as he did means that there is no proof of him doing an exceptionally good job as a captain based on statistics. It just goes to show that a strong Australian team will win matches' date=' and make the captain look good.[/quote'] What you’re conveniently missing is the fact that at various points of their careers, both Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh endured some barren patches with their willow. I clearly remember, at one point, Taylor went something 22 test innings without a single test 50, yes that almost 12-13 test matches without a 50. Then, it was obvious that had he not been captain, he would have definitely been dropped from the team. Steve Waugh didn’t have to endure such torrid times, but he was very close to getting dropped from the team at one point. In fact, if I remember right, it was during one of the Ashes series when Waugh, despite being captain, was desperately close to being dropped, when he scored a 100 against the English. And theatrically, the runs that bought up his century were during the last over of the day too. Ponting has never had to endure such lean periods.
:hmmm: is this some kind of a sarcastic joke ??? i seriously fail to find the humour Ponting's captaincy record is 33 wins from 44 matches
Blue_brigade's claim is so obviously wrong that I won't even bother to look up how many we have actually won. Ganguly won 21 as captain. If you add the wins by Sehwag/Kumble/Dravid/Dhoni' date=' in the 2000s itself, India has won more than 33.[/quote'] Sorry it was my mistake. I should have said Ponting as a player. Ponting has been involved in 84 games where Aussies have been victorious..whereas India as a team has managed win to 96 games.
on the contrary' date=' i want Australia to thrash the south african team.. i want clean sweep. these proteas think they are a great test side.. show this packhole graeme smith what he deserves.. i,e spanking[/quote'] Aussie thrash SA but ponting does not score. Now that will be fulfilling.