My man, VVS, up to 11th. ICC ratings.

Donny

Do I know how to get the best out of walking wickets ? Ponting, Laxman and Hayden all came good. :regular_smile: VVS up 5 places and Hayden back into the top 10. Rahul Dravid drops out of the top 20 for the first time in 11 years. Batsmen 1 S.Chanderpaul 890 2 K. Sangakkara 886 3 Mohd Yousuf 880 4 Mike Hussey 877 5 Ricky Ponting 859 6 M. Jayawardena 837 7 Kevin Pietersen 829 8 Younis Khan 799 9 Matthew Hayden 780 10 Jacques Kallis 774 11 VVS Laxman 742 13 V Sehwag 735 14 M Clarke 714 16 A Symonds 679 18 G Gambhir 670 (up 11 places) 19 S Tendulkar 665 26 R Dravid 643 Bowlers 1 M. Muralidaran 895 2 Dale Steyn 847 3 Stuart Clark 829 4 Makhaya Ntini 760 5 Brett Lee 755 6 Ryan Sidebottom 738 7= Chaminda Vaas 684 Shoaib Akhtar 684 9 Harbhajan Singh 658 10 Shane Bond 654 15 Zaheer Khan 619 24 I Pathan 538 28 M Johnson 523 36 I Sharma 461

Just looked at the list ... What the hell is Shoaib Akthar doing in the top 10 bowlers list? Thats a joke. And Shane Bond is still in the list. Seriously' date=' how often does this list get updated?[/quote'] After every Test match. A little research and you could've easily found this out. Akhtar is coming from a high of 855 points and #2 in Dec. 2003/Jan. 2004. His rating has declined to the present 684 due to loss of form and not playing. Whenever a player misses a Test, for whatever reason, he loses 10% of his rating points. Bond has lost 77 points since he last played for NZ, in Nov. 2007.
After every Test match. A little research and you could've easily found this out. Akhtar is coming from a high of 855 points and #2 in Dec. 2003/Jan. 2004. His rating has declined to the present 684 due to loss of form and not playing. Whenever a player misses a Test, for whatever reason, he loses 10% of his rating points. Bond has lost 77 points since he last played for NZ, in Nov. 2007.
Oh ok cool ... thanks. I think I knew it was every test match (the updating, that is) ... but still Im suprised that both Bond and Akthar feature in the list despite the fact that they havent played a Test since last year. Do you know how many points they lose if they miss a match? Also, how do they gauge a bowlers form? I assume its some combination of average, wickets and strike rate. In any case ... they need a new points system because it doesnt accurately reflect who the best 10 bowlers in the world are today. I think the top 10 for the batting list is pretty much spot on though.

Those ratings are such a farce. Sidebottom plays most of his tests against New Zeleand on low, swinging wickets vs piss poor batsmen and he's now the worlds best left arm bowler? I can't wait till this charlatan comes to India and suffers the same fate as guys like Steyn/Lee/Clark who look like club cricketers in these harsh conditions.

^ Remember Sidebottom troubled many of the Indian batsman last time in England. Oh and btw ... there isnt such thing as a swinging wicket. Its the weather conditions that influence the swing and not the pitch. I still rate Sidebottom. Anyone who can keep the seam bolt upright, swing the ball both ways and land it at a good length just outside off stump consistently is a good bowler. Id rate Zaheer as the best left-arm paceman in the world today though.

There may actually be something known as a "swinging wicket"...a pitch that has a lot of moisture on it tends to aid swing as the moisture coming of the wicket creates a denser medium in which the ball has to travel through and any asymmetry to the aerodynamics of the ball will be accentuated under these circumstances, leading to more pronounced swing. So, Fontaine may have made a discovery and coined a new term. Of course, he could have meant "swinging wicket" like the term "walking wicket" i.e. a batsman that goes down swinging.

There may actually be something known as a "swinging wicket"...a pitch that has a lot of moisture on it tends to aid swing as the moisture coming of the wicket creates a denser medium in which the ball has to travel through and any asymmetry to the aerodynamics of the ball will be accentuated under these circumstances, leading to more pronounced swing. So, Fontaine may have made a discovery and coined a new term. Of course, he could have meant "swinging wicket" like the term "walking wicket" i.e. a batsman that goes down swinging.
If there was that much moisture in the wicket, why would bowlers even be thinking swing ? They'd just put it up there, on a length, stack the cordon and let the surface do the work.
If there was that much moisture in the wicket, why would bowlers even be thinking swing ? They'd just put it up there, on a length, stack the cordon and let the surface do the work.
Yes indeed...which makes "swinging wickets" the most dangerous of all...seam, pace, bounce and swing all expected. What could be better?
Mate, I'm a motivator, not a miracle worker.
Are you suggesting Dravid is LESS than a walking wicket? A "sitting duck" wicket perhaps?