Murali Vijay Krishna - Debut

fineleg

my best wishes to Vijay..hope he has a decent outing in the middle..even a solid 30 or 40 wud be good enuf because we want a good start..As MSD said this is international cricket and there can be no excuses u have to grab the opportunity with both hands wen u get it..so go for it Vijay :two_thumbs_up:
he is just travelling 680 km from Nasik to Nagpur cutting short his other domestic match. Must be thrilling and scary for the lad at the same time. It'll be good if India can bat first. Will that happen? :angelic:

I think it's poor decision. History clearly indicates debut test batsmen fail more often than they succeed and it's even harder for openers. I would have preferred someone who's actually faced the Australian bowlers and has even a little bit of experience. Jaffer or Kohli but they're setting up this guy to fail.

Guest HariSampath

Vijay has done his job, played very well on his debut for 33 off 53 balls, against a quality team in a crucial game. Start of 98 on first morning against some hostile bowling, and he displayed excellent technique and temperament, and got out to a really good ball. Viru patted his head as he walked off, and so we may guess he has made the grade as a good batter to watch in future.

Failed to make it count in PERFECT batting conditions and facing a remarkably poor attack.
Hey he did the job he was brought in for ... he counter attacked and was undone by a good ball. Given that this is his debut I think he batted well. There is also another innings to go. This guy looks like a good batsman.
Guest HariSampath

Vijay played very well...just joined the test side 36 hrs before the game, got into the 11, first morning of a crucial test, had to face Lee and Johnson, and scored 33 , got off India to a start of 98...and got out to a very good ball. What else you want ? Tell me how many fresh faces have got a better debut ?

a very good debut innings from him..ppl will always complain but he got a good ball..as Ravi Shastri said the elements abt his batting is really good..the time he has to play the ball the running btw the wickets his technique everything is good..so a very good start for Vijay..

good partnership with Veeru up the order.. should have continued and go on to make a big one.. but nevertheless good decent start to a career. As Ravi Shastri said "Even though it's not the rite wicket to judge a batsman, still i like the look of him, the mindset, the shots, and the running between the wicket." second those comments from Ravi.

Looked pretty good out there, has a very good technique but like Shastri said, its difficult to judge his batting skills on this wicket, its a very good wicket to bat on
Agreed...still well played on his debut..also gave a good start alongside Sehwag...now both he and Sehwag have lots of time to discuss 2nd innings strategy...:winky:

The only thing I noticed which was quite strange is that he's probably the only test batsman I've seen who's actually on the constant look out for a quick single. And most of his singles arent easy, unhurried shots that went into the gap, they're mostly a quick drop of the bottom hand, deliberately playing the ball into the gap and really hustling to complete the run. VERY odd for a test batsman, that too for an opener. I guess, it not something worth complaining about. :D

Guest HariSampath
Batted well. Need to see more but Could he be the new number 3?
Vijay is the Perfect # 3. See what I posted 2 days back, just before he was called up for selection.
Vijay's batting approach is great. I have seen him play the 4 day games, settling in for an hour, playing in the straight V, getting a 50, then opening up to hit huge sixes. He , in fact would be a great #3 too.
Guest HariSampath

Here is an interesting incident that happened a few months back, in Feb/March this year. It was a Ranji One day game between Tamil nadu and Hyderabad, and I had gone to see the match in Chennai. It was at the Ramachandra medical college ground , and there were probably around 100 people watching, including officials, journos etc. TN were chasing around 270-280 I think and had lost 3 quick wickets, for nothing. Pragyan Ojha was bowling beautifully, and Badrinath and Vijay were trying to get settled in. Although there were 100s of students in the college hostel, no one took even a scant interest in the game, didnt even turn around to look, and I was quite sad at the low levels of interest. Both the batters got to their Fifties, and then Vijay started carting the ball around, and hit a couple of massive sixes off Ojha. A solitary window opened on the 5th story of the adjoining hostel, and two students yelled " hit one here". It would have been a good 100 - 110 yards from the middle, towards wide longon and the next over Vijay came down the pitch and hit a six right through THAT window on the 5th flloor. I was absolutely stunned and as soon as the boys threw the ball back, Vijay had a small fan following of some 50-60 students who all gathered on the terrace to watch him play :D ( it was probably a huge fluke, but I just wonder if he did have an impish spirit in him to aim for it there ). This was reported in the newspapers too next day. He got a 100 along with Badri and won the game too, followed up with 2 more hundreds next week I knew this chap should and would play for India.

Guest HariSampath

what "Chennai pattru"...dude, I am saying that even before Vijay was selected, my opinion was he is a better #3. In fact he wasnt always an opener for TN too. Anirudh Srikkanth , KKD, and Vijay were all rotated, and Vijay played most of last few games as a #3. And if he is a very good prospect, why not play him at #3 , after all GG and Viru are the settled openers and no one wants that to change, and as Dravid is going to be dropped after this test, maybe Vijay should play at #3

Guest HariSampath

Here is the Ranji oneday game and the sixer incident I referred to in earlier post...Badri missed a 100, just Vijay got a 100 I remember now. http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/01/stories/2008030153732000.htm

Ramkumar’s exit allowed Hyderabad to choke Tamil Nadu’s run flow. With S. Badrinath not timing the ball as he might have wished, it fell on Vijay to control the chase. Vijay formed crucial partnerships with Badrinath and the left-handed R. Prasanna. He also got the residents of the hostel adjoining the ground behind Tamil Nadu after a splendidly struck six (one of five he hit) entered the premises through an open window. Vijay fell to a line-ball stumping with Tamil Nadu 24 short, but his two paddle-swept boundaries in the vital 43rd over had helped ease the pressure. Although Pragyan Ojha continued to rip his left-arm orthodox deliveries and the running between the wickets tended on occasion to the suicidal, Sivakumar (19 n.o., 2x4) kept his head. Earlier, Abhinav Kumar compiled a fine 93 (119b, 6x4, 1x6) for Hyderabad. C. Ganapathy and R. Ashwin took three wickets each.