best time to take the batting powerplay?

cowboysfan

It will vary. Depends on batsmen and circumstances. For England, they needed to up the RR. Keeping it for the later overs did not mean anything. I think that if a batting team is in a flow, they should take it. If Sehwag or Tendulkar is going great guns, give it to him early enough. Dont allow the opposition captain to spread the field and cut the RR. Whats the use of saving it for the later overs?

An interesting pattern can be observed when the powerplays are taken. Usually, wickets fall during a powerplay than in a non-powerplay session. Perhaps, its the added pressure the batsmen cope with to score faster. India lost two wickets in the last game when they took the powerplay. Another point to note is that the ball is changed after the 34th over. Its interesting when to take the powerplay. If there are wickets in hand, why not take it in the 41-45 over, and then you have the last 5 overs to smash as well.

I think when playing against teams who have part-time bowlers, it s best to wait till the regulars have completed a spell and the part-timer comes on. Then, when the powerplay is taken, some captains might bring back the regulars thus tiring them further out and degrading their efficiency PLUS having to bowl the part-timers in the slog overs. Or, you'll be playing the part-timers in the powerplays itself. I think more teams will have 5 regular bowlers from now on.

I think when playing against teams who have part-time bowlers' date=' [b']it s best to wait till the regulars have completed a spell and the part-timer comes on. Then, when the powerplay is taken, some captains might bring back the regulars thus tiring them further out and degrading their efficiency PLUS having to bowl the part-timers in the slog overs. Or, you'll be playing the part-timers in the powerplays itself.
:two_thumbs_up: this is what i was thinking...flamy and finey think alike :winky:
I think more teams will have 5 regular bowlers from now on.
Not too sure, this one. Having all rounders always helps.

reviving this discussion about batting powerplay I'd use the batting powerplay from the 36th OVER when batting first; and to CONTROL AN EXPANDING ASKING RATE when chasing. First of all, the fielding captains lost their exclusive control of powerplay because they were dull and unimaginative in using it as an attacking option. So more power to the batting team--but the timing of the batting powerplay is tricky. It depends on various factors, and most importantly whether batting first or chasing. A team batting first, having completed 35 overs with at least six wickets in hand should take it from 36-40, to LAUNCH THE SLOG and maximise the heavy scoring in the last 15 overs. It can be delayed to the 40th over if fewer wickets remain, but must never be left to the last 5 overs. For a chasing team, the batting powerplay is a valuable INSURANCE for handling the pressure of the end overs. Unless it is essential, they should never use it till the last 5 overs. It should always be available to boost the runrate when required, and must be used when the asking rate begins to shoot up, in which case it should not be left too late.Keeping wickets in hand is always absolutely essential. (And of course the fielding captain MUST make creative use of the bowling powerplay.) The batting powerplay is a great innovation, and food for thought--- let's keep this discussion going! (same article posted by rugbyfan on PLANET CRICKET forums, 19/8/09 -- a very similar discussion on the appropriate timing of batting powerplay)