Indian success more to do with luck than skill: Ponting

Feed

Ricky Ponting wrote in his book that he felt that Dhoni's team is more suited for T20 than Tests as in the former luck matters. More... Dhoni and Co better suited for T20 than Tests, felt Ponting PTI Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 3:11 PM Tags: AUS TOUR 7832b878-b315-43bb-86f9-67c5541fc9a3100_100_secvpf.gifRicky Ponting MELBOURNE: Blissfully unaware of the series bashing that awaited him in India, Australian captain Ricky Ponting considered Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his men better-suited for Twenty20 cricket rather than Tests after their World Cup triumph in South Africa. Recalling the success of Indian team in the Twenty20 World Cup, Ponting wrote in his book 'Captain's Diary 2008' that “Dhoni was a classic example of a player who could damage the opposition in the shortest version, which offers little scope for a batsman to showcase his technique. Teams that are outclassed in five-day matches and even 50-over games are much more competitive in Twenty20. India offer a good example of this. The shorter the format of the game the more dangerous they become”, Ponting said. “Some of their batsmen -- Yuvraj Singh and M S Dhoni are classic examples -- can hurt you more in shorter games, because their is less opportunity to find ways of picking apart their techniques, he while adding that Form in Twenty20 really doesn't count for all that much.” Having said so, Ponting also dismissed India's successful journey to the T20 world title, attributing it to more luck and little skills. “I am not as cynical about the game as I once was, but some negatives still nag at me. There is so much luck involved in this shortened form of the game; it's not always going to be the best team that wins. I guess that's true of all sport but it seems to be accentuated here.” “Little wonder, then, that the tournament has been unpredictable, with many locals stunned that previously unbeaten South Africa was eliminated so comfortably by India”, he said. Dhoni, however, went on to prove Ponting wrong as he led India to a thumping 2-0 win in the recent four-Test series. The Tasmanian right-hander said he wondered why Dhoni had complained against him about sledging during the a one-dayer in Kochi last year. After the game, at the captain's media conference, MS Dhoni revealed that he had complained to the umpires about what he called 'harsh' language that I and some other Australian players had reputedly used on the field. “I really don't know where he was coming from. The umpires didn't have a problem, match referee Chris Broad didn't have a problem and I wonder whether Dhoni was trying to somehow square the ledger after the controversy that engulfed S Sreesanth and Harbhajan Singh in Kochi.” Ponting said “Dhoni's behaviour was rather strange as Broad had lauded his team's approach towards the game. I actually sat on the plane right behind Chris Broad, and he made a point of turning around and congratulating me for the way out team approached the game.”

I think we have totally mentally disentegrated them from Symonds turning to drink, gilly slagging of sachin and co, ponting we are lucky, hayden you are a 3rd world country and smashing them in oids in oz and now battering them in test series. They are petrified of us, obssessed with us,can't stop thinking about us. We are right in their heads and like a headaches smashing away at them. STFU now you aussie losers, stop talking about us and making 101 ecxuses.

I think we have totally mentally disentegrated them from Symonds turning to drink, gilly slagging of sachin and co, ponting we are lucky, hayden you are a 3rd world country and smashing them in oids in oz and now battering them in test series. They are petrified of us, obssessed with us,can't stop thinking about us. We are right in their heads and like a headaches smashing away at them. STFU now you aussie losers, stop talking about us and making 101 ecxuses.
Well said.:two_thumbs_up:
Reminds me of Shane Warne's nightmares, thanks to one Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. 10 years ago, it was one person who tormented another. This time around, everyone in the Indian side (except RD may be) who had a chance to play have rubbed it in the aussie wounds. Starting from Santhakumaran Sreesanth, to spectators at Wankhade, to Bajji, to Kumble to Zaheer to Gambhir to VVS... we have given them nightmares which will take another 10 years for them to forget. Well done Indian boys... I wont be surprised if McCullam shouts "Well bowled Ishant/Bajji" when Ponting is at the crease.
Reminds me of Shane Warne's nightmares' date=' thanks to one Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. 10 years ago, it was one person who tormented another. This time around, everyone in the Indian side (except RD may be) who had a chance to play have rubbed it in the aussie wounds. Starting from Santhakumaran Sreesanth, to spectators at Wankhade, to Bajji, to Kumble to Zaheer to Gambhir to VVS... we have given them nightmares which will take another 10 years for them to forget. Well done Indian boys... [b']I wont be surprised if McCullam shouts "Well bowled Ishant/Bajji" when Ponting is at the crease.
that would be awesome, that would really get under Pontings skin
Reminds me of Shane Warne's nightmares' date=' thanks to one Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. 10 years ago, it was one person who tormented another. This time around, everyone in the Indian side (except RD may be) who had a chance to play have rubbed it in the aussie wounds. Starting from Santhakumaran Sreesanth, to spectators at Wankhade, to Bajji, to Kumble to Zaheer to Gambhir to VVS... we have given them nightmares which will take another 10 years for them to forget. Well done Indian boys... I wont be surprised if McCullam shouts "Well bowled Ishant/Bajji" when Ponting is at the crease.[/quote'] At least Shane Warne and Steve Waugh had the balls to admit to the night mares. But Ponting and co are cry babies. Still crying.