Duckworth-Lewis

mhr123

"Frankly speaking I don't understand Duckworth-Lewis. I just wait for the umpire's decision." Mahendra Singh Dhoni is one among a million who can't understand the method ^^ ur are not alone Mahi ... we all are in the same boat.. any one of our members understand his method...

D/L is a statistical extrapolation method that tries to predict how many runs a team needs to have scored in x amount of overs, with y amount of wickets falling, for them to possibly reach a (x+a) score, with the fall of (y+b) wickets (or), as in the case with the 4th ODI, predicts what would be the (x+a) score of a team that would lose (y+b) wickets, if they were at a score of x, for the loss of y wickets. D/L places a lot of importance on wickets in hand and justifiably so. I think its the best of all the systems out there.

D/L is a statistical extrapolation method that tries to predict how many runs a team needs to have scored in x amount of overs, with y amount of wickets falling, for them to possibly reach a (x+a) score, with the fall of (y+b) wickets (or), as in the case with the 4th ODI, predicts what would be the (x+a) score of a team that would lose (y+b) wickets, if they were at a score of x, for the loss of y wickets. D/L places a lot of importance on wickets in hand and justifiably so. I think its the best of all the systems out there.
nerd.jpg
d/l doesnt take into account the powerplay rules.
Some guys are complaining that it's too complicated and you want it to take powerplay rules into account. Wouldn't that make it even more complicated :) ? Anyway, it is a statistical system and we haven't had too many games with 20 overs power plays. But, it can still learn from the first 15 overs powerplay which have been going on since the last 2 decades. How much it can learn from that is something noone knows as the games have been changing rapidly over the years.