No say for Captain and Coach in selection

SachDan

Earlier Captain had the power to choose a certain player.Now all he can do in a selection meeting is keep mum and accept whoever selectors decides to select as Captain and Coach no longer have the voting power in selections.
yep but can select the final XI
Earlier Captain had the power to choose a certain player.Now all he can do in a selection meeting is keep mum and accept whoever selectors decides to select as Captain and Coach no longer have the voting power in selections.
Never officially as far as I know...captain and coach were part of selection meetings but have never had a vote.
What nonsense. Tendulkar used to push for a couple of other Bombay players like Kambli, Bahutule and Amol (who was never picked, sadly - one of the great crimes of selectors through the 90s, ignoring one of India's finest and most complete batsmen), Gangluddin fought with selectors and tried playing politics so his picks - guys like Kaif, Yuvi, Harbhajan and in the 03/04 tour to Aus, Kumble - would be given chances, and aside from that almost no captains recently have had their way in selection. From what I understand, back when India toured South Africa under Dravid - Dravid wanted Badrinath picked in the touring squad. If what you say had a shred of credibility/wasn't utter BS, it'd have happened. Unfortunately Badri didn't tour then. Meanwhile, coaches never had a role in selection, and half of them never knew what the **** was going on in domestics either way. Get your facts right.
I'm all for this move as long as the selectors are competent..which the current lot are' date='thank God.[/quote'] Look up Ravindra Jadeja and Ravi Inder Jadeja. Srikkanth and friends failed to tell the difference recently, despite the fact that one's a complete no-name in all circuits and the other's a highly regarded youth level player.
Look up Ravindra Jadeja and Ravi Inder Jadeja. Srikkanth and friends failed to tell the difference recently' date=' despite the fact that one's a complete no-name in all circuits and the other's a highly regarded youth level player.[/quote'] Well there certainly is a weak link the 5 member committee..besides that episode we had the whole RP Singh issue being leaked out recently. But the fact is, the standard is a definitely better than what it used to be 6-7 years ago. I'm grateful cheeka is at the helm during this all important transition phase,tbh. edit: thanks for the welcome(of sorts) punjabi and desi.