Sehwaaaaaaaag!

flamy

The Indian team has so many role-models, its hard to idolize any single team member; Dhoni - cool head Yuvraj - Sheer Talent Sehwag - Attitude Dravid - Hard work and application Gambhir - Grit Zak - Fighter Bhajji - Heart in his sleeve/patriot Sachin - ( All of the above) * 10
:two_thumbs_up:

The impact Sehwag's had on our country's cricket is immeasurable. His freewheeeling attitude is a like a breadth of fresh air and his outrageous approach infuses so much confidence and strenght into not just his team-mates, but also the spectators. But, beyond all that, he gave us the belief that we can conquer the teams not just in India, but throughout the world. There were times when we quaked in our boots when facing 140+ kmph bowlers. Even debutant quicks used to humble us routinely, but Sehwag's approach to quicks gave us new direction. I am sure that guys like Ganguly started playing pace with more freedom seeing Sehwag's approach. As far as milestones go in Indian cricket history, the debut of Sehwag is an important one. Before that, it last happened a looooong time ago.. In 1989 to be precise.

In his connection, I always think of one particular example – and it relates to when England came touring under Nasser Hussain. Sehwag, then batting low down the order, was sitting in the dressing room, fretting at the sight of his senior colleagues “tackling” Ashley Giles’ round the wicket, wide of leg stump line with their pads, butts and other parts of the anatomy. In course of an eruption of profanity of which saala is the only quotable word, Sehwag blasted his mates and, in précis, said wait till I get out there, I’ll teach that %%$ a lesson. Sure enough, his chance came. He greeted Giles with a murderous mow that almost decapitated short square leg, followed it up with a clinical reverse sweep, ran down the wicket to loft him over midwicket, charged down again to hit inside out over extra cover – and in the space of three overs, forced Hussain to take Giles out of the attack. That was not “instinctive”, as the dictionary defines “instinct”. Rather, it was the result of Sehwag reducing the game to its essence: There was, he realized, no percentage in standing there watching the balls go by. Nor, given that line, was there the danger of his getting out bowled or leg before. That left “caught” – and reduced it to a straight contest between a bowler clearly unsure of his ability to effectively bowl the more attacking lines, against a batsman confident of his own mastery of the grammar of batsmanship. He had figured, too, that by opting for the cynically defensive ploy of packing the leg field and getting Giles to bowl way outside leg stump, Nasser Hussain had painted himself into a corner from where there was no Plan B in sight. By thus eliminating the possibilities, he ended up with a realization of his opportunity: the bowler was vulnerable, there were runs to be had, and a ball hit for four is a surer defence than a ball poked at with tentative bat. To say he is “instinctive”, “unthinking” is to do him an injustice: with the bat, he is the clearest thinker of the lot – which is why I invariably anticipate his arrival at the batting crease, but am never “astonished” by what he does when he is there. Contrast these quotes, from Sehwag and Strauss, on the former’s visceral display of the fourth evening: When asked about his 68-ball 83, Sehwag suggested that he hadn’t done anything differently. “It was my normal batting and I was not going after any particular player,” he said. “They were giving me width for the cut and I just played my shots.” [link]http://prempanicker.com/index.php[\link] Strauss saw it very differently. “He plays a game most people are unfamiliar with,” he said, with something approaching amazement. “He almost manipulates the field. You change it, and it’s like he says: ‘Right, I’m going to hit it somewhere else now’.” The Sehwag quote distils the essence of his batting – a bad ball is a bad ball, whether you are chasing 50, or 500, because the batsman’s primary responsibility is to play the one ball being bowled at him at that moment. The Strauss quote in contrast invites a one-word comment: Precisely. What else is a batsman out there to do? There is a footnote to the Ashley Giles incident that merits mention in this context. Seated next to Sehwag at the time was then vice captain Rahul Dravid. As the batsman threatened to visit untold horrors on a bowler who had clearly annoyed him by playing a brand of cricket he found repulsive, Dravid intervened to offer some advice. In precis: Don’t be in a hurry, go out there, take your time, get used to the conditions first... Sehwag’s response? Kya buddon ki tarah baat karte ho, yaar!

Guest dada_rocks
Sehwag: If the ball is in MY area, I will HIT it Brutality in his speeches too :hysterical:
Do you guys remember how nonchalantly and in a matter of factly way he said after kicking Symonds in IPL that actually he had a flight back to Delhi and his wife and kids were batting and he didn;t want to miss the flight....... If someone else had said one might have thought he/she is making it up to rub it in. but this amla jat is brutally honest and he didn't even know his words might sound like brag..
Guest dada_rocks
In his connection, I always think of one particular example – and it relates to when England came touring under Nasser Hussain. Sehwag, then batting low down the order, was sitting in the dressing room, fretting at the sight of his senior colleagues “tackling†Ashley Giles’ round the wicket, wide of leg stump line with their pads, butts and other parts of the anatomy. In course of an eruption of profanity of which saala is the only quotable word, Sehwag blasted his mates and, in précis, said wait till I get out there, I’ll teach that %%$ a lesson. Sure enough, his chance came. He greeted Giles with a murderous mow that almost decapitated short square leg, followed it up with a clinical reverse sweep, ran down the wicket to loft him over midwicket, charged down again to hit inside out over extra cover – and in the space of three overs, forced Hussain to take Giles out of the attack. That was not “instinctiveâ€, as the dictionary defines “instinctâ€. Rather, it was the result of Sehwag reducing the game to its essence: There was, he realized, no percentage in standing there watching the balls go by. Nor, given that line, was there the danger of his getting out bowled or leg before. That left “caught†– and reduced it to a straight contest between a bowler clearly unsure of his ability to effectively bowl the more attacking lines, against a batsman confident of his own mastery of the grammar of batsmanship. He had figured, too, that by opting for the cynically defensive ploy of packing the leg field and getting Giles to bowl way outside leg stump, Nasser Hussain had painted himself into a corner from where there was no Plan B in sight. By thus eliminating the possibilities, he ended up with a realization of his opportunity: the bowler was vulnerable, there were runs to be had, and a ball hit for four is a surer defence than a ball poked at with tentative bat. To say he is “instinctiveâ€, “unthinking†is to do him an injustice: with the bat, he is the clearest thinker of the lot – which is why I invariably anticipate his arrival at the batting crease, but am never “astonished†by what he does when he is there. Contrast these quotes, from Sehwag and Strauss, on the former’s visceral display of the fourth evening: When asked about his 68-ball 83, Sehwag suggested that he hadn’t done anything differently. “It was my normal batting and I was not going after any particular player,†he said. “They were giving me width for the cut and I just played my shots.†[link]http://prempanicker.com/index.php[link] Strauss saw it very differently. “He plays a game most people are unfamiliar with,†he said, with something approaching amazement. “He almost manipulates the field. You change it, and it’s like he says: ‘Right, I’m going to hit it somewhere else now’.†The Sehwag quote distils the essence of his batting – a bad ball is a bad ball, whether you are chasing 50, or 500, because the batsman’s primary responsibility is to play the one ball being bowled at him at that moment. The Strauss quote in contrast invites a one-word comment: Precisely. What else is a batsman out there to do? There is a footnote to the Ashley Giles incident that merits mention in this context. Seated next to Sehwag at the time was then vice captain Rahul Dravid. As the batsman threatened to visit untold horrors on a bowler who had clearly annoyed him by playing a brand of cricket he found repulsive, Dravid intervened to offer some advice. In precis: Don’t be in a hurry, go out there, take your time, get used to the conditions first... Sehwag’s response? Kya buddon ki tarah baat karte ho, yaar!
Ny the time this specimen hangs his boot many a pretender to the top crown will be way behind him..
In his connection, I always think of one particular example – and it relates to when England came touring under Nasser Hussain. Sehwag, then batting low down the order, was sitting in the dressing room, fretting at the sight of his senior colleagues “tackling” Ashley Giles’ round the wicket, wide of leg stump line with their pads, butts and other parts of the anatomy. In course of an eruption of profanity of which saala is the only quotable word, Sehwag blasted his mates and, in précis, said wait till I get out there, I’ll teach that %%$ a lesson. Sure enough, his chance came. He greeted Giles with a murderous mow that almost decapitated short square leg, followed it up with a clinical reverse sweep, ran down the wicket to loft him over midwicket, charged down again to hit inside out over extra cover – and in the space of three overs, forced Hussain to take Giles out of the attack. That was not “instinctive”, as the dictionary defines “instinct”. Rather, it was the result of Sehwag reducing the game to its essence: There was, he realized, no percentage in standing there watching the balls go by. Nor, given that line, was there the danger of his getting out bowled or leg before. That left “caught” – and reduced it to a straight contest between a bowler clearly unsure of his ability to effectively bowl the more attacking lines, against a batsman confident of his own mastery of the grammar of batsmanship. He had figured, too, that by opting for the cynically defensive ploy of packing the leg field and getting Giles to bowl way outside leg stump, Nasser Hussain had painted himself into a corner from where there was no Plan B in sight. By thus eliminating the possibilities, he ended up with a realization of his opportunity: the bowler was vulnerable, there were runs to be had, and a ball hit for four is a surer defence than a ball poked at with tentative bat. To say he is “instinctive”, “unthinking” is to do him an injustice: with the bat, he is the clearest thinker of the lot – which is why I invariably anticipate his arrival at the batting crease, but am never “astonished” by what he does when he is there. Contrast these quotes, from Sehwag and Strauss, on the former’s visceral display of the fourth evening: When asked about his 68-ball 83, Sehwag suggested that he hadn’t done anything differently. “It was my normal batting and I was not going after any particular player,” he said. “They were giving me width for the cut and I just played my shots.” [link]http://prempanicker.com/index.php[link] Strauss saw it very differently. “He plays a game most people are unfamiliar with,” he said, with something approaching amazement. “He almost manipulates the field. You change it, and it’s like he says: ‘Right, I’m going to hit it somewhere else now’.” The Sehwag quote distils the essence of his batting – a bad ball is a bad ball, whether you are chasing 50, or 500, because the batsman’s primary responsibility is to play the one ball being bowled at him at that moment. The Strauss quote in contrast invites a one-word comment: Precisely. What else is a batsman out there to do? There is a footnote to the Ashley Giles incident that merits mention in this context. Seated next to Sehwag at the time was then vice captain Rahul Dravid. As the batsman threatened to visit untold horrors on a bowler who had clearly annoyed him by playing a brand of cricket he found repulsive, Dravid intervened to offer some advice. In precis: Don’t be in a hurry, go out there, take your time, get used to the conditions first... Sehwag’s response? Kya buddon ki tarah baat karte ho, yaar!
Good read. Thanks ! Hope you don't mind if I make it an article. Edit: never mind. I realized it is from Panicker's blog.
Sehwag in 2008
Player  	Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs 	HS  	Ave  	BF  	SR  	100  	50  	  	
V Sehwag  	13  	25  	1  	1445  	319  	60.20  	1683  	85.85  	3  	6 

Batting average of 60, SR of 85.85 ?!!?!!! :omg: What is the Indian record for most runs in a calendar year ?

He needs 344 to beat Yusuf Someone tell him, he'll probably reply with something like "yeh, I have made 300 before, so this is no problem"