Now, Yuvraj gives securitymen a scare

CHANDIGARH: After Zaheer Khan's brush up with security officials in Chennai, the latest to cause a controversy on this front is batsman Yuvraj Singh, who came out of the security ring to go to his father's petrol pump at Sector 17 on Wednesday night. Yuvraj left the Taj Hotel in a white Honda CRV at around 8:30 pm on Wednesday evening. Senior officers told TOI that he never asked for any permission from the securitymen before leaving the hotel. An ASI was 'forcibly' sent along with the star cricketer, the officers informed. However, the ASI was also shooed away by Yuvraj once he reached the petrol pump, an officer claimed. The cricketer stayed at the petrol pump for nearly two hours, and returned back to the team hotel at 10:30 in the night. Yuvraj's father owns a petrol pump in the busy commercial hub of Sector 17 and the father-son along with a common friend had a couple of drinks too, according to sources. :cheers: This was enough to make the UT police see red, who have made elaborate security arrangements for the cricketers in the city as nearly 600 odd personnel are giving round the clock duty at the hotel Taj, where the teams are staying. "Spinner Harbhajan had asked for permission to meet his friend at a farmhouse in Zirakpur. We denied that. However, Yuvraj left the place on his own," said a top cop. Later, SP (Security) Hardeep Singh Doon has asked the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) to instruct all the players not to breach the security ring. Doon said that PCA has been asked to inform the players to ask the camp commander (DSP) stationed at Taj Hotel before making any outing plans. "It is good for the cricketers and for the cops if the security rings are not breached. What Yuvraj did is a breach and the responsibility of the entire teams rests on us, " said the SP. People close to the cricketer informed that since he belonged to city, he was well aware of the situations in the city and this was why he took the "risk". They added that on the day of arriving in the city, he had visited his home. The SP also informed that on Wednesday the English team wanted to go out for shopping together but were not allowed to on the grounds that the police could not ensure the security of nearly 20 persons in a market place. "They were allowed to go in small groups," said the SP.

I dont understand this part. Whats with the fuss about all the security for the Indian players? O.K, today, they're getting V.I.P security with commandos swarming all over them and their movements constantly monitored 24X7, with prior approval required for all their actions, but what happens once this series is over? Do they still get the the SAME level of security ALL the time? Probably not, so whats the fuss now? Sample this, the same time that the India-Engand ODI series was going on, there was this FC match that was happening in the same city ( forget which city it was, maybe B'lore), where Rahul Dravid was playing in that match. And mostly, for that match, there would have been no security whatsoever. So, a Rahul Dravid playing a FC match needs no security at all, while a Rahul Dravid playing a test match, gets Z category security? Thats just stupid coz, heavens forbid if a terror orgnization is wanting to target any Indian players, they'll just wait it out till they play a FC match and strike. Even now, there are many FC matches happening with many current and potential Indian stars participating and they get no security at all. And does this V.I.P security extend to their homes too, once this series is over? Probably not. At best, they will get two lathi-wielding contables, roaming around their houses. So, what does this mean? That the Indian govt. thinks that the security threat exists for the players ONLY when they play international cricket? This has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in my life, especially since it involves the lives and security of our cricketers.

This is thing thats flummoxed me about our cricketers' security. You give them security befitting Heads of States, when playing sensitive series' and once that series is over, everything is back to normal. This is akin to saying Sonia Gandhi will be given security only when she is addressing public rallies while otherwise, she is just a normal citizen. If I am part of a terror organization wanting to harm any of our cricketers, I would be laughing my bottom off, thinking 'A'right, I'll just wait till the series gets over :haha:' And it gets worse. All of Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Badrinath, Parthiv Patel, Virat Kohli, Pradeep Sangwan, Pujara, Karthik etc are playing FC cricket now and those games get mediocre security at best, both at the ground and in the hotels. So, does that mean the life Yusuf Pathan ( a player who represented India less than 3 weeks ago) is any less valuable than say Munaf Patel's? The contradictions are so glaring, its almost impossible to miss. Its unbelievable that we spend 1000s of crores equipping our security agencies with men and machine power and yet they make the most basic of logical mistakes? :dontknow: