1000 runs in a year : Isnt this getting a bit tedious?

f.b.m

MOST WICKETS 74 - Dale Steyn (RSA) 13 matches, average 20.01 63 - Mitchell Johnson (Aust) 14 matches, average 29.01 63 - Harbhajan Singh (Ind) 13 matches, average 31.53 57 - Brett Lee (Aust) 14 matches, average 33.05 54 - Daniel Vettori (NZ) 14 matches, average 26.12 54 - Makhaya Ntini (RSA) 15 matches, average 28.46 47 - Ryan Sidebottom (Eng) 8 matches, average 20.25 46 - Jimmy Anderson (Eng) 11 matches, average 29.84 43 - Morne Morkel (RSA) 13 matches, average 32.16 42 - Muttiah Muralitharan (SL) 6* matches, average 23.71 * currently playing a Test against Bangladesh
Very telling list. Even the most prolific bowler in this year (and there is only one of them) averages above 20. Compare this to say, 2006 when Murali completely obliterated every team with 96 wickets at 16 a piece.
Very telling list. Even the most prolific bowler in this year (and there is only one of them) averages above 20. Compare this to say' date=' 2006 [b']when Murali completely obliterated every team with 96 wickets at 16 a piece.
:omg: this year he had to share his spoils with mendis:cantstop:n he played less matches
u look into stats too much.ponting never played mendis-murali in their own backyard,sachin did.ponting's runs came usually in lost or drawn causes.not the case with sachin.still sachin averages higher. and about zak n ishant.they did not play all the matches,because of injuries.and wen they played ,it was on patta wickets where there is not much help for them,so less wickets
MCG test boosted Ponting's overall record for 2008.As rox said,Ponting didn't play an innings through out the year that had a say on his team winning or saving a match! Where as Sachin's form through out the year in crucial times was quite instrumental for Team India piling up good scores.Be it in tests or ODIs :two_thumbs_up:
how does tht make ponting a poor player?? werent we defending sachin for the same criticism (tht not winning/ saving a match) though many of us here were claiming tht ponting has been foundout.. but he still endedup scoring 1000+ runs at a decent average... well we can spin it however we wud like to using patta pitches etc etc. but the fact is none of our bowlers can run through a side and the average and the wkts column shows tht.... if ponting was an indian, im sure he wud have been rated much higher than sachin..... we in general do overrate our players..
how does tht make ponting a poor player?? werent we defending sachin for the same criticism (tht not winning/ saving a match) though many of us here were claiming tht ponting has been foundout.. but he still endedup scoring 1000+ runs at a decent average... well we can spin it however we wud like to using patta pitches etc etc. but the fact is none of our bowlers can run through a side and the average and the wkts column shows tht.... if ponting was an indian, im sure he wud have been rated much higher than sachin..... we in general do overrate our players..
who said ponting is a poor player? u think sachin is rated higher than ponting only 4 his batting?its sachin;s humility,the way he carries himself,his honesty that makes him much greater than ponting.even in batting alone,sachin hit two crucial knocks in CB series finals IN aus.wat did ponting do? if ponting was indeed a genius,how did novice like ishant(and hes no freak) got him five times? about zak n ishant,they are special,they bowled much better than the wickets u get,sometimes u r unlucky.the fact that they got MOS in two consecutive series proves thier worth
I don't think anyone said Ponting had a bad year, it's just that he had been sort of figured out by some good bowlers and he struggled against them. And luckily for Ponting he didn't have to face Murali and Mendis in SL, which dragged almost everyone's avg down in the Indian team. WRT rating the players, if SRT was an Australian and Don an Indian, most people would be saying a whole lot different things about the greatest batsman ever.

As a bowler myself, the pitches are a contributing factor toward the dominance of batsmen but certainly not the only factor. At their peak performance, the bowlers listed above as the top wicket takers can be considered next to the stars of the 1990s, but note how there are massive consistency issues with many of the bowlers too. Mitchell Johnson can look distinctly pedestrian, Jimmy Anderson reaches lows of accuracy like few others, Morne Morkel can often look a dead weight and it would seem he can't string more than a few balls in the same area and so on... The pitches are a contributing factor but the raw facets of wicket taking swing like that of Wasim and Waqar or the accuracy of Ambrose and Mcgrath are simply not present anymore. The fact that Mcgrath took many wickets up until the end of his career shows that there is enough in the pitches to take wickets if you have the ability. The accuracy of bowlers these days is poor and we must never discount the fact that the world is in a slump in lacking bowling talent, with Mendis and Steyn in Tests the notable exceptions.

Did you read the post? The pitches are a contributing factor but the standard of bowling has dropped too.
I did. Did you read mine? Yes, all one sentence of it. No need for too many words. Do you think the pitches you give bowlers to bowl on have anything to do with their "standard" of bowling? Are the two mutually exclusive or are they mutually dependent?
I have to disagree. We UNDERRATE our players and so does everyone else. About time we lost this habit.
Its a surprise, but yes i agree with zuby - i think thats an interesting start to the new year :D Fans and media frequently overrate our players. cochise: 'You are wrong' - no more words, just those 3
u look into stats too much.ponting never played mendis-murali in their own backyard' date='sachin did.[b']ponting's runs came usually in lost or drawn causes.not the case with sachin.still sachin averages higher. and about zak n ishant.they did not play all the matches,because of injuries.and wen they played ,it was on patta wickets where there is not much help for them,so less wickets
i never thought i will live to read these kind of comparison posts about indian & australian batsmen! wow, how soon the cricketing times change!
u look into stats too much.ponting never played mendis-murali in their own backyard' date='sachin did.[b']ponting's runs came usually in lost or drawn causes.not the case with sachin.still sachin averages higher. and about zak n ishant.they did not play all the matches,because of injuries.and wen they played ,it was on patta wickets where there is not much help for them,so less wickets
I hope you're talking about only this year. Even then, thats not a valid point at all. As much as I don't like saying this, Ponting has several more "matchwinning" knocks than Sachin does - especially in the 4th innings of a match. It often bothers me how Wisden never includes many Sachin's innings because they have been in lost or drawn causes. Go ask Allan Donald what it feels like to be hit all over the ground in SA by one man when his team is at 62/5. Same with Shane Warne (116 in MCG), Wasim Akram, Saqlain, Pollock, McGrath, and even Curtly Ambrose and Walsh. They'll tell you that they were bowling at the best batsman in the world by a mile. In a similar way, just because Australia have drawn/lost games in which Ponting scored well in doesn't do anything to his excellent batting prowess. Yeah, Sachin is regarded as one of the nicest guys on and off the field but when we're talking about batting, batting is all that needs to be considered. I don't agree that we overrate our batsmen or players. We are criticizing people who have contributed SO much to Indian cricket - Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble - have ALL been criticized unfairly several times throughout their careers- in fact, we don't even give as much respect to Sachin (as an example) as some of the foreign fans do.