What a brilliant knock Rohit Sharma !!!

Shane

gritty and determined - Yes! brilliant - Not at all dropped catches, edgy batting, needs to play lot more in domestics and show the consistency
Following cricket matches on cricinfo does not mean you have seen it all, does it ? Sehwag too was dropped twice during his 309 legendary knock, wasn't that brilliant ? A good batsman is who makes the opposition pay for their mistakes. NO! I am not comparing Rohit with Sehwag OR Sehwag's legendary innings vs Rohit's current knock.
Following cricket matches on cricinfo does not mean you have seen it all' date=' does it ? Sehwag too was dropped twice during his 309 legendary knock, wasn't that brilliant ? A good batsman is who makes the opposition pay for their mistakes. NO! I am not comparing Rohit with Sehwag OR Sehwag's legendary innings vs Rohit's current knock.[/quote'] b_b, they are plain jealous of our Mumbai Starlet :cantstop:
gritty and determined - Yes! brilliant - Not at all dropped catches, edgy batting, needs to play lot more in domestics and show the consistency
Did you even watch this innings? I saw almost all the game and would disagree. Yes, there were drops. So? Are you also going to tell me that Sehwag's 309 is not a brilliant innings because of the dropped catches, or that Tendulkar's 98 at Centurion wasn't brilliant because he got dropped early on? Or that Steve Waugh's hundred in the 99 World Cup Super Sixes v. South Africa wasn't an outstanding knock because Gibbs spilled a chance? Rohit played two outstanding knocks. That he got dropped a couple of times or had a couple of close calls running between the wickets shouldn't detract from the quality of his strokeplay the rest of the time, especially *that* drive off RP Singh. And as far as consistency goes, he's scored 4 hundreds this domestic season plus a bunch of 50s. What's more, he's done it against the best attacks he could have faced - one ton v. Australia, another v. Praveen and RP Singh on a pitch where the ball was moving about a fair bit on day 1. So far this season, Rohit has 881 runs at an average of over 80. This includes 3 half centuries and 4 hundreds in just 11 completed innings with 2 not outs - Bombay's huge batting strength, a few innings defeats plus some ODIs meant he didn't get that many knocks. If that isn't consistency, you obviously set an incredibly high standard that only Bradman and Vijay Merchant might have conformed to.

I watched part of the inn, not the full inn he played. And ofcourse with 2nd Inn hundred, he has had a great match. My comments were only on the 1st Inn - I dont want to detract too much from his hundred, but a couple of the catches were regulation, and you have to see that if it was Intl match, they would have surely been taken and his inn would have been terminated. But your point noted and I agree I was harsh in my judgement abt Rohit.

Some of the catches Sehwag offered in his 309 were regulation. Sami's drop at deep midwicket, and Taufeeq's drop at slip were both normal chances. Gibbs dropping SRW in the 99 WC game wasn't a hard chance either. Heck I watched Gangluddin's 183 at Taunton the other day - fabulous innings, but he did get dropped a couple of times I think - one a REAL sitter at long on. And I'm also remembering Yasir Hameed plonking an absolute sitter at point when Rahul Dravid was in his 70s and went on to make 270 at Rawalpindi. There goes your theory that regulation catches are always held in int'l cricket. Almost any big innings contains good and bad shots. Lara's 400, Sobers' double for the World XI v. Aus, Waugh's twin tons at Old Trafford in 97 all contained a few loose shots. In Rohit's case those loose shots happened to be chances offered that were dropped. In the cases of other innings they may have been injudicious shots that just fortunately found gaps, or missed the ball. You're not going to slam such innings for that, why slam a fine hundred with some spectacular straight strokeplay and a few beautiful pulls because of a couple of loose strokes? He showed some incredibly classy strokeplay, a mature head and that he's learning how to string big innings together (his hundreds v. Australia and Rajasthan were in back to back games, with a 62 in between as well in the first innings v. Rajasthan) and add some consistency to his great range of shots. Good for Indian cricket.

Some of the catches Sehwag offered in his 309 were regulation. Sami's drop at deep midwicket, and Taufeeq's drop at slip were both normal chances. Gibbs dropping SRW in the 99 WC game wasn't a hard chance either. Heck I watched Gangluddin's 183 at Taunton the other day - fabulous innings, but he did get dropped a couple of times I think - one a REAL sitter at long on. And I'm also remembering Yasir Hameed plonking an absolute sitter at point when Rahul Dravid was in his 70s and went on to make 270 at Rawalpindi. There goes your theory that regulation catches are always held in int'l cricket. Almost any big innings contains good and bad shots. Lara's 400, Sobers' double for the World XI v. Aus, Waugh's twin tons at Old Trafford in 97 all contained a few loose shots. In Rohit's case those loose shots happened to be chances offered that were dropped. In the cases of other innings they may have been injudicious shots that just fortunately found gaps, or missed the ball. You're not going to slam such innings for that, why slam a fine hundred with some spectacular straight strokeplay and a few beautiful pulls because of a couple of loose strokes? He showed some incredibly classy strokeplay, a mature head and that he's learning how to string big innings together (his hundreds v. Australia and Rajasthan were in back to back games, with a 62 in between as well in the first innings v. Rajasthan) and add some consistency to his great range of shots. Good for Indian cricket.
Good point. The difference between the ball landing in the fielders' hands and clearing the boundary can sometimes be just millimeters of difference, with reg. to where the ball impacts the ball. Its not the batsman fault that the fielders dropped their catches. There is nothing called a chanceless innings or a lucky innings.
With this Rohit has surely earned a spot in the test squad if they are indeed looking for a new batsman..i surely see him replacing Badri in the squad that was chosen for England. And if Dravid calls it a day in the near future' date='he has ensured that he will be first in selectors' minds.Well done..[/quote'] yup,badri needs to either in the XI or out of the squad.thers no point carrying him. rohit has age on his side n is supertalented.even if he doesnt play in NZ,it'll be a good learning experience which will stand him well for future

From what I have seen so far I am yet to be convinced by Rohit Sharma. He dosent stamp his authority on the game and appears unable to change direction or tempo. If anything he is a test player, not one for the ODI or 20/20 arena. He does not really have developed or moved on from a year ago. What do others think?