Symonds fined for radio rant against McCullum

triam

Symonds fined for radio rant against McCullum Andrew Symonds has been fined $4000 by Cricket Australia for describing New Zealand wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum as a 'lump of s..t' during a recent interview on a satirical FM radio program. More... Cricket Australia hits Symonds for $4000 January 29, 2009 - 3:55PM Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds has been fined $4000 for referring to New Zealand star Brendon McCullum as a "lump of ****" in a radio interview. Symonds, 33, pleaded guilty at a Cricket Australia disciplinary hearing in Melbourne today to a charge of making a detrimental public comment under the Australian players' code of conduct. The Queenslander made the remark in an interview last week when he was critical of McCullum's selection for NSW in the Twenty20 final against Victoria. Symonds is expected to make a public statement later today. Symonds, who appeared in person at a hearing presided by retired judge Gordon Lewis, again apologised to McCullum, and said he was focused on returning to the field. "While the comments were intended to be light-hearted, I acknowledge that they were careless and as such I accept the fine that I have received today," he said. "I am pleased that the commissioner determined the penalty based on the full 14-minute interview, and not just the one comment that received extensive coverage. "I want to again apologise to Brendon McCullum for my comments and thank him for his understanding. "I want to reinforce that I remained committed to Cricket Australia and Queensland Cricket, and I look forward to putting this matter behind me so that I can focus on my cricket." Meanwhile, the opener dispelled any doubts over a hip injury with a well-crafted century to guide New Zealand to 5-271 in the one-day match against the Prime Minister's XI at Manuka Oval in Canberra today. McCullum, who suffered a minor hip flexor strain at training on the eve of the match, was dismissed in the final over for 114 to gain some valuable time in the middle ahead of the Chappell-Hadlee series against Australia beginning on Sunday. The one-time New South Welshman hit nine fours and a six in his 130-ball knock to help the Kiwis to a competitive total in sweltering heat. Clint McKay took 3-52 for the Justin Langer-captained side, although 18-year-old ACT left-armer Jason Behrendorff made it tough going for the Black Caps early with a spell of eight overs for just 21 runs. Langer's side might have made life more difficult for the Kiwis but dropped three sitters in the deep including McCullum twice, when he was 70 and 109. The New Zealand dasher was unusually subdued early in his innings, taking until the 32nd and 79 balls to reach 50. He and Peter Fulton (53) put on 81 for the second wicket until the No.3 was caught behind in the 28th over with the score on 112. Ross Taylor's arrival at the crease was the foot on the accelerator for the Kiwis, and he smashed four boundaries and a six in his 38 off 41 balls before being caught at long-on at 3-183. McCullum opened the shoulders in the final overs with good support from Grant Elliott (29 not out from 33 balls). The PM's side's innings will feature an eagerly anticipated battle at the top of the order between Test opening hopefuls Phil Hughes and Michael Klinger. McCullum will be rested in the field with 18-year-old ACT keeper Ryan Carters to stand behind the stumps for New Zealand.

What the hell? Symonds is becoming a serial offender and for all the rhetoric about standards / discipline, the ACB is wrapping symonds in cotton wool Remember that other idiot's rant against Harby and Ishant. I didn't mean to denigrate anyone, he said ..... C A (Crybabies Anonymous) and ACB ( A_____ holes for cricket board officials) go hand in hand, I guess. What a cop out this punishment is. This guy is essentially getting by on past glories and I wonder how many more chances he'll get before he goes fishing for real. To think that these blokes claim that the BCCI are soft when it comes to enforcing punishments, ..... , to each his own, I guess .....

Don't you just wish for the good old days when sportsmen were sportsmen and psychologists were primarily for listening to the problems of neurotic housewives? http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/388055.html

Symonds 'as ready as any player' Cricinfo staff January 28, 2009 It is still not clear whether Andrew Symonds will be part of Australia's tour to South Africa © Getty Images Andrew Symonds' psychologist Deidre Anderson believes the allrounder is unlikely to be a disruption to his team-mates should he win the backing of Cricket Australia following his latest off-field incident. However, it is unclear whether that will be enough to save his immediate future, with reports that he might be left out of the squad for the upcoming tour of South Africa. Symonds will face a code of behaviour hearing in Melbourne on Thursday and a fine of up to $5750 is the likely outcome as, despite his history of controversy, it is the first time he has been reported under Cricket Australia's code. But a report in the Australian said Cricket Australia would not let the issue end there and Symonds could face time out of the game after also being stood down in August following his Darwin fishing trip. After the Darwin incident, Symonds was told to undertake a counselling programme and he later conceded that alcohol had played a part in his poor attitude in 2008. He had reportedly been drinking at a pub before the confused radio interview in which he called Brendon McCullum a "lump of s...", the remark that got him reported by Cricket Australia for detrimental public comment. Cricket Australia will ask for Anderson's opinion on Symonds' frame of mind and Anderson said it was important to keep the radio interview in context. "If he gets through this and [Cricket Australia] back him, I think we are going to see two to three years of outstanding performances from a good cricketer and a good man," Anderson told the Sydney Morning Herald. "I think he is as ready as any other player in the team. If you dig deep enough we all have things to work through and this is his. We all have triggers that make us do things that in retrospect we would prefer not to have done. "Alcohol may be a part of it but it's a case of assessing the person you are and the person you would like to be. Unfortunately, this mishap has come up, there is a lot of context to it and I hope a little bit of common sense prevails." Symonds was this week preparing for a return to Queensland's Sheffield Shield side on Friday, following his recovery from knee surgery earlier this month. His manager Matt Fearon said Symonds was keen to attend Thursday's hearing before the retired judge, Gordon Lewis, in person if possible. "He's treating this very seriously because he's focused on getting back and playing his best cricket," Fearon told AAP.

Why dont they ask him to run 2 laps around MCG as punishment. 4 grand jeez, even Asif will be able to afford that. By the way things are going, Asif should move to Oz and play for them, CA will cover his ***** and fine him 5 grand and get a psychologist who will spout inane theories and everything will be fine with the world.

It is clearly the case of being desperate. Like PCB, CA also cannot afford to ban players anymore. They have been struck with injuries, have VERY FEW experienced test cricketers in their team, and have lost 2 out of the last 3 test series. Like Pak does with Shoaib/Asif etc., they are doing the same with Maaki. They need him too much to care about such trivialities as code of conduct/discipline etc.