Sehwag Mark II

I never really thought much of him as an ODI batsman - he could be very destructive, but his innings were always too short to make any real impact on the game and he could never put together a string of good scores. That was the story of his ODI career - he was just an average ODI batsman. The team stuck with him because everyone knew he could play and also because they didn't trust other openers. When he first started opening for India, Veeru was one of the best openers in ODI cricket. At the end of his first season as an opener, he was holding an average you normally associate with guys like Sachin Tendulkar. His batting was so good that Ganguly even chose to demote himself and Tendulkar down the order at times just so that Veeru could keep beating up on the new ball bowlers. With Gambhir's return, Veeru has finally found that first season form again. In fact, he has done even better. His numbers for the '08 calendar year are absolutely INSANE.

Player  	        Mat      Inns  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	BF  	SR  	100s 	50s
V Sehwag (India)  	18  	18  	893  	119  	49.61  	744  	120.02  1        8

Batting average touching 50 at an SR of 120 ?!!!!!!!?!? :yikes::yikes: These numbers are unreal. I'd struggle to do this on a computer game. Scoring at a run a ball is more or less the norm now, but Sehwag's batting is on another level. The consistency he has managed with such an attacking game is remarkable. 4th highest number of runs for the calendar year. Only McCullum had similar figures - 618 runs @ 47 with an SR of 110 but he had 2 not outs and a big 166 against Ireland. Sehwag didn't have any not outs, two cheap fifties against Hong Kong and Banglastan but he played lots of incredible knocks against Pakistan (i know they are crap, but still...), Sri Lanka and England. In fact, the series against England and the Asia Cup are the best series he has ever had since that Champions Trophy. And after that effortless 42 against SL, it looks like he is going to carry on where he left off. We've gotten used to seeing him play well in tests but it's great to see him bringing that form into ODIs, something he couldn't do for a long time. He has never played this well in ODIs before and I don't think any bowler would feel comfortable running at Sehwag in this kind of form.

Sehwag is the most talented batsman in the Indian team, but was always very inconsistent, atleast in ODIs Now that he has added consistency to his traits, he will be much more destructive I want to see Sehwag and Gambir open for India in all formats..enough with Sachin and his cautious approach, he can come in middle order

Sehwag is the most talented batsman in the Indian team, but was always very inconsistent, atleast in ODIs Now that he has added consistency to his traits, he will be much more destructive I want to see Sehwag and Gambir open for India in all formats..enough with Sachin and his cautious approach, he can come in middle order
I agree with that.. Sachin can be a good 1 down batsman.. Shewag and Gambhir opening willl be great.. they will cut loose n blast the bowlers with a carefree attitude with a thought that sachin is yet to come. not a bad idea to try it out.. since sachin is more looking to consolidate these days..
so i guess u are new out here mate :giggle:
I agree with that.. Sachin can be a good 1 down batsman.. Shewag and Gambhir opening willl be great.. they will cut loose n blast the bowlers with a carefree attitude with a thought that sachin is yet to come. not a bad idea to try it out.. since sachin is more looking to consolidate these days..
dont listen to wat Zubi says..his opinion abt Sachin has changed in the last 8 months or so..he is not a true SRT fan :P
so i guess u are new out here mate :giggle:
Yep I am new out here, but that doesn't mean I am a n00b. For me, India as a team and its performance is more important than any individual player. one should the composition of our team which can produce best results rather than individuals preferences Sachin is no more destructive in powerplays and will serve the team good if he comes in middle order and uses this wealth of experience and talent to keep the team going in middle overs Also the way Sehway and Gambhir run between wickets is just too good and if Sachin or any other player doesn't perform after a good amount of chances, they should be dropped, doesnt matter if its X Y or Z All the above IMO
This thread is meant for discussing Sehwag's great run of form with the bat in ODIs. Lets not derail this one by bringing 'God' Sachin here :winky:
lol Dan wat happened..why are u over emphasizing the words there..u are stating 2 words with the same meaning..God, Sachin comeon we all know it means one and the same :winky: :D

Those stats are incredible. Veeru has been a phenom, reminiscent of his 2002 ODI form.

I want to see Sehwag and Gambir open for India in all formats..enough with Sachin and his cautious approach, he can come in middle order
I don't disagree with you but would just like to point out that in the last 2 years, Tendulkar and GG have almost the same average and SR in ODIs.
Yep I am new out here, but that doesn't mean I am a n00b. For me, India as a team and its performance is more important than any individual player. one should the composition of our team which can produce best results rather than individuals preferences Sachin is no more destructive in powerplays and will serve the team good if he comes in middle order and uses this wealth of experience and talent to keep the team going in middle overs Also the way Sehway and Gambhir run between wickets is just too good and if Sachin or any other player doesn't perform after a good amount of chances, they should be dropped, doesnt matter if its X Y or Z All the above IMO
touche, bro:two_thumbs_up:

As long as SRT plays, I don't see why you'd want the greatest opener ever to bat lower down the order. That has been tried and tested and proven to be quite a stupid choice. Good on Veeru though, this guy has finally learned to control himself just a bit and his stats are just getting better and better.

Sehwag just needs to score 3 more runs than balls faced in the next game to get the SR to 100
i know that. a 1st ball 4 in the next match and his sr goes to 100. even a "slow"(by sehwag standards) innings of 100 off 97 balls would help his sr reach 100