The Nightmares during 02 NZ tour(Share your stories)

Cricketics

Since the NZ tour is coming.. how about let's share those horrific stories of that famous tour.. Afterall we all know thsi New Indian team would turning the tables this time around... Those who watched or was part of this tour would know how much pain it was to watch our Indian team collapse everyday. Specially during test matches. Acc IST, the game used to begin around 2:30 am and if by chance i was an hour or hour and half late, I would first of all used to curse myself for getting up a little late and then used to tune onto Star sports quickly only to find that India were bowled out for certain amount of runs. And if not that, then i would notice scorecard regularly displaying "India needs .... to avoid the follow on" At night used to plan that i would wake up early morning to watch Dravid and all batting, but used to find Kumble or Zaheer Khan batting during 2nd session of the game. Then we had this gobsmacking ODI.. in which NZ scores around 199 thanks to shane bond who adds some vital runs in the end. India starts of well with Sehwag scoring a fantastic century(perhapsthe only thing to smile about during that tour) and when sehwag gets out he leaves the team needing20 odd runs with 6 wickets remaining. then the dhamasan starts. Wickets after wickets. Andre Adams and all add continuous amoount of pressure.. everyone fails...Lords hero Kaif fails. We end up in a positionw here Nehra is batting and we are looking for a run to win the game. Finally Andre adams bowls a short one and Nehra pulls it down to some unique place to bring up a Wannabe a thriller victory for India. That tour was a real pain.... share your stories...

ticz, the end of that ODI is hilarious. I still have the hls of the last 10 overs on tape and on my comp. Hysterical stuff, just because Sidhu was on commentary and was the perfect man for such a farce. "Good was NOT the word for your performance, my dear friend!" "I see the world as a large fruitcake, it wouldn't be complete without a few nuts - and the Indians have gone nuts now!"

ticz, the end of that ODI is hilarious. I still have the hls of the last 10 overs on tape and on my comp. Hysterical stuff, just because Sidhu was on commentary and was the perfect man for such a farce. "Good was NOT the word for your performance, my dear friend!" "I see the world as a large fruitcake, it wouldn't be complete without a few nuts - and the Indians have gone nuts now!"
haha remember sidhu going bezerk in commentery box.. there was one famous punchline on ss das selection for first odi i remember.. jeez i forgot that.. it was damn funny.. and then there was this "Indian batting line up reminds me of a cycle stand of Patiala(Rajender Talkies).. One falls and the everything else falls together" man i wish sidhu could come back. he was also great during NDTV cricket controversies

Some stuff i remember; - Martin Crowe being an absolute pr1ck. Constantly talked crap about Ganguly. At one stage, these two had a little war of words, with Ganguly telling Crowe to STFU about his captaincy because Crowe himself had a win % of 12 compared to Dada's 40%. - Martin Crowe's crappy columns on Wisden.com. After IND were 90/8 in their first innings at Hamilton, he kicked up a big sh[it storm about why Indian cricketers are average, why they can't play away from home, blah blah blah. The next day, after India had done something nobody had seen before by taking a LEAD after bowling NZ out for 94, looking like they could win the test even after their innings finished on the same day, his new column began with something like, "First i would like to apologise to Indians for writing them off..." followed by lots of overly neutral, diplomatic rhetoric. - THAT Parthiv Patel catch. - Dravid's 76 in the first test. One of the top 5 innings of his career, IMO. - After India's win in that bizarre ODI, i remember seeing a newspaper with a picture of Nehra walking back to the pavilion after hitting the winning runs. The caption read, "Indian ALL ROUNDER Nehra hits winning runs". Made me laugh

Dont recall much and is whatever I remember from a foggy memory: Wasnt the NZ tour right before the 2003 WC and India had lost quite badly. The pitches were termed as sub-standard. The reasoning given for the pitches was that these were portable pitches. I think Sehwag had a good series, perhaps because he was quite attacking.

Some stuff i remember; - Martin Crowe being an absolute pr1ck. Constantly talked crap about Ganguly. At one stage, these two had a little war of words, with Ganguly telling Crowe to STFU about his captaincy because Crowe himself had a win % of 12 compared to Dada's 40%. - Martin Crowe's crappy columns on Wisden.com. After IND were 90/8 in their first innings at Hamilton, he kicked up a big sh[it storm about why Indian cricketers are average, why they can't play away from home, blah blah blah. The next day, after India had done something nobody had seen before by taking a LEAD after bowling NZ out for 94, looking like they could win the test even after their innings finished on the same day, his new column began with something like, "First i would like to apologise to Indians for writing them off..." followed by lots of overly neutral, diplomatic rhetoric. - THAT Parthiv Patel catch. - Dravid's 76 in the first test. One of the top 5 innings of his career, IMO. - After India's win in that bizarre ODI, i remember seeing a newspaper with a picture of Nehra walking back to the pavilion after hitting the winning runs. The caption read, "Indian ALL ROUNDER Nehra hits winning runs". Made me laugh
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Nehra must have preserved a copy of that news paper. :D That was a horrible tour, wasnt that? Hope he find better surface this time. I am sure India will come back victorious. I am happy that we start with the T20s, then the ODIs and then the tests. The first T20s will give our players the practice they need for the rest of the tour. By the time the tests start, they would be quite familiar with the conditions.

Ganguly said that if he had Srinath in his side, they would have won the Hamilton test and maybe even the series. I am inclined to agree. Yohannan or Srinath ? hmmm. And Sri wrecked them in the ODIs. The thing is, they weren't sporting wickets. They were damp and even guys like Bangar were getting movement. It's a shame India couldn't get revenge on them at home when they toured after the World Cup.

Ganguly said that if he had Srinath in his side, they would have won the Hamilton test and maybe even the series. I am inclined to agree. Yohannan or Srinath ? hmmm. And Sri wrecked them in the ODIs. The thing is, they weren't sporting wickets. They were damp and even guys like Bangar were getting movement. It's a shame India couldn't get revenge on them at home when they toured after the World Cup.
Dont worry, we will make up for that this time.:two_thumbs_up:
Dont recall much and is whatever I remember from a foggy memory: Wasnt the NZ tour right before the 2003 WC and India had lost quite badly. The pitches were termed as sub-standard. The reasoning given for the pitches was that these were portable pitches. I think Sehwag had a good series, perhaps because he was quite attacking.
The pitches were horrible .Yet no one in the ICC whined about it .Oh,that was a sporting wicket . Yet they made a hoopla about Kanpur pitch.

Pathetic stuff from NZ administrators then. We were given sub-standard pitches for all matches including ODIs (perhaps with the exception of second ODI at Napier). Whichever team happened to bowl first ended up winning in all matches including ODIs (barring second ODI). All countries at some point of time were guilty of producing sub-standard wickets for touring teams but usually it restricts to one test match and/or one ODI. But NZ prepared gardens in all pitches for visiting Indian team. Understandably Ganguly was so upset and complained to ICC but latter turned blind eye. This is what I remember from that tour :--D

Sehwag came good in only two ODIs. He scored two outstanding centuries. He didn't do well in test series.