Pacers' places up for grabs

umpire

Rajan is very correct.....Munaf is one of the most disappointing bowlers..he is one guy who has really come down the hill...he was a test bowler of zaheer's class and ishant's sharpness and pace during his first test match when he bowled against england and took a 5fer and i suppose 3 in 2nd innings...since then he has never taken even 5 wickets in a test match or even 3 wickets in a one day...biggest dissappointment.

Sorry, but this is an old and stale debate Rajan! Before questioning Munaf in SA, why would you not question the physio there who passed him fit despite carrying injuries or even when he was injured as you assume? Same in Lanka too. Dhoni said that Munaf had slipped the previous evening during the training session and practice. Is Dhoni lying as well? Is the physio, a different one from who we had at SA, is lying as well? If that is your definition, then why not apply it to Sachin too who declared himself fit before the SA series at home and couldn't stay in the field more than a session and scored a duck on a belter of a track and was ruled out fromthe remaining two matches? You have to understand that the player doesn'yt lie or hide his injuries. Most of the players have been used to playing through the niggles. But sometimes they fail to understand how much it would impact their game. In some games it doesn't impact as much while in some they completely come a cropper. So? Should a player rule himself out at the slightest niggle? If that'll happen, I'm sure not even one player will last through the series.
Chandan, if any one is a sportsman, he shud be honest about his injuries in a team game.if he declares himself fit , passes fitness test and then gives 50% on the field for the fear of aggravating injury on a very crucial match, then the guy has let his team down big time.in this case Munaf has done just that. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/rsavind/content/current/story/275533.html A clearly unfit Munaf Patel bowled just one over, the 48th of the innings, but the real disappointment was Kumble. that was not written by me, but by cricinfo. the pitch was a green top. VRV had bowled superbly with out much luck in the earlier tests, touched 140k regularly. just because Munaf donkey had claimed he had recovered, the Captain took his word and over ruled objection from his Team Manager and selected Munaf, in desperation to seal the series.Munaf betrayed Dravid;s trust and let the team down. he was sooooooooo pathetic that he bowled only 1 over in SA's 2 nd innings, 4th innings of the match on 5th day. no wonder we lost our best chance of a series win in SA and i hold Munaf responsible for that. instead of accusing physio and his grandmother, plz realise that if u r an athlete, the buck stops at you.not sure whether you understand what i mean- Munaf would have been extremely well aware that he has not recovered from his injury. he has no business to confirm his fitness and then spoil the team's chances.he is a liar, cheat. shud never be selected again.shud have been banned. but i am sure u will talk about technical issues that are not necessary and put the blame on others.sorry, u may never understand the pain i suffered that day. india played with 10 men.Munaf cheated. check the scorecard and commentary about his "performance", he may deserve an Oscar not a place in team.

Chandan, this was his first over in the first innings. ------- Munaf Patel into the attack now. 14.1 Patel to Amla, no run, Slow run-up to start off with. Banged it in short and Amla rolls his wirsts over it and drops it down confidently 14.2 Patel to Amla, no run, fuller ball this time, driven to cover by Amla, who's confidence level has considerably increased in the last 10 minutes 14.3 Patel to Amla, no run, full and outside off, left alone and watches the keeper collect it cleanly 14.4 Patel to Amla, no run, fulla and straight, driven back crisply, no chance of a run though. Amla trying to play as straight as possible. Good signs 14.5 Patel to Amla, no run, Munaf not into his stride yet. Ambling in and bowling with a slightly changed action (more round-arm than normal). Amla drives off the front foot 14.6 Patel to Amla, no run, driven back to the bowler ========= = 16.1 Patel to Amla, no run, back of a length, patted back down the ground. This is surely not Munaf's natural run-up. The action seems different too right thro the innings he was running in and bowling slow, 120k pies.

You have to understand that the player doesn'yt lie or hide his injuries. Most of the players have been used to playing through the niggles. But sometimes they fail to understand how much it would impact their game. In some games it doesn't impact as much while in some they completely come a cropper. So? Should a player rule himself out at the slightest niggle? If that'll happen, I'm sure not even one player will last through the series.
Slightest niggle? that is rubbish! the guy was 'coming back" from an injury. not a niggle.do u understand the difference? i am not sure.what Munaf had done is indefensible. he cost us an AWAY series win against SA.

The Indian cricket team is back from South Africa with arrows flying thick and fast at the players. Among the plethora of accusations, the two that rankles most are: Questioning the integrity of a player and the professional competency of a team support member. The attack on fast bowlerMunaf Patel was direct while the one aimed at physio John Gloster was veiled. But there was no mistaking the intent behind the statement that came from no less a person of authority than the honorary secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, Niranjan Shah. Coming from him, it’s a damning statement, an official public indictment. Niranjan’s forceful words are indicative of BCCI mood. I know Niranjan for a long, long time and he is a very mild-mannered person. He would not have dared to make such a bold statement unless he had the approval of the powers that be. He was only expressing what many concluded after seeing Munaf bowl in the third Test. It was apparent that a genuine fast bowler, capable of generating speeds anywhere between 140-145 kmph, was bowling at a pace close to Anil Kumble! India is probably the only country where fast bowlers arrive on the scene with speeds exceeding 140 kmph and then keep dropping pace to settle at around 125-130 kmph while most young fast bowlers in other country generate more pace as gain in experience and their body fills out in the right places. But it’s another matter and a topic in itself which can be taken up sometime in the future. Niranjan told the media that Munaf “should have been honest about his ankle injury”. In fact, he was emphatic and unambiguous when he added that both Munaf and Virender Sehwag should have been packed off home midway through the tour. To me that’s a veiled attack by the BCCI on the Indian tour management - captain Rahul Dravid, vice-captain VVS Laxman, coach Greg Chappell and selection committee chairman Dilip Vengsarkar - for its failure to take necessary action. The BCCI had to cop severe embarrassment when, at the eleventh hour, it had to ask Delhi teenager Ishant Sharma not to reinforce the team in South Africa. There is no clarity whose decision it was to stall Ishaant’s trip, but the general belief it was Vengsarkar’s decision. It seems scandalous that a player could go through an entire tour remaining unfit. And the BCCI is fully justified in questioning Gloster. The fact that the BCCI doctor in Mumbai, Dr Anant Joshi, has deemed Munaf be rested for at least two more weeks, does not do the Indian physio any good as he was asked by the BCCI thrice during the course of the tour for a detailed explanation on Munaf’s fitness. The players are representing the country and the countrymen have every right to know answers to the many pertinent questions that crop up as a result of Dr Joshi’s declaration. What was the basis in keeping Munaf on the sidelines for so long? Why was he played in the third Test when he is not even fit now? Who took the decision to keep him back and who were the people responsible in playing him? A fitter fast bowler, instead of the passenger in Munaf, or Harbhajan Singh could have helped India clinch the third Test and with it a historic series. It was a monumental blunder that needs to be probed. Gloster was present when the fitness test on Munaf was conducted by Dr Joshi on the player’s return back home with the team. There has been no comment from Gloster, but the truth has to come out as the incident questions his professional competence if not his credibility ------------------ I rest my case about the Liar, cheat and useless hog Munaf. u can search and read Niranjan shah's comments and the issue.

Chandan, if any one is a sportsman, he shud be honest about his injuries in a team game.if he declares himself fit , passes fitness test and then gives 50% on the field for the fear of aggravating injury on a very crucial match, then the guy has let his team down big time.in this case Munaf has done just that. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/rsavind/content/current/story/275533.html A clearly unfit Munaf Patel bowled just one over, the 48th of the innings, but the real disappointment was Kumble. that was not written by me, but by cricinfo. the pitch was a green top. VRV had bowled superbly with out much luck in the earlier tests, touched 140k regularly. just because Munaf donkey had claimed he had recovered, the Captain took his word and over ruled objection from his Team Manager and selected Munaf, in desperation to seal the series.Munaf betrayed Dravid;s trust and let the team down. he was sooooooooo pathetic that he bowled only 1 over in SA's 2 nd innings, 4th innings of the match on 5th day. no wonder we lost our best chance of a series win in SA and i hold Munaf responsible for that. instead of accusing physio and his grandmother, plz realise that if u r an athlete, the buck stops at you.not sure whether you understand what i mean- Munaf would have been extremely well aware that he has not recovered from his injury. he has no business to confirm his fitness and then spoil the team's chances.he is a liar, cheat. shud never be selected again.shud have been banned. but i am sure u will talk about technical issues that are not necessary and put the blame on others.sorry, u may never understand the pain i suffered that day. india played with 10 men.Munaf cheated. check the scorecard and commentary about his "performance", he may deserve an Oscar not a place in team.
I do not need to check the scorecards Rajan. I had watched every match and its every over live. Even then I am not willing to blame Munaf. I will clearly question the physio who passed Munaf fit when he was unfit. What was he there for? How could he give a wrong fitness report? And if Munaf is cheat or liar then so is Sachin and perhaps many others. Why not throw all of them out? It must be telling you something that the previous physio is not with the team but Munaf and Sachin are.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/unfit-munaf-should-not-have-been-in-final-xi-vengsarkar/20402/ Unfit Munaf should not have been in final XI: Vengsarkar Ajay S Shankar Posted: Jan 08, 2007 at 0217 hrs IST Cape Town, January 7: He is deeply disappointed at the way India handed over the Test series to South Africa, he can’t get over the batting crawl that turned the final game, but chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar today raised the alarm on a far more serious issue affecting Indian cricket: unfit players making it to the final XI, especially Munaf Patel. “I am not very happy with his fitness, to be honest. I want 100% fit players in the team. Even if he has a slight niggle, he should inform the coach, the captain or the selection committee. If players are unfit, they are letting the Indian team down. And Munaf did just that, he was not 100% fit,” Vengsarkar told The Indian Express. India’s bowling spearhead last year, the village to West Indies hero, Munaf missed three ODIs here and the first two Tests due to a “bruised ankle” during the second one-dayer in Durban on November 22, and ended up bowling just one over yesterday during South Africa’s successful run chase to wrap the series here 2-1. “He was saying he was 100% fit, John Gloster (the physio) was saying he was 100% fit. But you could see with the naked eye that he wasn’t. You just can’t lie like that, he was virtually limping. You could see that he was not putting 100% on his follow-through. These things shouldn’t be allowed at all,” said Vengsarkar.(do u want the font size to be increased) Munaf is an important member of the team, he is a top class bowler. But we could have sent him back (soon after he got injured). However, we were told he will be fit in time for the second Test match. We could not pick him in Durban because VRV Singh bowled well in the first Test match, which we won. So we said, let him be 200% fit for the last Test match. A strong message should be sent out now, that players shouldn’t hide their fitness levels,” added the former Indian captain. ...........................
I do not need to check the scorecards Rajan. I had watched every match and its every over live. Even then I am not willing to blame Munaf. I will clearly question the physio who passed Munaf fit when he was unfit. What was he there for? How could he give a wrong fitness report? And if Munaf is cheat or liar then so is Sachin and perhaps many others. Why not throw all of them out? It must be telling you something that the previous physio is not with the team but Munaf and Sachin are.
i will say this one last time-the physio does not play on the field, the Player does.the player does not represent his father in law's team, he is representing his country. by playing with out being fit enough to bowl, he is letting down the team, fans and his nation. for what?why? if you absolve him from his crime( not a mistake, this is an intentional crime),if u r still defending Munaf and holding the physio responsible, then i have no intention of discussing with you on this further, because i dont wish to disrespect you.
BS!!..... only u know exactly how much pain u have and the impact of injury.. physio will not.. physio can only offer treatment if u tell him ur injury.. he wont know tht u have fractured ur finger unless u tell him so stop molllycuddlyin munaf... this culprit shud have known whether he can bowl with 100% or not.. btw sachin never played a game knowing tht he cant give 100%.. so pls stop bringin in sachin here..
i will say this one last time-the physio does not play on the field, the Player does.the player does not represent his father in law's team, he is representing his country. by playing with out being fit enough to bowl, he is letting down the team, fans and his nation. for what?why? if you absolve him from his crime( not a mistake, this is an intentional crime),if u r still defending Munaf and holding the physio responsible, then i have no intention of discussing with you on this further, because i dont wish to disrespect you.
That is okay. Sachin too had declared himself fit before the home series against SA despite physio saying that he was not 100% fit. I didn't read our former chaiman of selectors sending a strong message to Sachin though. As I said, I'll always give the benefit of the doubt to the player because player might think of injury as just a mere niggle when it turns into something bigger which rules the player out. If physio cannot detect this, how will the player do so? But it doesn't make a player liar or cheat or one who lets the team down! This is my opinion.
That is okay. Sachin too had declared himself fit before the home series against SA despite physio saying that he was not 100% fit. I didn't read our former chaiman of selectors sending a strong message to Sachin though. As I said, I'll always give the benefit of the doubt to the player because player might think of injury as just a mere niggle when it turns into something bigger which rules the player out. If physio cannot detect this, how will the player do so? But it doesn't make a player liar or cheat or one who lets the team down! This is my opinion.
I post this again from the then Chairman of selectors Vengsarkar's interview: “He was saying he was 100% fit, John Gloster (the physio) was saying he was 100% fit. But you could see with the naked eye that he wasn’t. You just can’t lie like that, he was virtually limping.You could see that he was not putting 100% on his follow-through. These things shouldn’t be allowed at all,” said Vengsarkar.(do u want the font size to be increased) ========================= dont come out of that paradise u r living in Chandan! EDIT: Don't use giant fonts.

EDIT: Don't use giant fonts. which ever moderator who edited my post with -giant fonts- if u dont want members to post in giant fonts, then why retain the option? remove that from the drop down menu.fix a default font size. the very reason i posted it in giant size was because Chandan was not able to comprehend my points when i posted above in normal font size. “He was saying he was 100% fit, John Gloster (the physio) was saying he was 100% fit. But you could see with the naked eye that he wasn’t. You just can’t lie like that, he was virtually limping.You could see that he was not putting 100% on his follow-through. she was claiming that Munaf was not to be blamed for playing despite not being fully fit. he cost us a test match and an away series win in SA. plz do not use the privileges accorded to moderators, if u differ from the opinions of other members.

I post this again from the then Chairman of selectors Vengsarkar's interview: “He was saying he was 100% fit, John Gloster (the physio) was saying he was 100% fit. But you could see with the naked eye that he wasn’t. You just can’t lie like that, he was virtually limping.You could see that he was not putting 100% on his follow-through. These things shouldn’t be allowed at all,†said Vengsarkar.(do u want the font size to be increased) ========================= dont come out of that paradise u r living in Chandan! EDIT: Don't use giant fonts.
Rajan, I read all that. Vengsarkar used those words that "you cannot lie like that". But Vengsarkar was not there to know. Also note that physio also said that he was 100% fit. Then only captain included him. Many players think that the injury is mere niggle but during playing they discover it to be much bigger. Same thing has happened with Sachin, Kumble in his final two-three tests and perhaps many more. That does not make a player a cheat or a liar or anti-team. Even you can have that common-sense that hiding an injury will not yield a player anything. In the field there is no hiding and an injured player will only be hurting himself more if he exerts himself more. Every sports person knows that. Even then most of them play through the niggles knowing that it won't hamper their game much. This can be an error of judgement too. Wonder why would you think I'm living in a paradise if I think that way and give the player the benefit of doubt. Also why will you not treat every player with the same parameter if YOU think that way!!
Rajan, I read all that. Vengsarkar used those words that "you cannot lie like that". But Vengsarkar was not there to know. Also note that physio also said that he was 100% fit. Then only captain included him. Many players think that the injury is mere niggle but during playing they discover it to be much bigger. Same thing has happened with Sachin, Kumble in his final two-three tests and perhaps many more. Plz note that India was not on the field for almost 2 days chasing the leather for Munaf to get injured while fielding. India batted first. as i had pointed out from cricinfo commentary to refresh your memory, right from first ball, he was running in gingerly and very slowly. if u have seen the match live, as u claim, he was jogging in to bowl. not running in like a fast bowler.when does that happen? when the bowler knows he is carrying an injury and he would aggravate it if he runs fast.if so, he shud not have played.by the 3rd over, he was LIMPING.that is nothing but cheating.if u dont want to accept that and try to say' two wrongs make a right", then u r too wrong, not right! That does not make a player a cheat or a liar or anti-team. what a logic! if some body intentionally declares he is fit and lets his team down on the field being unfit, then he is a liar. by depriving the opportunity for VRV, he has cheated. Zak and Sreesanth bowled their hearts out right thro the series, when they tired out in the last innings of the last test, the 3rd seamer was desperately needed to fill in and make the difference. but Munaf was able to bowl just 1 over and he was LIMPING.it was visible to Naked eye . u dont need a scanner. he was not carrying a small niggle, he was coming back from the same ankle injury. if he was not fully fit, he shud be sitting in dressing room or be back in india, giving an opportunity to Ishant sharma much earlier! he was ANTI TEAM. This can be an error of judgement too. Wonder why would you think I'm living in a paradise if I think that way and give the player the benefit of doubt. Also why will you not treat every player with the same parameter if YOU think that way!!
Error of judgment?it is a crime to cheat your team and let down ur country.i apply same logic and gave benefit of doubt to Sachin in Chennai test against SA because he was running to the boundary chasing the balls for 5 sessions and might have hurt himself. that he did not make a hurried return in the lucrative IPL despite great pressure and lure, certifies the person's character. But Munaf?liar and cheat.
Your choice!! I'm afraid that BCCI selectors align with my thoughts rather than yours!
does that make you happy? then i am happy for you. by the way, v can lease the forum to BCCI and stop making posts, if u think BCCI makes lot of sense!no debates and no arguments. BCCI and Chandan are correct!:--D So, y shud u bother when Balaji gets selected? u shud be happy that the selectors are aligning to some line of thought! Munaf has attitudinal issues.TA shekar said that. Sandip Patel confirmed it.now Prasad will say that if Munaf does this 'nakra' again.Liar & cheat rolled in to one!
does that make you happy? then i am happy for you. by the way, v can lease the forum to BCCI and stop making posts, if u think BCCI makes lot of sense!no debates and no arguments. BCCI and Chandan are correct!:--D So, y shud u bother when Balaji gets selected? u shud be happy that the selectors are aligning to some line of thought! Munaf has attitudinal issues.TA shekar said that. Sandip Patel confirmed it.now Prasad will say that if Munaf does this 'nakra' again.Liar & cheat rolled in to one!
:--D These days the selectors have certainly agreed with me, though I don't even pay attention to what the BCCI idiots say. And I will never bother for Balaji to be selected. In fact I'll be delighted if he is able to go back to previos form which he had in 04. And I'm sure he'll slowly get there. Swing and movement is back and the pace will come back as he feels more and more assured that the injury won't recur! Munaf has attitude problems, agreed. But if you'll read his background if won't take much time for you to figure out why. I think these kind of bowlers need proper guidance and nurturing. And I think BCCI is doing an okay job there---not fully satisfactory but the positive results mask a lot of deficiencies.

Pacers' places up for grabs India in New Zealand 2008-09 : selection preview More... Pacers' places up for grabs Sidharth Monga February 12, 2009 The selectors meet in Chennai on Friday to pick the squads for the New Zealand tour and, given fitness concerns and the conditions on tour, the bulk of their time should go in picking the pace department for the Tests. Two of the pace-bowling contenders were not fit when India last played international cricket - RP Singh didn't bowl in the second innings of the Ranji Trophy final last month because of a shoulder injury, and Munaf Patel had to leave the Sri Lanka tour midway because of a groin injury - which makes it surprising that the Test squad is being picked a month before that leg of the series. The other injury concern, Harbhajan Singh, has made himself available and should walk into all three teams, but most questions surround the pace department. The first question is, four or five? They took four fast bowlers to England in 2007, and five to Australia in 2007-08 (VRV Singh was added after Zaheer Khan's injury, making it six). Only two are automatic selections as of now - Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma. The pool for the other places is Munaf, RP, Sreesanth and L Balaji. Munaf, if fit, should be the automatic choice for the third slot, but there is also a school of thought that an out-and-out swing bowler might be given preference. Sreesanth has proved his fitness through a Ranji Trophy match (seven wickets against Jharkhand), and two in the Duleep Trophy (eight wickets at 37.75). Balaji has made an inspirational comeback to playing cricket in the first place - after his stress fracture and the resultant surgery. His Ranji form took him to Sri Lanka as Munaf's replacement, but in the one game he played there it seemed he was not yet at his best. Test middle order The early Test selection is also surprising because there is every possibility that a batsman might push for his selection through his performances in the one-dayers in New Zealand. A Rohit Sharma or a Suresh Raina, acclimatised to the conditions and in good form, would be a good pick for Tests too. Yuvraj Singh has taken Sourav Ganguly's place in the XI, but the squad will require at least one middle-order back-up if not two. Rohit and S Badrinath will compete for that place, and Badri has done himself no harm by scoring 372 runs in three Duleep Trophy matches. Rohit too scored two centuries in the Ranji Trophy final, and this will be difficult elimination to make if required. In the fight of the fringes, the selectors will also have to decide whether India need a back-up opener. The competitors for that slot be M Vijay, who was India's third-choice opener last checked, and Wasim Jaffer, who had a bumper first-class season (1549 runs at 67.34, while captaining Mumbai and West Zone to titles). Do India need a back-up wicketkeeper? Not really, since Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the captain, but what if he picks a niggle on the eve of a Test? Dinesh Karthik, in good batting form in domestic competitions, and Parthiv Patel will definitely be discussed. An outsider chance here will be Bengal wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha, who has generally impressed the selectors with his glovework; the selectors can sometimes look ahead after repeated let-downs from same old hands. Test certainties Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt/wk), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma. Test probables M Vijay (reserve opener), Dinesh Karthik/Parthiv Patel/Wriddhiman Saha (reserve wicketkeepers), Rohit Sharma, S Badrinath (reserve middle-order batsmen), Amit Mishra (reserve spinner), Munaf Patel, Sreesanth, RP Singh, and L Balaji (back-up pace bowlers). The team for the ODIs should be easier to pick. The batting selects itself, and it's the bowling that could need some tinkering with. With Harbhajan back, and with Yusuf Pathan's part-time offspin, Pragyan Ojha and Ravindra Jadeja could be two spinners too many. The main reason is the conditions, which could favour a swing-bowling allrounder, pointing to Irfan Pathan. It won't be a surprise if India play with four medium-pacers (including Irfan) and a spinner in their XIs. So if Munaf is fit he could take the place of a spinner. A reserve wicketkeeper could be picked too, and if it happens Karthik should be the best choice because of his batting form (1026 runs at 64.12 in the current first-class season) ODI certainties Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt/wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Praveen Kumar, Irfan Pathan. ODI probables Munaf Patel, L Balaji, Sreesanth, RP Singh (one or two back-up pacers), Dinesh Karthik/Parthiv Patel/Wriddhiman Saha (reserve wicketkeepers), Pragyan Ojha, Ravindra Jadeja (left-arm spinner). Sachin Tendulkar has made himself unavailable for the two Twenty20 internationals, and it could be a good opportunity to give the likes of Jadeja an experience of New Zealand conditions even if he is not playing the ODIs. But the selectors could go for the safer route of not picking a different squad for the Twenty20s.