Reliving the memories of: India vs England 1999 group game

Cricketics

I was thinking of starting this series where anyone can create a thread about an old Indian odi or test match victory and in that thread people can relive those memories and share their anecdotes and stories about the very game So here is thread no. 1 Game - India vs England, Group game 1999 world cup ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This game was literally one of the most exciting game of the 1999 world cup. India and England both looking for victory. Winner of this game would have qualified for the super six stage and the loser would have been knocked out of the tournament. Continuous amount of British rain was trying it's best to interrupt the game. The rain however was successful in taking the game to the next day which was a reserve day. England were 73-3 and India had set them a target of 233 Day 2 starts and even though England had lost 3 big wickets, they still had lot of chance to win the game and knock India out of the tournament. But wickets fell and that decision of Graham Thorpe was enough for England to lose hope that they would ever qualify for super six stage. I remember Boycott going bezerk saying "World thinks Indians and pakistanis are not good with each other, but look that pakistani umpire is the one who helped INdia win today by giving that stupid decision.":hysterical:

I remember Javed Akhtar giving Thorpe out to Srinath...awful decision!!! :O I never watched it properly because I didn't have satellite but India played and missed a lot and managed to get a good total for the conditions and tore through England to win a super 6 place. Both sides were expected to go through, but Zimbabwe's win v SA changed things somewhat...

If my memory serves right, this is the first match involving India which continued the next day from where it was left off..yeah it was a terrible decision by Javed Akhtar whch tilted the match well and truly in our favor.Mind you an year back same Javed Akthar gave couple of horrendous decions against SRT in Sharjah. He some what made up for that in a crucial encounter of World Cup :haha::haha:

Dada was unfortunate to get run out after a Dravid straight drive was deflected by the bowler onto the stumps. Mohanty getting two in two was awesome. Dada bowling Nasser just after Nasser complained about the drizzle was hilarious. And the crowd...wow! It was almost as if England were the away team. Mullally was supposed to be the big threat but we played him well.

I remember Javed Akhtar giving Thorpe out to Srinath...awful decision!!! :O I never watched it properly because I didn't have satellite but India played and missed a lot and managed to get a good total for the conditions and tore through England to win a super 6 place. Both sides were expected to go through, but Zimbabwe's win v SA changed things somewhat...
..and geoff boycott said after the game " to the indians, remember this was a pakistani umpire" It was a very tense game for sure
Winner of this game would have qualified for the super six stage and the loser would have been knocked out of the tournament.
If I remember right, the Pakistan-BD game did influence England's chances of entering the next level. England still had a fair chance of making it to the next level if Pakistan had not lost that match to BD. The two matches were within hours of each other. While England was losing to India, Pakistan was deciding England's fate against Bangladesh. A lot of English fans were of the opinion that Pakistan intentionally lost the match. The captain even expressed his disappointment over it. I can never forget Thorpe's face after Akhtar gave that out. The pain on his face was so clear. Poor guy. But by the time he got out, India was already well ahead.
If I remember right, the Pakistan-BD game did influence England's chances of entering the next level. England still had a fair chance of making it to the next level if Pakistan had not lost that match to BD. The two matches were within hours of each other. While England was losing to India, Pakistan was deciding England's fate against Bangladesh. A lot of English fans were of the opinion that Pakistan intentionally lost the match. The captain even expressed his disappointment over it. I can never forget Thorpe's face after Akhtar gave that out. The pain on his face was so clear. Poor guy. But by the time he got out, India was already well ahead.
Nope, you're incorrect. England, India, SA, Zim were group A- Pakistan, Aus, NZ, WI were group B. It was Zimbabwe's shock defeat of the strong SA that made India v England a knock-out as opposed to a battle that was expected where both would reach super 6 and the winner of this would carry points through to super 6.
Nope, you're incorrect. England, India, SA, Zim were group A- Pakistan, Aus, NZ, WI were group B. It was Zimbabwe's shock defeat of the strong SA that made India v England a knock-out as opposed to a battle that was expected where both would reach super 6 and the winner of this would carry points through to super 6.
Thanks for the correction. I had a vague recollection of an unexpected result having a bearing on this game. So Zimbabwe it was and not BD.
Thanks for the correction. I had a vague recollection of an unexpected result having a bearing on this game. So Zimbabwe it was and not BD.
we were 2-0 down and had 3 games remaining as each group had 6 teams so we had to play 5 games. so after losing first 2 to south africa and zimbabwe, we had to win all 3. The Indian team played remarkably well, and the each game they won, they not only won, the made sure whoever is losing to us gets knocked out First it was Kenya. when they lost to us, they were knocked out then it was do or die game against lanka. whoever would have won, they would have stayed alive in the tourney. India defeated lanka and lanka got knocked out then it was England.. they lost and were knocked out. so basically it was a great 3 wins I still remember the emotion with which Tendulkar raised his bat after reaching century against Kenya. anyone remember that? he missed the zimbabwe game cauz he had to come back to India cauz his dad had died. and he came back with a blistering century against Kenya.

It was a great game to watch...I remember WI vs Australia game going on the same day ie on the reserve day of this match. I could see more English supporters watching that match and barely a few turning up for this game. Also how can one forget David Lloyd's(coach then) post-match analysis at the end of the game, he gave glimpses of what a fine commentator he wud later become. Off the topic, Azhar made two of gravest mistakes as an Indian captain, winning the toss and opting to bowl first in the SF against SL in WC'96 and in the first game of Super 6 against Australia in '99.

He did come in at #4 in few matches' date=' remember Ramesh and Gangs opening the batting, even after Sachin returned...[/quote'] Yeah, but that was after he went back home following the death of his father. Ramesh got a fifty against Zimbabwe so they kept him up there but Tendulkar was opening in the Super Sixes