Australia in SA, 2009 : Build up

Feed

Mark Boucher hasn't recovered fully from his injury and if he fails to recover in time, then AB devilliers will keep and Prince will force his way back to the team. It is going to be mighty interesting. I just can't wait for the series to begin!
If DeVilliers keeps they are surely going to recall Prince in place of Boucher.
Why did they have to announce a 12 man squad? If Prince can't replace Duminy' date=' he can still replace Mckenzie, and be the opener. He will anyway have the advantage of being a lefty.[/quote'] That's the sensible thing to do - most home teams announce only a 12 man squad so other players can keep playing in domestics. BCCI announces a 15 man squad for a home test which is ridiculous.
That's the sensible thing to do - most home teams announce only a 12 man squad so other players can keep playing in domestics. BCCI announces a 15 man squad for a home test which is ridiculous.
That's all well and good, but these guys have announced the squad for the first 2 tests. Having no batting substitute is ridiculous. That said I want SA to hammer the Aussies which probably won't happen this time around.
That's all well and good' date=' but these guys have announced the squad for the first 2 tests. Having no batting substitute is ridiculous. That said I want SA to hammer the Aussies which probably won't happen this time around.[/quote'] They can always call up a replacement for a home series at a very short notice - there is no need to keep the players sitting on their *****es while the domestic season is going on.
They can always call up a replacement for a home series at a very short notice - there is no need to keep the players sitting on their *****es while the domestic season is going on.
Let's hope so. I'd love to see Prince open or come 1-down in one of the tests.
Let's hope so. I'd love to see Prince open or come 1-down in one of the tests.
No. Prince or any other MO batsman won't open for SA. And this was the explanation given to announce the 12 man team so early:
South Africa's cricket selectors showed great initiative on Wednesday when they named a 12-man squad for the first test against Australia over two weeks before the start of the match and in so doing cooling an impending media frenzy over whether JP Duminy or Ashwell Prince would be selected in the number six spot. Duminy, of course, is now a superstar of world cricket after his top-class performances in Australia and a riot probably would have broken out if the elegant left-hander had suddenly been dropped. But Prince, the incumbent vice-captain, played a number of outstanding innings himself last year before a cracked thumb handed Duminy his chance in a telling twist of fate. Prince scored 162 not out in his last test innings as he rescued South Africa from a threatening position against Bangladesh in Centurion at the end of November and scored 900 runs in all at an average of 64.28 in 2008. "There has been a lot of speculation about the whole JP/Ashwell situation and we felt the players, who have done so well for us, needed a stable environment so we decided to name the team early. It will also give these guys confidence," convenor of selectors Mike Procter said on Wednesday. Procter told SuperCricket that the selectors had in-depth consultations with coach Mickey Arthur and captain Graeme Smith and, although Prince has every reason to bemoan his ill-fortune, he certainly can't be angry at his treatment, given that he has just returned to action and that Duminy and the rest of the batting order have performed above expectations. "Ashwell is seriously unlucky, he scored over 160 in his last test when we were in trouble and he also produced some wonderful innings in England," Procter said. "But we looked at all the options, gave it a lot of thought and made our decision after speaking with Mickey and Graeme. We are in the privileged position of having seven world-class batsmen for six positions." There has been speculation that Neil McKenzie should be dropped to make way for Prince, with Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers or even Prince himself moving up the order to open with Smith. But Procter dismissed the idea as being bad for the team dynamic as a whole. "The batsmen have produced a helluva good showing, they practically all scored over a thousand runs in 2008, so we don't want to disrupt them from three down. "We know Neil did not have a good tour of Australia, but he was thrown in at the deep end to open at the start of last year and he scored more than a thousand runs. It would also be very harsh to ask someone else to come from down the order and open the batting," Procter said. Left-arm paceman Lonwabo Tsotsobe has been added to the team that played the last test in Sydney but is unlikely to be called into service at the Wanderers from February 26 to March 2. Procter said wicketkeeper Mark Boucher was expected to be fit after breaking his toe in Australia, but if he is not, a call on whether AB de Villiers would take the gloves would be made later. "The reports that have reached us about Mark are positive, but I guess there is always some doubt. If he can't play, then there is a distinct possibility that AB will keep wicket and Ashwell will come in to the side," Procter said. But with the team now free of all the Prince/Duminy speculation, they can now focus on the important task of getting their minds ready for the expected backlash of the Aussies, with South Africa going into the series in the unaccustomed position of obvious favourites. Squad: Graeme Smith, Neil McKenzie, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Mark Boucher, Paul Harris, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
It was done to stop the media speculation and make the player in question secure and hence focussed on the coming series and task that he has to face rather than wondering whether he'll be chosen in the XI or not. Quite a wise step IMO. I hope BCCI selectors also grow such sense.

I think this series will decide on Australia's ability to play with the current line up. The preassure as much as it would be on Punter, South Africa woudl hae some hard time batling against this Australia side. I think the Aussies will come back strong and won't be surprised if they win the series again in south africa. Michael Clarke or Michael Hussey to be man of the series.. you heard it hear first

Prince bitter over being dropped from Proteas Test side South Africa's vice-captain Ashwell Prince is disappointed after being left out of the Test side for the return series against Australia starting in Johannesburg Feb 26. More... Prince bitter over being dropped from Proteas Test side Indo Asian News Service, February 12,2009 Sydney, Feb 12 (IANS) South Africa's vice-captain Ashwell Prince is disappointed after being left out of the Test side for the return series against Australia starting in Johannesburg Feb 26. Middle-order batsman Prince made a strong case for selection with 900 Test runs at an average of 64.28 in 2008. However, Prince missed South Africa's historic 2-1 triumph in Australia because of a broken thumb. Regular 12th man J.P. Duminy grabbed his chance at No.6, making his debut in the first Test in Perth in December and scoring 246 at 61.50 in the series. The Proteas have named a 12-man squad including Duminy for the first two Tests of the three-match series as cricket's top two teams battle for world supremacy. South Africa's chairman of selectors Mike Procter said the Proteas were fortunate to have 'seven world-class batsmen competing for six positions'. 'Ashwell is understandably bitterly disappointed but he appreciates that he has not had the opportunity to play much cricket since his injury,' Procter was quoted as saying in Daily Telegraph. Skipper Graeme Smith, who batted in last month's Sydney Test despite an elbow injury and a fractured hand, will lead the side after recovering from his injuries. Smith skipped the one-day series in Australia to have blood injections into his elbow wound and to allow time for his hand to heal following a savage blow from paceman Mitchell Johnson. The aggressive left-hander topped South Africa's averages with 326 runs at 65.20 in the Test series in Australia. Smith's fellow opener Neil McKenzie, who averaged 24.20, has been retained despite a push to get Prince back into a reshuffled lineup. 'Ashwell is seriously unlucky,' Procter said. 'He scored over 160 in his last Test when we were in trouble (against Bangladesh) and he also did fantastic work in England.' 'We did discuss that (recalling Prince for Neil McKenzie) but we decided that it would be very harsh to call someone else into service to open the batting. We did not want to disrupt the batting order from three down because they have put in a hell of a good showing.' 'We know Neil did not have a good tour of Australia, but he himself was thrown into the deep end last year to open the batting and he was one of the batsmen to score over a thousand runs in 2008,' Procter added. The second Test starts in Durban March 6 and the third Test in Cape Town March 19.

South African captain Smith nervous about his comeback South African captain Graeme Smith admitted that he is a little nervous about making his return after a surgery ahead of the all-important home series against Australia. More... South African captain Smith nervous about his comeback Indo Asian News Service, February 12,2009 Johannesburg, Feb 12 (IANS) South African captain Graeme Smith admitted that he is a little nervous about making his return after a surgery ahead of the all-important home series against Australia. Smith, who is also Cape Cobras captain, will return to action in Friday night's Pro20 first-leg semi-final against the Dolphins at Newlands. Smith has not played since his emotional, courageous innings at the Sydney Cricket Ground in the third Test against Australia where he batted after peeling off the cast of his injured hand. Smith has recovered '100 percent' from the hand injury and 'hasn't felt pain in days', but is still receiving treatment for his long-term tennis elbow injury. 'I am a little bit nervous about Friday night,' Smith said. 'It's never easy coming into a team and captaining and also not being able to play the way you want. But I'll draw on my experience of how I prepared for big occasions in the past when I was successful, and hopefully I can take that into the game,' Smith was quoted as saying in the Cape Times. He is feeling a bit tentative about playing in front of what is expected to be a capacity Newlands crowd. 'It's always been wonderful playing at Newlands. The stadium is home to me and the people have always treated me well here. I am looking forward to making my return at my home ground.' He, therefore, took a cautious approach to his first net session as the Cobras continued their preparations at Newlands. 'I did feel a little bit rusty, I guess,' he said. 'It was about getting confidence and movements back. As the day's gone on, I've felt more and more happy.' 'The knuckle injury has healed nicely and feels pretty much 100 percent. Obviously taking another blow there would be rather sore! And I've just had a period getting over the bruising from a second (blood) injection in my elbow,' Smith said. 'It's just about hoping it holds now; taking it as it comes, as I have. If I need to go for surgery further down the line, then so be it.' he added.

Ponting backs quicks Fast bowling trio Doug Bollinger, Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle can emerge from Australia's injury crisis to make a Glenn McGrath-like impact on the tour to South Africa, according to skipper Ricky Ponting. More... Ponting backs inexperienced trio 16/02/2009 3:24 PM Adam Lucius Fast bowling trio Doug Bollinger, Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle can emerge from Australia's injury crisis to make a Glenn McGrath-like impact on the tour to South Africa, according to skipper Ricky Ponting. The Australians flew out of Sydney on Monday morning minus injured frontline paceman Stuart Clark and Brett Lee, leaving a massive dent in both depth and experience for the demanding three-Test tour. Siddle has played just four Tests, Bollinger has one cap to his name and Hilfenhaus is yet to debut, but Ponting has challenged the three to step up and emulate the deeds of a young McGrath 14 years ago. "If you look back to a tour like the West Indies in 1995, that's where Glenn McGrath really stood up and made a name for himself when Craig McDermott and a few of the guys went down injured," the captain pointed out. "We've got a great opportunity for a Siddle or Hilfenhaus or a Bollinger to really make a name for them self and forge their own identity at international level." Answering claims Australia's inexperienced attack will struggle to bowl South Africa out twice, Ponting responded: "They are good enough to take 20 wickets for us to win in any conditions around the world." "Conditions in South Africa generally favour seam bowlers a bit more than any other parts of the world." "I'm looking forward to those guys continuing their development and learning curve and be the guys who are going to stand up and get the job done when we need it." But Ponting admits he will be leaning heavily on Mitchell Johnson to lead one of the rawest attacks ever sent on tour. Johnson has only played 18 Tests but has emerged as a genuine match winner in a short time. "Mitchell's been terrific. He was the third or fourth highest wicket-taker in Test cricket last year and he keeps getting better all the time," Ponting said. "His batting's not bad either – he's turning into a very good cricketer for Australia." Australia will play a warm-up match against South Africa A in Potchefstroom from Friday. The Test series begins in Johannesburg on February 26.

Proteas under pressure: Ponting AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting claims South Africa could be under most pressure with Test cricket's number one ranking at stake in their heavyweight re-match over the next six weeks. More... Ricky Ponting claims South Africa are under pressure to claim No. 1 ranking February 16, 2009 AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting claims South Africa could be under most pressure with Test cricket's number one ranking at stake in their heavyweight re-match over the next six weeks. Ponting and his squad headed to South Africa on Monday facing a daunting task to reverse their recent 2-1 home series defeat by the Proteas and retain their long-held top ranking in the three-Test series. He was quick to weigh into the psychological battle started by Proteas skipper Graeme Smith who wrote at the weekend that the rebuilding Australians were a "touring team under pressure'' after recent losses and team changes. Smith saw an opportunity "to open a few cracks'' if his team played well in the first Test which starts in Johannesburg on February 26. But Ponting hinted the lure of the No.1 ranking could prove South Africa's downfall. "They have probably been striving for a long time to be the number one or recognised as being the number one Test team in the world,'' said Ponting at Sydney airport. "Maybe that will weigh on their minds more than on ours.'' Ponting emphasised the importance of trying to get on top of the Proteas from the opening hour of the series, which also includes Tests in Durban and Cape Town. "With them being favourites and with a lot of expectation from their people and the crowds, then who knows, things could turn against them pretty quickly,'' Ponting said. The veteran batsman felt a series win over South Africa would rank alongside the 5-0 Ashes series whitewash of England as one of the highlights of his career. "I've been around a long time, I've played a lot of games, but this will be as big a series for me as any I've every played in, I think,'' he said. He was adamant Australia would be "ultra-competitive'' if they played at their best and was looking for blossoming pacemen Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus and Doug Bollinger to continue their development and make a mark. "It's a great opportunity here for a Siddle or a Hilfenhaus or a Bollinger to really make a name for themselves and forge their own identity at international level.'' Ponting was also hopeful Victoria's veteran spinner Bryce McGain could unsettle the Proteas after mising the home series defeat through injury. "It's always nice to have a very good and highly skilled leg spinner in your side, which Bryce is,'' Ponting said. "There's every chance he could be that factor that we need over there.'' Ponting reiterated his surprise that South African vice-captain and middle order batsman Ashwell Prince wasn't selected in their squad following his return from injury and said his team had speical plans to nullify his impressive replacement J P Duminy. "We've had an opportunity to have a good look at him (Duminy) for a long period of time,'' said Ponting.'' "We've got some things up our sleeve that we will be able to execute well when we get the opportunity against him over there.'' Ponting expected to have a talk with uncapped opening batsman Phillip Hughes on the long flight over, with the youngster expected to debut at the top of the order following Matthew Hayden's recent retirement. He was clearly impressed by the New South Welshman's attitude following a chat at the Border Medal dinner. "Obviously, he is a very driven and very motivated young bloke that wants to be very successful for Australia, he's certainly done that for NSW already so we wish him all the best on this tour and hope he can be what we are looking for at the top of the order.'' Ponting expected to field his first Test line-up in the three-day lead-up match against South Africa A at Potchefstroom starting on Friday, with vice-captain Michael Clarke tipped to play after recovering from back spasms.

Johnson's workload to ease on Oz tour of South Africa Australian cricket team coach Tim Nielsen has said that he plans to reduce the workload of fast bowler Mitchell Johnson during the tour of South Africa. More... Johnson's workload to ease on Oz tour of South Africa ANI, February 15,2009 Melbourne, Feb. 15 (ANI): Australian cricket team coach Tim Nielsen has said that he plans to reduce the workload of fast bowler Mitchell Johnson during the tour of South Africa, which gets underway from Monday. The vastly improved Johnson has emerged as Australia's beacon of hope, ripping through the Proteas to take 17 wickets in three Tests at 25.88. But the Queenslander's rise to Australia's top-dog quick has coincided with a gruelling workload. Fformer Test bowlers Andy Bichel and Bruce Reid fear that 27-year-old Johnson is being pushed to breaking point. Nielsen while admitting that Johnson can expect an arduous South African tour; however insists he will not be burnt out. "One of our greatest challenges on this tour is to keep a guy like Mitch fresh. Mitch has done his fair share of bowling but that's why he had a break at the start of the one-dayers. Once we get to South Africa, we'll look after him - we'll make sure he gets enough work into his body to be ready to go for the Tests," Fox Sports quoted Nielsen, as saying. A Test greenhorn 15 months ago, Johnson's importance to the Australia attack has never been more critical. He has bowled more than 50 overs in each of his past three Tests, prompting calls from Reid and Bichel to ease the strain on Johnson. But with fellow quicks Peter Siddle and Doug Bollinger sharing just five Tests and 19 wickets and Ben Hilfenhaus untried in Test cricket, the left-armer will again be Ponting's man for any crisis in South Africa. Australia's bowling coach, Troy Cooley, said Johnson would be placed on a tailored management program, and he backed Siddle to shoulder the bowling burden. (ANI)