Postpone IPL: Chidambaram

SachDan

‘If states cannot handle security, we can’t hold IPL’ : IS Bindra IS Bindra, IPL governing council member & principal advisor to ICC, rules out the possibilty of going ahead with the Twenty20 event in absence of fool-proof security assurance from the state administrations. He spoke to Kadambari Murali Wade on perceptions post Lahore attack. Graphic: IPL's security measures include More... 'If states cannot handle security, we can't hold IPL' I.S. Bindra, IPL governing council member & principal advisor to ICC, spoke to HT on perceptions post Lahore I heard Mr. Chi- dambaram's inter- view and thought he was pretty flexible in what he said. We understand the government's point of view and are positive we can work out a solu- tion by rearranging some of the matches. - IS BINDRA Kadambari Murali Wade New Delhi How is the Lahore terror strike going to affect the perception of cricket in the subcontinent - how will it affect India? The attack has shown that cricket no longer lives in an ivory tower as many believed. I don't think the threat perception has heightened postMumbai. We were always particular about security and will fine-tune it now. But I don't think this is going to affect cricket in India directly After . all, if England could return to India after the Mumbai attacks, then Lahore is in a different country . Why the difference? Because of the perception that, unlike in India, terror in Pakistan is home grown. In Pakistan, unfortunately, you don't know who is a terrorist. In the last ICC meeting, PCB chairman Ijaz Butt stated that the international cricketing community was using double standards when it came to judging security issues in India and Pakistan. But the others did not agree. They believed what we did, that home grown terror was the issue. Coming to the IPL, who will be responsible for security at the event? Definitely, the administration. Security always comes under the state administration's purview and while we and the private security consultancy will help in the planning, the security per se will have to be handled by the government. But we are confident in the ability of the state administrations to handle that. But resources would be stretched in that case, with the elections on. The home minister said as much. I heard Mr. Chidambaram's interview and thought he was pretty flexible in what he said. We understand the govern ment's point of view and are positive we can work out a solution by rearranging some of the matches. We'll be meeting with the Home Secretary shortly and this should be sorted out. But Chidambaram indicated that it might be best to move the event to after the bulk of the elections was done. Could that happen? Definitely not. There is no other slot available for the IPL. If we cannot agree on rescheduling some matches, we would have to cancel the event. If the state administrations tell us they cannot handle the security there is no way we can go , ahead. But I'm sure it won't come to that. What about private security? How will that be handled and what is their job? What they do is advise us on formulations and the overall security plan. Like whether a particular hotel is secure, how to best protect the teams etc. We spent a lot of time in the recent Goa workshop discussing security issues and everyone felt that the Mohali and Chennai template for the Tests after the Mumbai attack were very good. You have one group advising you or different for different teams? The IPL will be advised by South African security consultants Nicholls, Steyn & Associates, who were brought in after the Jaipur blasts during last summer's IPL. The group prepares a detailed risk assessment and protection strategy and makes suggestions that are then given to all the host cities. Last time, we implemented their suggestion that control rooms, normally located in basements in Indian stadiums, were moved to places from where security supervisors could have a complete view of the grounds. It's a detail that makes matters more foolproof.

And what's this crap about private security agencies!! They'll be creamed by the terrorists before they have a chance to yell "security".
I wouldn't put it past them to hire people like Blackwater USA (maybe they cost too much). Isn't Mercenary Modi's middle name?

I wouldn't put it past them to hire people like Blackwater USA (maybe they cost too much). Isn't Mercenary Modi's middle name?
Blackwater has some scores to settle with the jehadis. I said bring them on. They are trigger happy people, and thats what we need in an event of a attempted disruption by the monsters from across the border (or our homebred mofos spreading the religion of peace). :giggle:

This Modi Gunda needs to be put in his place.He is crying around saying...the country doesn't come to a stand still because of elections. I hope this bully doesn't get his way this time.
So you agree that country should come to a standstill during an election? If yes, then why? Why should we give this larger than life image to general elections? Life will not stop for anyone during this period apart from the politicians and why should we let the politicians always dictate us? Besides that, after the Lahore attack, it is even more necessary to hold the event and our govt should do everything to see it go smoothly or else the entire world will keep painting the entire subcontinent with the same brush and we might see sports persons' reluctance to come even for commonwealth games!

Even if the home minister is saying it is difficult?Even if the states have mentioned that they will find it difficult?Is cricket more important that lives? Is it more important than elections?We are not talking about some small event .It is the elections of the biggest democracy which is the number one target of the biggest terrorists around. IPL is not a national tournament. BCCI doesn't even call it an Indian team.Why should the security of the people who want to go out their an cast a vote be compromised for an event ? Besides who the bloody hell is BCCI (modi) to dictate terms to the govt? Will this country be run according to a time table provided by this rogue(modi)? I want to go out there and vote without the fear that the security responsible for doing so has been provided to make money for this goon.

So you agree that country should come to a standstill during an election? If yes, then why? Why should we give this larger than life image to general elections? Life will not stop for anyone during this period apart from the politicians and why should we let the politicians always dictate us? Besides that, after the Lahore attack, it is even more necessary to hold the event and our govt should do everything to see it go smoothly or else the entire world will keep painting the entire subcontinent with the same brush and we might see sports persons' reluctance to come even for commonwealth games!
What are u talkin?? Is IPL more important than the election?? Is life all about IPL?? cuz ur post seems to suggest that... and if home ministry cant provide sufficient security to IPL during election time , u have to take their word..simply cuz they r the authority.. like it or not u have to listen to them..

I think people being able to cast their votes with the best available security is much more important than some cricketing event. The government is not asking them to cancel IPL - just hold it when it's safe enough to be held. The last paragraph of your post is baffling - as I read it you are saying it's okay for the security in elections to be compromised as long as we can show the world that IPL can be held without a hitch? Whether you like it or not the government is and should be the ultimate authority on security. They not only have well trained personnel but intelligence which is not and should not be shared with private organizations. Your comparison with the commonwealth games is not valid - the government is arranging and guaranteeing security then and is not for IPL for the very good reason that people being able to vote in an election safely is not even comparable to holding some sporting event.

Even if the home minister is saying it is difficult?Even if the states have mentioned that they will find it difficult?Is cricket more important that lives? Is it more important than elections?We are not talking about some small event .It is the elections of the biggest democracy which is the number one target of the biggest terrorists around. IPL is not a national tournament. BCCI doesn't even call it an Indian team.Why should the security of the people who want to go out their an cast a vote be compromised for an event ? Besides who the bloody hell is BCCI (modi) to dictate terms to the govt? Will this country be run according to a time table provided by this rogue(modi)? I want to go out there and vote without the fear that the security responsible for doing so has been provided to make money for this goon.
Brilliant post!

Even if the home minister is saying it is difficult?Even if the states have mentioned that they will find it difficult?
No way. State administrations and the govt HAS TO give it a nod to go ahead. My point is, why should it not be given the nod? Why does the govt need everything to stall completely for the general elections? They also must have have stopped the foreign delegations to come here, business to stop because adequate security is no given! My question is do you agree to this policy of govt. that everything should come to a standstill for a general election?
Is cricket more important that lives? Is it more important than elections?We are not talking about some small event .It is the elections of the biggest democracy which is the number one target of the biggest terrorists around.
No. Nothing is more important than life. Why doesn't the govt cancel the elections as security agencies are warning of more terror attacks during elections? They can't. Life must go on whether we have terror threats or not. Election must go on even if we are warned for more terror strikes during the event and likewise everything included IPL also must go on.
IPL is not a national tournament. BCCI doesn't even call it an Indian team.Why should the security of the people who want to go out their an cast a vote be compromised for an event ? Besides who the bloody hell is BCCI (modi) to dictate terms to the govt? Will this country be run according to a time table provided by this rogue(modi)? I want to go out there and vote without the fear that the security responsible for doing so has been provided to make money for this goon.
Security should not be compromised for anything. Even if it were a national tournament, common man's security should never be compromised. Modi or anyone else cannot dictate the terms to govt. But at the same time, govt also needs to be reminded that elections should not dictate every policy of the country. And everyone else should stand still during the elections. I am also going out there to cast my vote and obviously I'd like to do it without any fear too. My point is why can't the govt have adequate security for everyone even during the elections? I do not agree to everything being stalled till the elections are over. Biggest democracy or not, we are spending enough money on security and they should be provided all the time whether it is election or IPL or commonwealth games or any such events. I also want India to show the world that Lahore and Indian cities cannot be painted with the same brush!
The last paragraph of your post is baffling - as I read it you are saying it's okay for the security in elections to be compromised as long as we can show the world that IPL can be held without a hitch?
No. You misunderstood. I want govt to provide security to everyone even during the elections.
Whether you like it or not the government is and should be the ultimate authority on security. They not only have well trained personnel but intelligence which is not and should not be shared with private organizations.
I know it and quite like it too. In fact I would like everyone to follow govt's advice. My only point is why can't the govt give adequate security to events held during election also? why is our home minister going on warning people about more terror strikes during elections? If they have received any such information from intelligenge agency, why can't he concentrate on not letting it happen? Even during the Mumbai attacks, Indian navy and even the state authorities had enough information that something of that sort was being planned. Yet they failed big time. I just want to say that our home minister's responsibility won't be over just by warning.
Your comparison with the commonwealth games is not valid - the government is arranging and guaranteeing security then and is not for IPL for the very good reason that people being able to vote in an election safely is not even comparable to holding some sporting event.
If you read the sites from other countries, they seem to think that the entire subcontinent is the same. No one remembers that we held the test series just after Mumbai attacks. If the govt cancels the IPL and that too just after the Lahore attack, it might create a negative perception. Why didn't PC tell IPL to be postponed just after the election-dates were announced? Why did he have to do it just after Lahore attacks? You will know and I will know that general election was the reason behind it. I don't think the rest of the world will think so. And I think that the govt can provide security to everyone.

Chandan, if I have 10 security personnel and it takes me 8 to hold the elections and 4 to hold the IPL, where am I going to get the remaining 2 from? On the other hand, if there is some foreign delegation or business event takes only 1-2 personnel then I can still host that. The government is not asking everything to be stopped, but for the postponement of an event which will stretch it's resources.

Thats what I'm saying Shwetabh. I think that is what IPL officials and govt are discussing at the moment. Security will be needed at the places where polls are held. What if on those days as well as 24 hrs before and after at those place the matches are not held? IPL matches can even be cancelled totally on those days. If the govt still feels that security won't be adequate, then I don't see how can IPL or any other tournament can be held. But I'll not be happy if govt fails to provide security despite all these.

Now this worries me : LINK IPL fate hinges on discussion between Centre and states New Delhi (PTI): A decision on whether the Indian Premier League can go ahead with a revised schedule would be taken after the central government discusses the matter with the host states and the Election Commission. The IPL organisers have conveyed to the Home Ministry that they do not require any central forces for the security. "Ministry of Home Affairs passed on the new schedule to the states on Wednesday itself and is waiting for their response as to whether they need para-military forces for matches or not," Special Secretary (Internal Security) Raman Srivastava told reporters here. The new schedule starts from April 10 and ends on May 24, he said. Raman revealed that after receiving the response from the state governments, the Home Ministry will go to the Election Commission informing them about the security arrangements. The states where the IPL matches are scheduled to be held are Delhi, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. He said the BCCI had written a letter to Home Minister P Chidambaram saying that they "do not require central para-military forces and can do with state police and they have given a new schedule on Wednesday avoiding election dates." ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think just state police is not enough. This will make cricketers a soft target. I hope states reply that they indeed need para-military forces or else the tournament should be cancelled! Just 5 polling days will not let the cricketers have adequate security. And in such a situation, there is no point in holding the tournament!

No way. State administrations and the govt HAS TO give it a nod to go ahead. My point is, why should it not be given the nod? Why does the govt need everything to stall completely for the general elections? They also must have have stopped the foreign delegations to come here, business to stop because adequate security is no given! My question is do you agree to this policy of govt. that everything should come to a standstill for a general election? Do you have no idea about the state of our security forces? Do you know how badly overstreched they are?Given the state of terrorist risk even without the IPL drama ....why do we need to bring them to a break point? And elections of the nation is probably the most important eventfor any nation.Nothing...and I humbly repeat nothing comes close to it.And if the security forces are already overstrected ...where is the need to burden them further. No ...I don't agree that life should come to a stand still but a bollywood tamasha like IPL is not worth the trouble.These goon were aware that elections were due during this time ...let them suffer.

No. Nothing is more important than life. Why doesn't the govt cancel the elections as security agencies are warning of more terror attacks during elections? They can't. Life must go on whether we have terror threats or not. Election must go on even if we are warned for more terror strikes during the event and likewise everything included IPL also must go on. I really don't believe any one can compare the election and IPL tamasha.Elections are the most important event for a nation and it's people .....while IPL is just a tamasha.

Security should not be compromised for anything. Even if it were a national tournament, common man's security should never be compromised. Modi or anyone else cannot dictate the terms to govt. But at the same time, govt also needs to be reminded that elections should not dictate every policy of the country. And everyone else should stand still during the elections. I am also going out there to cast my vote and obviously I'd like to do it without any fear too. My point is why can't the govt have adequate security for everyone even during the elections? I do not agree to everything being stalled till the elections are over. Biggest democracy or not, we are spending enough money on security and they should be provided all the time whether it is election or IPL or commonwealth games or any such events. I also want India to show the world that Lahore and Indian cities cannot be painted with the same brush! >>>Yes...the govt should be able to provide security for elections,IPL and any other tamasha that anyone wants.....may be in some ideal country with enough resources and less worries.Unfortunately ,we are not in that ideal country.We are a nation at war with terrorists of every shade.We just have to prioritorize ...and most people with a sense of reality would agree that if the security forces are required for elections...that is where they should be.

No. Nothing is more important than life. Why doesn't the govt cancel the elections as security agencies are warning of more terror attacks during elections? They can't. Life must go on whether we have terror threats or not. Election must go on even if we are warned for more terror strikes during the event and likewise everything included IPL also must go on. I really don't believe any one can compare the election and IPL tamasha.Elections are the most important event for a nation and it's people .....while IPL is just a tamasha.
I wonder where do you get an idea that I'm comparing election with IPL! You must be thinking then that I'm comparing life with IPL? I said everything must go on, be it one's everyday life, one's school-going or office going, general elections and other things that happen in the country. And don't tell me that the govt didn't know it needed to hire much more manual power and train them for security? Please read what PC said that he did two months Mumbai attack. According to him our security force's capacity has risen quite significantly. In the wake of that only I felt that security could be provided during polls as we have just 5 polling days. In Delhi, for example we'll have just one day for polling. Why do you then think that the govt will fail to provide security? Or is the govt turning IPL into a political game? Also, I don't know how you find IPL a bollywood tamasha when so many players participate in it seriously. According to you, even India-NZ game also might be just a bollywood tamasha since a bollywood actress is there in the crowd? I think players play in it sincerely and it might be a tamasha for only those who are interested in watching what is happening awaty from the field.
We are a nation at war with terrorists of every shade.We just have to prioritorize ...and most people with a sense of reality would agree that if the security forces are required for elections...that is where they should be.
I've always said that security at elections should not be compromised at any costs. But there are other points too. 1. Just 5 days of polling 2. Rescheduled IPL And this should be enough for the govt to provide adequate security to both. If it fails to do so, of course any thing other than election has to be scrapped! But if govt has indeed done as much work as it claims, I don't see it getting over stretched in providing ample security to election as well as other events during this period!

Cricket is safe in India: Chidambaram Home Minister P Chidambaram said that no cricketer should worry about security while playing in India as the sport is completely safe in the country, reports Ashok Das. More... Cricket is safe in India: Chidambaram Ashok Das, Hindustan Times Hyderabad, March 06, 2009 First Published: 17:15 IST(6/3/2009) Last Updated: 17:21 IST(6/3/2009) In an indirect dig at Pakistan, where visiting Sri Lankan cricket team was attacked by gunmen, Home Minister P Chidambaram said on Friday that no cricketer should worry about security while playing in India as the sport is "completely safe" in the country. " Nobody needs to worry about safety while playing cricket in India, I want cricket to be played in India," he said. "Cricket in India is completely safe but the IPL and election schedules are overlapping and rescheduling seems unavoidable. I must know whether I have enough paramilitary forces to provide security to the IPL," he added. "I did not blame IPL because when they announced their schedule they were unaware of the elections schedule. I did not say IPL matches should be postponed. We will try to help IPL hold matches as per schedule. However, rescheduling of matches is required from security point of view," he said. Chidambaram was at Hyderabad to review the security set up put in place by the government of Andhra Pradesh ahead of General Elections and the proposed IPL matches. He called for urgent improvement in the urban policing and efficient monitoring of the coastal areas surrounding the state. While calling for a better co-ordination among various security agencies and local police, the Minister promised that the recruitment of policemen for further strengthening the security set up will be completed in the stipulated time.