Change in IPL Arrangements

Rajiv

For starters I personally dont care much about IPL anyway. Load of trash and foolish show of economic belligerence if you ask me. From a Security perspective I would think that cricketers are quite safe though. I mean I understand it sounds stupid post Lahore attacks but cricketers are generally given State like Security in India. They are cordoned by top commandoes who can take on the terrorists if need be. The difference between Mumbai attacks and Lahore attacks is while the former were hapless citizens who became sitting ducks, in latter case there was a semblance of Security officials taking on the terrorists. So yes I would think providing cricketers with top security should quell that fear. Although it makes me question whats the point of this exercise? If IPL doesnt happen this year how exactly does it affect India, or Indian cricket?? xxx

IPL and Modi haters are missing one very important aspect of this. The IPL ensures that dozends of young indian players get an opportunity to train, play, and compete with world-class cricketers at the highest level. The IPL, if it gets institutionalized as THE primary cricket pro cricket league, will ensure that India will perenially have a shot at dominating world cricket. For this reason alone, all indian cricket fans should want the IPL to succeed, even the so-called holier than thou purists who claim to hate twenty-20 cricket. If the IPL runs its first 5 seasons successfully, then it will be very hard to dislodge it as the success will generate more money for the league and it will become a self-sustaining cycle. But these early years are crucial.