Haroon Lorgat controversy over Lahore attacks

Texy

Cricinfo staff March 9, 2009 ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat's comments that umpires Simon Taufel and Steve Davis needed to be "more rational" in their assessment of the security at the time of the terrorist attack in Lahore has drawn a stinging attack from Darrell Hair, speaking in his capacity as head of the New South Wales Umpires and Scorers Association. Lorgat, who was speaking shortly after arriving in Australia, was reacting to remarks from Taufel and Davis that they had been left high and dry when the attack started. He suggested that the pair needed time to reflect on things. "I am mindful of the experience they have gone through and I think it is a difficult time for them," he said. "I guess if you or I had gone through something we might have reacted in a similar fashion and I think we must just understand the context and we must just allow them to settle down and be more rational in their assessment of what has transpired." Speaking to AFP, Hair was clearly angry. "No one could possibly comprehend the frightening and life threatening nature of the predicament they found themselves in," he said. "For Lorgat to blandly ask them to be 'more rational' I think [smacks of] bullying and they are embarrassed that the full truth of the situation came out into the open. "I wonder if Lorgat would be making his shallow and insincere comments if it had been he trapped in a hail of bullets and felt abandoned by the very security forces that were supposed to protect them? "Does someone have to die before ICC even remotely begins to understand the reality of the matter? It's one thing to provide security and protection but another to actually be secure and protected. Quite simply, ICC and the PCB [Pakistan Cricket Board] totally failed the Sri Lankan players and the umpires, full stop." I have noticed, haroon lorgat has been overly supportive of Pakistan, refusing to make any decision about WC being hosted by Pakistan even after several attacks and more recently lahore attacks... Darell Hair's comments justified? or is Haroon Lorgat being controversial?

Who cares what this fool Hair has to say. He's just a bitter little fool looking for any opportunity and has an axe to grind. What a complete dumb ass statement:

"Does someone have to die before ICC even remotely begins to understand the reality of the matter? It's one thing to provide security and protection but another to actually be secure and protected. Quite simply, ICC and the PCB [Pakistan Cricket Board] totally failed the Sri Lankan players and the umpires, full stop."
Uh, people did die you clown! 6 security officers died in Pakistan but I guess since they weren't white it didn't matter to you. What a chump this guy is.

^^ I think his comments are vented in frustration at the criticism and threats of sacking / banning the ICC match officials by those ratbag PCB officials for exposing the myths regarding the security they were promised. As for people dying, well, this is Pakistan and police officials losing their lives protecting security targets is nothing new as it happens on a daily basis somewhere in Pakistan. Essentially, same old, same old, we're fighting a war, we're desensitized / used to it now. This might explain why hardly anyone takes responsibility. Had a match official or a Lankan player died, you can bet PCB would take it more "seriously" and a horde of resignations / sackings would follow suite As for their rebuttal of "Oh, you don't think a Pakistani life is the same value of a western life", well, we (everyone else) expect them to take that as its a nice little way of deflecting attention and portraying the rest of the world as insensitive clogs who are doing their best to demonize Pakistan.

I think the response is justified.ICC has been shockingly patient with the totally mind numbing comments from the PCB and its cricketers.Instead of siding with the victims...they are busy comforting the donkeys who are responsible for this mess. Just because the comments come from a clown called Hair doesn't mean they are wrong.The ICC has been shockingly insensitive.

I am with Hair on this because Haroon is effectively silencing the ICC umpires instead of taking to task the PCB. If he had questioned PCB about their false assurances and incompetence, then ICC could have avoided the pathetic situation of a captain like Younis Khan asking for an ICC Match referee to be banned! Javed Miandad, Wasim Bari and Ijaz Butt have been acting as if the terrorist attack on SL players and officials was a non-incident! jokers of the highest order!

Lorgat is just trying to be diplomatic. Privately, he must be as scathing as most people about the lapses in security in Pakistan. He’s just trying to act all suave and nice, in the hope it gives an impression of him being an all-inclusive head of ICC. Besides, if he himself criticizes the PCB, then that’s an indirect indictment of himself and the ICC. PCB must understand that merely refuting the allegations of guys like Broad, Taufel and Murali is not going to help their cause at all. If anything, its only going to make things worse for them. For all that the PCB can claim about security, the evidence is there for all to see. Quite clearly, the small white van in which the officials were traveling was stranded in the middle of the road, with its driver shot dead, as two terrorists took positions less than 50 m behind it and fired with impunity. PCB should remain silent, own up their mistakes with dignity. If anything, they must launch an intensive diplomatic charm offensive, rendering public apologies to all parties concerned, apologizing for the mistakes that were committed and assuring that such mistakes wont happen again. Once the anger of the people has subsided, PCB should embark a slow and painfully long process of trying to win back the people’s trust, which may take months if not years. Right now, there’s a lot of anger at PCB for not keeping their word reg. security. If they keep criticizing the same people who risked their lives to travel to Pakistan, that anger will turn to contempt, which will ultimately lead to a total boycott of Pakistan.

Lorgat is just trying to be diplomatic. Privately, he must be as scathing as most people about the lapses in security in Pakistan. He’s just trying to act all suave and nice, in the hope it gives an impression of him being an all-inclusive head of ICC. Besides, if he himself criticizes the PCB, then that’s an indirect indictment of himself and the ICC. PCB must understand that merely refuting the allegations of guys like Broad, Taufel and Murali is not going to help their cause at all. If anything, its only going to make things worse for them. For all that the PCB can claim about security, the evidence is there for all to see. Quite clearly, the small white van in which the officials were traveling was stranded in the middle of the road, with its driver shot dead, as two terrorists took positions less than 50 m behind it and fired with impunity. PCB should remain silent, own up their mistakes with dignity. If anything, they must launch an intensive diplomatic charm offensive, rendering public apologies to all parties concerned, apologizing for the mistakes that were committed and assuring that such mistakes wont happen again. Once the anger of the people has subsided, PCB should embark a slow and painfully long process of trying to win back the people’s trust, which may take months if not years. Right now, there’s a lot of anger at PCB for not keeping their word reg. security. If they keep criticizing the same people who risked their lives to travel to Pakistan, that anger will turn to contempt, which will ultimately lead to a total boycott of Pakistan.
Oh so you still think that has not happened now? If India is ever penned to visit Terroristan again in the next 15 years -- I will personally go and lynch the Prime Minister. You have to be on crack to think anything else.
That would be the common sense thing to do but common sense, or sense of any kind and Ijaz Butt don't go hand in hand. This guy is just another crack pot in a long line of PCB heads who have more invested in their own gains than the image of Pakistan cricket. Remember as soon as they came into power, they accused Ashraf and the previous PCB of actually stealing files, misaproriating funds and screwing up the national stadium etc instead of dealing with it in house.
Oh so you still think that has not happened now? If India is ever penned to visit Terroristan again in the next 15 years -- I will personally go and lynch the Prime Minister. You have to be on crack to think anything else.
Right now, there’s atleast a degree of sympathy for Pakistan in the world. People understand that Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism and are willing to give it the benefit of doubt. So, even though you may not have people actually touring them anytime soon, they will atleast talk and engage the PCB. But, with PCB’s shocking dumb approach in the aftermath of the attacks, people will be so angry that they wont even be willing to engage PCB. So, if people are not even willing to speak with PCB, how is PCB ever going to convince them to come back?
That would be the common sense thing to do but common sense, or sense of any kind and Ijaz Butt don't go hand in hand. This guy is just another crack pot in a long line of PCB heads who have more invested in their own gains than the image of Pakistan cricket. Remember as soon as they came into power, they accused Ashraf and the previous PCB of actually stealing files, misaproriating funds and screwing up the national stadium etc instead of dealing with it in house.
Their unprofessional attitude is shocking. Its crystal clear that none of these guys have any administrative or crisis-handling experience and are just puppet appointments. Personally, BCCI should stay away from PCB as much as possible. Coz, if you deal with unstable, erratic people, they will take you down with them, no matter how stable and consistent you are.

>>Right now, there’s atleast a degree of sympathy for Pakistan in the world. People understand that Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism and are willing to give it the benefit of doubt. I very much doubt it!Who is sympathetic with people who created this terrorism?They deserve no sympathy.

I very much doubt it!Who is sympathetic with people who created this terrorism?They deserve no sympathy.
I know there's very little support for Pakistan, but right now, there's atleast a section of people who are willing to give it the benefit of doubt. Soon, that will be gone too.

it's amazing how PCB now blaming ICC instead of blaming themselves.... the pakistani bus left 5 mins later and umpire mini van did not receive any protection and hence they're justified in speaking their mind... can't believe PCB has asked ICC to ban BROAD..... I was never a fan of Chris Broad but this is outrageous....definitely supporting him in this occasion.... who wouldn't be terrified when you are getting shot at.

when the poms wanted to cut short and go back home after mumbai incident, did they mention that Indian Forces laid their lives to protect guests at the hotels. Well NOT ... If I refuse to visit Pak and sight the attack on SL cricket team as a reason then why should I pay tribute to pakistani policemen dieing. I do have sympathy for the ones who died but its not compulsory for every person to mention that along with any comment made towards PCB. PCB failed , pakistani security arrangements failed and couple of the cops were seeing acting and hiding rather than attacking the terrorists when bullets were being shot at the vehicles carrying the umpires

a few questions: 1. will Haroon Logart of ICC tell the critically wounded 4th umpire to be 'rational' in the criticism of pakistani security forces when he gets discharged from hospital? 2. Since the ICC accepted a security report about the safety of their officials before the tour, what would be their position if Simon Taufel/Steve Davis/Chris Broad /Peter Manuel sue ICC for damages ? 3. it is quite obvious that 6 policemen were killed by the terrorists, but were they killed while defending the players or were they shot dead even before they could react? because as of now there is no evidence of any terrorists getting injured in the counter attack by the Police. 4. how many policemen were guarding the SL players and the officials van? apart from the 6 dead and 2 injured, what were the remaining police doing when the umpires van was under terrorist attack for close to 20 minutes? what was the action taken against them?