India Under-19s in Australia 2009

Chandan

India U-19 continue winning run in Australia Australia Under-19s v India Under-19s - 1st Youth Test, Day 3 Hobart: Harshal Patel snared three wickets before Mayank Agarwal and Avi Bharat struck fluent half-centuries to guide the Indian under-19 team to a nine-wicket win over itsAustralian counterpart in the first three-day cricket match here on ... More... India U-19 continue winning run in Australia India U-19 continue winning run in Australia Monday, 13 April 2009 22:36 Arjun Wadhwa India Under-19 completed a comprehensive nine-wicket win over their Australian counterparts at the Bellerive Oval in Hobart, in the first of two three-day games on its tour down under. Centuries by Mandeep Singh (126) and Harpreet Singh (125) ensured the visitors a first-innings lead of 111 on the second day. The Indian bowlers and fielders got into the act on the final day, Australia were bowled out for a mere 228, with medium-pacer Harshal Patel taking three wickets for 32 runs from a little more than 8 overs, and off-spinner Kundan Singh chipping in with two. The hosts did not help their cause with as many as three run-outs. Opener Mayank Agarwal, who has had a great tour so far, with 160 in the second one-dayer and 68 in the first innings of the three-day game, then scored an unbeaten 62 in the second. The Indians reached the target of 118 in only 18.4 overs, for the loss of only one wicket, with number three Avi Bharat scoring an impressive 52 not out. In the morning session it was 17-year old West Australian Mitchell Marsh that made the play for the home side as the tall right-hander went on to register his first century of the series. It was a chanceless innings from the teenager who finished with 109 from 123 deliveries including 11 fours and a six to follow-up his 29 and 3-36 earlier in the match. Although obviously disappointed with the loss, Marsh noted it was a good consolation to score an international hundred. "It was obviously good to get a few runs, just a shame we couldn't get a few more on the board and really put some pressure on them later today. It was good to hit them reasonably well and get some time out there to work out the spinners and have a game plan against them and hit the ball well." Marsh received good support on day three from Nic Maddinson (42) and Tom Triffitt (28). The teams will now fly to Perth, for the third one-dayer on 17th April, and the second three-dayer on the 19th. Australia trails three-nil in the series, however Marsh said there was still plenty of opportunities to be had in Perth and the team would be looking to finish on a positive note. "I think just with our bowling and fielding we've got to be a bit more consistent," he said. "When you've got batters like Mayank Agarwal and Mandeep Singh and those types of batsman you just can't afford to bowl bad deliveries and the only way to get players like that is to keep the pressure on to force the error. "It's been amazing to watch and to think that they're the same age as us and they hit the ball so cleanly and they know where they're going to hit it every time, it's just got to watch. Unfortunately we were on the receiving end a bit though." Remember these names, you are going to see a lot more of them in the future!

"It's been amazing to watch and to think that they're the same age as us and they hit the ball so cleanly and they know where they're going to hit it every time, it's just got to watch. Unfortunately we were on the receiving end a bit though." !
Sarcasm Eh ?

In this IPL's build-up, I completely forgot that our U-19 was to play a one day match and a three day match at WACA, Perth. Anyway, the Youth ODI took place on 17th of the this month and Indian colts went down in the match. Australia Under-19s v India Under-19s - 3rd Youth ODI Consolation win for Australians (Indian POV) Perth: Mayank Agarwal came out with some tempestuous batting display but his 37-ball 60 failed to serve the purpose as Australia under-19 team registered a 15-run consolation win over India in the final one-dayer of the three-match series here on Friday. Opting to bat, Australia scored 276 for seven in 50 overs, thanks to Jason Floros’s 59-ball 70 and Joel Garrett’s 52 off 47 balls, before skittling out the Indians for 261 in 47.3 overs at the WACA. India had already secured a 2-0 lead by winning the first two encounters. Chasing 277, India suffered an early jolt in the form of opener Mukul Dagar (11), but soon recovered as Mayank Agarwal and Mandeep Singh (30) produced a 48-run second wicket partnership. Mayank, India’s most consistent batsman on the tour, continued his splendid run as the visitor cruised at 82 for one, before losing three quick wickets for just forty runs.But the other Indian batsmen failed to deliver, except Sufiyan Shaikh who made a defiant 57-ball 61 and Harpreet Singh (33). Earlier, skipper Tim Armstrong joined hands with his opening partner Mitchell Marsh to give a solid 69-run partnership, before Maneria’s direct throw found him short off the crease on 39. Fighting target Unmoved by the jolt, Marsh, who struck seven boundaries, then paired up with Travis Dean (21) to stitch second-wicket partnership of 35 runs before Indian medium pacer Harshal Patel’s delivery uprooted his stump. Then the Australians suffered a mid-innings slump but the Indian bowlers squandered the advantage as Garrett and Floros drafted a timely recovery with 118-run stand to help the team post a fighting target of 277. Floros hit seven fours, including twice through the aerial route before Mandeep Singh pouched him off Harshal Patel’s delivery. The Australian also found an able ally in Garrett, who adorned his innings with four fours and a six. Aus U19 get home in close finish:Floros and Garrett secure consolation win (Australian POV) 19 April, 2009 Matt Cenin for cricket.com.au 00023302-image.jpgTim Armstrong The Australia Under-19 side got home in a close finish by 15-runs against India Under-19 at the WACA on Friday, thanks to some good performances from some new players in the side. Australia Under-19 skipper Tim Armstrong won the toss and opted to bat on a slightly tacky WACA strip, with the openers setting the foundations as the home side went on to amass 7-276 from their 50 overs. India’s chase was hot and cold, with solid partnerships often foiled just as they were getting looking ominous, which ultimately proved their downfall as they fell agonizingly close, all-out for 261 in 47.3 overs. The ACT's Jason Floros joined the Australian squad in Perth as scheduled and the left-hander had immediate impact with a match-high 70 runs and the Player of the Match award. “It was an amazing experience to join the Australian Under 19 squad and to play at the WACA ground,” Floros said. “The team played really well and it was great to be part of such a tight match and to come out on top with a win.” Floros joined South Australian Joel Garrett (52) at the crease when the score was 5-115 and looking shaky, but the pair rescued the ship, putting on a 108-run partnership for the sixth wicket. “I was nervous before I went out to bat but I felt comfortable after getting that first run,” Floros said. “The spinners were turning it big but I knew I had to stay positive so I tried to use my feet and the sweep shot to smother the spin. It was a big challenge but I loved every minute of it.” The openers got the innings off to a good start with Mitch Marsh (45) and skipper Armstrong (39) putting on 69 for the first wicket. Spinner Kundan Singh was the pick of the Indian bowlers taking 2-44 from his 10 overs, with Harshal Patel also picking up two wickets. In reply, the Indian chase was steady, however wickets fell at regular 20-30 run periods throughout the innings which disrupted partnerships just as they got going. Wicket-keeper Sufian Sheikh top scored for the visitors with 61, almost rescuing his side with a 59-run partnership for the seventh wicket with Gagendeep Singh (29), taking the score from 6-187 to 7-246 after 44 overs. However a few quick wickets to the hosts quickly rounded-up the tail leaving the visitors hanging just short of the required target. Earlier in the innings, opener Mayank Agarwal made a solid 60, with Mandeep Singh also chipping in with 30. Kane Richardson, Sean Abbott, Adam Zampa and Armstrong all snared two wickets each in a solid all-round bowling effort to secure the hosts first win in the five-match series. The final match of the Under-19 International Series gets underway at the WACA today, with the Australians looking to nab a second win and finish the series on a high note. Play starts at 10am local time. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It still doesn't say if the Indian batsmen struggled because of the extra bounce of WACA or not. Pitch was tacky alright, but what about the reason for Indians not being as dominant there? Or was it just one off day?

Chandan, Look out for Mitchell Marsh. That kid will go places. He was catching people's eyes and being talked up as a big int'l prospect for Australia two years ago when he was just 15! He's an incredibly tall lad (about 190 cm), a huge hitter (known to belt a good number of sixes in the club/grade competitions), and at just 17 now is one of the first names penned down in the U19 squad. He's also the younger brother of Shaun Marsh and people who have seen him think that big brother is going to be seriously overshadowed by younger brother Mitch. Meanwhile, I hear good things about opener Mayank Agarwal. Definitely a guy who will shine for Karnataka in the future. And maybe a future international for India?

The the 3 day game at WACA has already started. here is the Live scorecard And this is the report of Day 1: Australia Under-19s v India Under-19s at WACA - 2nd Youth Test, Day 1 Aus U19s on top after day one : Richardson's five boosts Australia 19 April, 2009 Matt Cenin for cricket.com.au 00023303-image.jpgKane Richardson Australia Under-19s 5 for 136 (Beaton 70) trail India Under-19s 165 (Meenaria 51, Richardson 5-28) by 29 runs A five-wicket haul from speedster Kane Richardson has helped put the Australian Under-19 side on top after day one of play in the three-day match against India Under-19 at the WACA. Richardson snared figures of 5-28 from 10 overs, including three maidens, to dismantle the tourists for 168 all out in less than 45 overs. Australia then went in to bat and is precariously placed at 5-136 at stumps after losing late wickets. Opener, local West Australian Tom Beaton, made a solid 70 for the hosts to keep them in the chase. Wickets fell steadily all innings as India struggled with the Aussie pace attack, lead by Richardson, with support from Victorian Jackson Coleman (2-25) and Jason Floros (2-46). Richardson said it was good to get a few wickets and to help the team into a good position heading into the second day. "It was very pleasing to bowl well and take some wickets. The pitch offered some assistance early which was nice after the batsmen dominated in Hobart," the 18-year-old said. "To bowl India out for under 200 was a great effort. We have had some tough days in the field this series so it was nice to pull it together as a bowling group today." Indian skipper Ashok Maneria was the top scored in his side’s innings, compiling 51 from 71 deliveries, with Patel contributing with a handy 32 down the order at number nine to help drag the score up. In reply, the start from the hosts was steady as they looked to gain control of the innings and Beaton lead the way as he and Nic Maddinson (19) put on 61 for the opening wicket before a collapse of 4- late in the day. Beaton’s 70 came from 96 deliveries and included six fours and two sixes on his way to his third score over 50 in the series. Indian spinner Kundan Singh did the late damage for the visitors snaring 3-37 from his 14 overs. At stumps on day one Australia is 5-136, with Tim Armstrong and Mitch Marsh at the crease and Richardson said that the plan would be simple; score more runs. "We will be looking to get as many runs as possible, build a good lead and then use the new ball well in the second innings. Hopefully Mitchell (Marsh), Tim (Armstrong) and the lower order can get going in the morning to really set us up," Richardson said. Play resumes at the WACA tomorrow from 10am local time.

Chandan, Look out for Mitchell Marsh. That kid will go places. He was catching people's eyes and being talked up as a big int'l prospect for Australia two years ago when he was just 15! He's an incredibly tall lad (about 190 cm), a huge hitter (known to belt a good number of sixes in the club/grade competitions), and at just 17 now is one of the first names penned down in the U19 squad. He's also the younger brother of Shaun Marsh and people who have seen him think that big brother is going to be seriously overshadowed by younger brother Mitch. Meanwhile, I hear good things about opener Mayank Agarwal. Definitely a guy who will shine for Karnataka in the future. And maybe a future international for India?
Yes Salil. Just read an article about these two brothers: Marsh brothers aim for cricket honours Justin Chadwick April 15, 2009 Last decade it was the Waughs, at the moment it's the Husseys. Could the next sibling pair to represent Australia be the Marshs? Shaun and Mitchell Marsh certainly hope so, although the talented duo are desperately trying to keep expectations under wraps while 17-year-old Mitchell continues his progression up the ranks. Mitchell, who played two one-dayers for WA last season, recently made the tough decision to put aside a promising football career in order to concentrate fully on cricket. The decision paid early dividends, with the prolific right-hander striking a century for the Australian Under-19 team in their recent clash with India. Shaun Marsh, who has notched 14 one-day and three Twenty20 appearances for Australia, said the pair's goal was to play together on the international stage. "Obviously that's the ultimate goal," 25-year-old Shaun said. "Any young kid who plays cricket, their goal is to play for Australia and one day if me and Mitch get the opportunity to play in the Australian team together, that would be fantastic. "But that's a long way away and we've got to take one step at a time. "Hopefully we can play for WA together next year. "It would be a huge achievement for both of us and that's something we are really striving towards. "We haven't spoken about national yet, that's a long way away, but hopefully we can play together for WA next year. "Mitchell has had a bit of a taste of one-day cricket for WA ... but he's got a long way to go. "Going up to the academy is going to be a great experience for him, he's going to learn a lot about himself and his cricket." Mitchell Marsh, son of former Test opener Geoff Marsh, said he wasn't feeling the pressure despite the success of his dad and brother. Shaun, who has returned to full fitness after tearing his hamstring on February 1, said his immediate aim was to re-establish himself at the top of Australia's order in the upcoming one-day tour against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates. "I'm not going to put any extra pressure on myself, I'm just going over there and enjoy being around the team and if I get the call-up in the first game I've just got to concentrate and do the best possible job for the team," Shaun said. "To play for your country is an absolute honour. "Obviously we've lost a lot of experience with Ricky (Ponting) and Mike Hussey and Mitch (Johnson) resting so having Binga (Brett Lee) back in the team along with Symo (Andrew Symonds) is fantastic. "I'll be feeding off those guys definitely." --------------------------------------------------------------- So Mitch Marsh had a football career?

Chandan, This is an interesting discussion on another board I post on - http://thevictortrumpercricketboard.yuku.com/topic/4274 - about Mitch Marsh with a thread that has been updated slowly since 2007. This was where I first heard the name (back at the age of 15 and where Eddie Smith called him the next Tendulkar, slightly tongue in cheek - but there's a grain of truth behind a lot of jokes). From what I gather from the thread Mitch played Aussie rules football (quite the athlete) and the AFL had been trying to lure him. Mitch eventually settled on cricket. Good!

Chandan, This is an interesting discussion on another board I post on - http://thevictortrumpercricketboard.yuku.com/topic/4274 - about Mitch Marsh with a thread that has been updated slowly since 2007. This was where I first heard the name (back at the age of 15 and where Eddie Smith called him the next Tendulkar, slightly tongue in cheek - but there's a grain of truth behind a lot of jokes). From what I gather from the thread Mitch played Aussie rules football (quite the athlete) and the AFL had been trying to lure him. Mitch eventually settled on cricket. Good!
Thanks for this discussion in the link provided Salil. Even I worried a lot that our younger cricketers get very few opportunities to play at the age level. In India we have one CK Naidu tournament and that is all. Why can't we send our U-19 squads away on a regular basis and likewise invite foreign teams to India as well so that these teenagers get good exposure and good competition? I think we should also think about having one A tour at home and one abroad every year too. We must keep our emerging players in the game and make them aware of the opportunities.

Looks like the Indian colts are heading for a big defeat in this match as they are 8 down for just 181 in the 2nd inning on the second day, just 123 runs ahead. They won the one day series 2-1 but will be drawing the the youth test series, it seems.

fineleg, didn't realize you had seen that game. Can you share some info on how the pitch played? Is there any progress being made at the WACA with all the talk about how they're trying to get it to lose the flat character it has these days and getting the old pace and bounce back? Any thoughts on Marsh or the young Indian players? Would be grateful for your insights, given that I didn't see that match. TIA.

sarcasm, pfft. I'd think Kane Richardson would have seen the pitch: "The pitch offered some assistance early which was nice after the batsmen dominated in Hobart," also in the other one: "Tim Armstrong won the toss and opted to bat on a slightly tacky WACA strip" Hobart was certainly easier to bat on.

sarcasm, pfft. I'd think Kane Richardson would have seen the pitch: "The pitch offered some assistance early which was nice after the batsmen dominated in Hobart," also in the other one: "Tim Armstrong won the toss and opted to bat on a slightly tacky WACA strip" Hobart was certainly easier to bat on.
I see so a relative comparison means Indian players can't handle any movement. Great analysis and expertise you show.
Yep..Mayank is from Kormangala,B'lore. Is an aggressive opener who idolizes Sehwag.Great news hs doing well in Aus as well:two_thumbs_up: He and Karun Nair started out together from Kormangala Cricket Academy in Bangalore..both have been brilliant at the Junior levels.Karun is technically superior of the two and unsurprisingly idolises Dravid.
Anywhere near the hospital (St John's)? Is it the sports complex opposite the hospital?