This is why we need Rohit Sharma

DomainK

Rohit was retarded yesterday. It's not even that he can't rotate strike...the intent is just not there. In the powerplay he was defending to 2-3 deliveries, even when he had played 15+ deliveries himself. He's a great talent but he needs to go back and work on his game in domestic cricket.

With the exception of Viru none pf the players was sufficiently focused today to cope with the conditions. Rohit was promoted because it was a dead rubbber and presumably Dhoni wanted to give him the opportunity to shine, an opportunity which he blew with his failure to capitalise on rotating the strike as a result of which he never got 'in' to accumulate runs at the end. In fairness to Rohit he didn't get the support that the other players should have given but he didn't do himself any favours by playing the test innings that he did. Giving the Kiwis this victory might just lure them into a false sense of security as we go into the test series, a series in which they're going to struggle to no end.

Dhoni's oft stated wording "Clarity of thought" is what was missing in Rohit's performance yesterday. That caused him to go for wrong shot selection, as well as not farming the strike enough with the tail-enders. I hope he learns from this Innings on the Do's and Don'ts of batting with lower order in ODI's.

Rohit Sharma? One of the biggest losers to come out of Indian cricket in a generation, on par with the likes of VRV Singh, Munaf Patel and Manoj Tiwari. Have you seen how overweight he is?
Munaf Patel needs to cut out the diagonal step for his run up and he'll be OK. And overweight? So is Yuvraj and let's not even talk about Sehwag. Rohit's a great fielder. Just needs to go back and work on his game, in particular how to rotate strike. Not sure how you can label him a big loser after he played well in the CB series.

@Chandan

lad has technique and pluck to survive in tough conditions. And you should appreciate it.
Yes, that's right and I appreciate that, for this reason he should be in our test team.
I remember that in T20 WC also, SA had prepared a seaming track for us and it was Rohit who had survived their spell and we could post a respectable total for our bowlers to defend.
That's the reason why he has been given so many chances to prove his worth in ODIs . If I remember correctly he played his shot early in that inning and scored a fluent half century. That means he can score fast but now days he doesn't care.
They were idiots if they were trying to score fast when they couldn't understand how to tackle swing.
By this logic those are also idiots who know they can score fast on flat track but choose to play slow. And if I have to choose I will choose idiots who will try to score fast on swing track than idiots who will not try to score fast on flat track. And mind you more than 90% ODI tracks are flat. Rohit was not out yesterday because he wanted to be not out (regardless of team requirements). Until he understands team requirement is the most important thing, we will be a better ODI team without Rohit than with Rohit.

Rohit's a few years away from the ODI team. He's one hell of a talent, but based on his game so far and recent performances, he should not be in the ODI squad ahead of Pujara, Kohli and co. But to call him a loser is premature and approaching fineleg-levels of drama/hyperbole. He was one of the outstanding batsmen in the domestics, and his game is evolving into what we will soon need in the test middle order. Solid shots off the front and back foot, a cool temperament and now he's learnt how to build big innings as his last season shows. Keep him in domestics, let him keep playing for Mumbai a while longer and develop his game further under Amre's guidance. He'll be a great addition to the national side in due time. But right now he's nowhere near ready, as his game isn't yet versatile enough to cope with the demands of ODI cricket, and to dub him a loser when he can take on the Australian attack and build a near chanceless century against them in a first class game, or single handedly take apart the best domestic attack in India is extreme.

thanks god..i thougt i was the only one... R.Sharma was the reason for the collapse...ZKhan, Bhajji, Sehwag got out coz of him...It was shame that ISharma was trying to slog at the end though it should havee been R.Sharma who should have done it.....hop3fully last nit was the last time I saw R.Sharma in Indian outfit...

Munaf Patel needs to cut out the diagonal step for his run up and he'll be OK. And overweight? So is Yuvraj and let's not even talk about Sehwag. Rohit's a great fielder. Just needs to go back and work on his game, in particular how to rotate strike. Not sure how you can label him a big loser after he played well in the CB series.
yuvraj is not overweight mate... sehwag sure is, and he could benefit by losing a few pounds. ok like a dozen pounds.
Talent matters zilch if not married with temparament. He's quite clearly a bottler. A less talented but more determined player with self belief would have cemented his place long ago. Bottler.
Bottler how? I think you forgot his partnership with Tendulkar that sealed the deal in the CB final? Have you forgotten his unbeaten 50 on a seaming track in the T20's versus South Africa? Whassup with you? maybe you got access to marijuana cuz your a doc and all. Rule #1, don't get high off your own supply.
yuvraj is not overweight mate... sehwag sure is' date=' and he could benefit by losing a few pounds. ok like a dozen pounds.[/quote'] bro I saw his stomach yesterday while batting...he looked chunky. Hopefully that was the wind blowing his shirt off though. Uthappa's another who's developed man boobs.

Yuvraj is overweight by miles. He hits the pub all night and drinks a barrell. What do you expect his condition to be? He was seen off from a pub by a bouncer in Wellington. A little push by the Punjabi lads and he was on the floor. That said he's extremely talented and I haven't seen any other cricketer hit a ball like he has but he's such a spoilt brat.

Bottler how? I think you forgot his partnership with Tendulkar that sealed the deal in the CB final? Have you forgotten his unbeaten 50 on a seaming track in the T20's versus South Africa? Whassup with you? maybe you got access to marijuana cuz your a doc and all. Rule #1, don't get high off your own supply.
Still hanging from a rod, Shivam? You certainly talk like some prehensile creatures that can be seen doing similar stuff in zoos. Maybe they were trying to become taller as well, who knows? Anyway, if you were to pick and choose and arrive at the one solitary knock that the chap happened to play out of around 50 chances he received, confuse ODI and T-20 cricket, and basically resort to utterly nonsensical arguments in keeping with your vertically and intellectually challenged status, why not bring back Md Kaif while you are at it? If an average of 27 and a SR of 73 was going to inform future Indian stars, he'd certainly feel unlucky to be jettisoned.
Still hanging from a rod, Shivam? You certainly talk like some prehensile creatures that can be seen doing similar stuff in zoos. Maybe they were trying to become taller as well, who knows? Anyway, if you were to pick and choose and arrive at the one solitary knock that the chap happened to play out of around 50 chances he received, confuse ODI and T-20 cricket, and basically resort to utterly nonsensical arguments in keeping with your vertically and intellectually challenged status, why not bring back Md Kaif while you are at it? If an average of 27 and a SR of 73 was going to inform future Indian stars, he'd certainly feel unlucky to be jettisoned.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Below the belt. :giggle: :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: