This is why we need Rohit Sharma

DomainK

Don't we have Sachin ?
1. Sachin is an opener. He would probably be gone before realizing that the rest of the team is going to collapse. He can not play in the anchor mode all the time fearing what if the team collapses. He would play his natural aggressive game and is likely to perish sometimes. We need this batsman in the middle order, not at the top. 2. Sachin wont be playing a lot of ODIs. He would be playing select ones. We need someone more regular.

Domaink, this is the first time in recent times I've seen MSD fail, he usually does the job. I'm not complaining with Rohit but Dravid built partnerships - using some magic - I don't know but he was a master at building partnerships. And because of his extraordinary talent, he was able to lift his game to the needs of the team. He would never slow down the team (when he was at a peak) - even if he's not able to hit shots, he was able to get gaps and kept rotating strike.

Domaink' date=' this is the first time in recent times I've seen MSD fail, he usually does the job. I'm not complaining with Rohit but Dravid built partnerships - using some magic - I don't know but he was a master at building partnerships. And because of his extraordinary talent, he was able to lift his game to the needs of the team. He would never slow down the team (when he was at a peak) - even if he's not able to hit shots, he was able to get gaps and kept rotating strike.[/quote'] Yeah.....Dravid was a master in collecting singles. He could create the perfect environment in which his partner could prosper.
Yeah.....Dravid was a master in collecting singles. He could create the perfect environment in which his partner could prosper.
Yup. I remember in the 2007 matches vs. Bangladesh (after the WC), he had made some 44 runs in 46 balls, with only 1 four and Cricinfo reported on how well he can take singles and can judge those as well. Don't forget that he wasn't a super-athlete. He worked superhard at this skill. Dhoni too scored an unbeaten 50 in the CB Series without a single four but was able to maintain a strikerate of > 85. It is a skill. Simple defense will do us no good. I agree with you, and I think he ought to have spent time at home. Virat would've been lovely - but its an experience. He and the team can grow from it.
Yeah.....Dravid was a master in collecting singles. He could create the perfect environment in which his partner could prosper.
I think he holds some record for the highest no of partnership, cant quite remember which form of the game LOI/Tests or for 50/100 runs partnership, but MSD does that role pretty well coming in at 5/6

Maybe it is time to give a chance to Virat Kohli or Badri for the ODIs. One of them can adopt the role that Dravid played - the innings builder role, instead of having Nohit. Esp when we play on pitches other than flat tracks, such batsmen who can stitch partnerships together are important. Now, who that is (whether Virat or badri can fit that role?) - we can only try them out and find.

MSD is already playing that role in ODIs. Why would you want another?
Its good to have one reserve in the squad bunny. Before toss, if MSD feels the conditions can be tricky, he can include a batsman who can steady-the-ship if needed. Not always MSD can do that successfully, and there can be a spot for a more technically adept batsman than MSD. We have SRT, but on days we are not able to play him for the ODI (like today) we need another reserve in the squad.