This is why we need Rohit Sharma

DomainK

The first time I saw Rohit Sharma was during the India A, SL A, and Pak A tournament in Abu Dhabi. From then I had gotten the impression that he does not seem to fit in the modern day ODI dynamics. And after some period at the international scene, Rohit is struggling in the shorter version of the game. Sure, he has ample time to improve but at the moment players like Raina seem ahead of him. Even after watching Virat Kohli, he does not seem to be a dynamic ODI batsmen although his fielding is electrifying. Though, Virat did make some quickfire centuries in the recent one day matches in the domestics, I reckon he isnt ready from what I have observed. Having said that, I dont mind getting proven wrong. :stewie:

Yuvraj is overweight by miles. He hits the pub all night and drinks a barrell. What do you expect his condition to be? He was seen off from a pub by a bouncer in Wellington. A little push by the Punjabi lads and he was on the floor. That said he's extremely talented and I haven't seen any other cricketer hit a ball like he has but he's such a spoilt brat.
Haha, interesting story. One only needs to look at the way Yuvi chases the ball. He struggles in his running, and isnt that agile anymore while chasing in the outfield. Not sure if the knee is still troubling him, perhaps he should have got surgery while he had some time off.

Pure and simple; I want Virat Kohli instead of Rohit Sharma in our next ODI Squad. If Rohit is picked the next time we play ODIs, that'd be a shocker. Virat is a better fielder than Rohit and is in way better form than Rohit, as far as the shorter versions of the game go.

Agreed, Virat's continued exclusion is yet another black mark against the Srikkanth regime that's been making some absurd calls. The Rohit selection is truly moronic - take a guy with an EXCELLENT first class record right now (and an amazing f/c season), but very average/inconsistent one day performances, and pick him for ODIs and Twenty20s. I don't see Vijay or Rohit as ready for the level of cricket they're being picked for, and it baffles me why Srikkanth keeps picking them despite some far better contenders like Pujara and Badri on the scene.

Agreed' date=' Virat's continued exclusion is yet another black mark against the Srikkanth regime that's been making some absurd calls. [/quote'] I wouldnt say that. Apart from Murali Vijay, and maybe Balaji for NZ, I cant pinpoint to too many other 'absurd calls' that this 'regime' has been making. And even in those cases, Vijay more than distinguished himself in the only chance he got, coming in at a pressure match, opening against an Australian side. And in the case of Balaji, the selectors have picked the bowlers with the most FC wickets last season, by picking Balaji and Dhawal. How many selection committees would have ignored guys like Sreesanth, RPS and Praveen Kumar and gone for a rookie 20 year old?
The Rohit selection is truly moronic - take a guy with an EXCELLENT first class record right now (and an amazing f/c season), but very average/inconsistent one day performances, and pick him for ODIs and Twenty20s.
Actually, if anything, this was the only 'absurd call'. Rohit should have NEVER even boarded the plane to NZ. There are better contenders for the ODI and T20 spot than him and he's nowhere near the test team.
Still hanging from a rod, Shivam? You certainly talk like some prehensile creatures that can be seen doing similar stuff in zoos. Maybe they were trying to become taller as well, who knows? Anyway, if you were to pick and choose and arrive at the one solitary knock that the chap happened to play out of around 50 chances he received, confuse ODI and T-20 cricket, and basically resort to utterly nonsensical arguments in keeping with your vertically and intellectually challenged status, why not bring back Md Kaif while you are at it? If an average of 27 and a SR of 73 was going to inform future Indian stars, he'd certainly feel unlucky to be jettisoned.
You know why I love these kinds of posts? Cuz they inspire me to be relentless. And yeah, still hanging from that same rod, and still growing. 2 whole inches in 8 months, and I'm still growing strong. And tell you one thing, I have the will to keep going. It ain't stoppin from my end. So bring it Dhondy. If you can think clearly enough here, I want Sharma to be dropped too. He has underperformed for sure. But he's not a loser, and not a bottler. You see Dhondy your a coward. You take these petty little shots, and then when it comes time to face the music you go and run away. Prove he's a bottler, a choker, a loser. I'll tell you what: On a greentop against South Africa, with India 3-33 in 6 overs and the cream of the batting in the hut, it takes a real man to make a match winning score. Second, in the final of a World Cup, no not a regular ODI, a WORLD CUP, with India 130 in 18 overs, Rohit ensures the last 2 are taken for 27, to take us to a competitive score. So how's he a bottler? Everyone makes mistakes, even Sehwag, even Tendulkar. But Rohit's not a loser. Imma go hang on the bar some more now and maybe say my times tables while am at it. Gotta keep the vertical and intelligent status bar high right? It's on Dhondy.

Oh wow!! Great posts from Dhondy and Shehezaada. I absolutely loved them. Why don't you guys post more often? Shwetabh, I never said that Rohit's knock was a perfect one. In fact it was far from that. I was merely happy to find out a guy who'll not look like a fish out of water on the bouncy tracks of SA or anywhere where the oppositions present a seaming condition.

Chandan, the fact that he looks like a fish out of water on a flatbed where power hitters will belt every other ball to the fence or over it and he'll just play along the ground is unforgivable. So who cares how he looks on a more difficult track where the only other batsman in his team making runs is the freakishly talented, in-amazing-form Sehwag and everyone else is nicking it or getting bowled? Sriram, An easy 30/40 is NOT distinguishing anyone. That's typical Vijay, and what he does all the time in domestics. Starts nicely, gets out. He's incapable of pushing on for big scores as his conversion record and less-than-stellar (certainly significantly less than a few of his TN teammates) average shows, and India has no need for a player like that. Among other foolish calls by Srikkanth so far... - Rohit in ODI squad, at expense of several others - Munaf picked ahead of Sreesanth for this tour. Sure, leave out the guy with heart, pace and the ability to rip through some of the world's best batsmen in their own backyard and bundle them out under 100! - Mixing up Ravinder Jadeja with Ravi Inder for the Challengers not too long ago. Just stellar! - Constant ignorance of Pujara, Rahane and Badrinath, all outstanding performers being ignored for others like Rohit and Vijay with half their runs. - Virat Kohli left out of the ODI team despite being the premier domestic limited overs batsman right now (and one of our most consistent youth stars) - Dinesh Karthik as backup for this tour. As what? Batsman? We have several better (see above) who aren't touring. As keeper? CAN'T BLOODY CATCH.

Salil, I still think that he is going to be a very useful test player, be it anywhere. I'm not too bothered about Rohit not performing in ODIs on flat tracks as required. When our senior players retire from tests, we'll need such fellows and it is good to have noticed him that way. Meanwhile we have many who can make merry on flat beds, so we may not worry there. I hope the selectors see it that way. I also hope that the supporters too see it that way.

Salil, I still think that he is going to be a very useful test player, be it anywhere. I'm not too bothered about Rohit not performing in ODIs on flat tracks as required. When our senior players retire from tests, we'll need such fellows and it is good to have noticed him that way. Meanwhile we have many who can make merry on flat beds, so we may not worry there. I hope the selectors see it that way. I also hope that the supporters too see it that way.
He was being sarcastic there, Chandan. :dance: I think its important to keep in mind that he is very very young. And, being compared to Sachin on your first international outing after a matchwinning 50 raises your own and others' expectations on you as well. Plus, he hasn't been able to get into one-day form for quite a while. He doesn't deserve to be in the LOI squad right now. As far as test backup goes, yeah perhaps, because he has the right temperament. But not selecting Virat is a HUGE blunder on part of the selectors.

Agreed. I hope the selectors see it that way too, and the fact that Rohit's scored an excellent f/c hundred this season against Australia and twin tons in the Ranji final should stand him in good stead there. Unfortunately some supporters seem to think that if you can't belt sixes and fours on a flat track (which is something he isn't that good at), you can't bat. If ever you needed proof of how influential ODIs and Twenty20s played on roads with tiny boundaries can be...

Agreed. I hope the selectors see it that way too, and the fact that Rohit's scored an excellent f/c hundred this season against Australia and twin tons in the Ranji final should stand him in good stead there. Unfortunately some supporters seem to think that if you can't belt sixes and fours on a flat track (which is something he isn't that good at), you can't bat. If ever you needed proof of how influential ODIs and Twenty20s played on roads with tiny boundaries can be...
I don't think thats true. I've seen him play some stunning shots [yeah, no power but pure timing] that went for sixes and fours. I don't think many here saw the Australians match vs. Indians XI. That was a flat track and completely dominated the attack. Played really well. I guess he needs some time to set in and is afraid of failure right now if he goes in for his shots early.

BCCI? Decency? Um... read that statement again and laugh. Actually, one of the selectors then came out with a statement saying they actually intended to pick Ravi Inder Singh, which is as stupid as it gets. So Ravi Inder Singh, with barely any record was the intended selection, whereas youth and domestic star Ravinder Singh Jadeja was therefore not good enough for the 36 Challenger pool - and then walked into the NATIONAL TEAM a few weeks later? Funny how people who piled onto Vengsarkar and his regime so much are turning a blind eye to these idiocies.

Biggest problem with Rohit Sharma is his inability to rotate strike, he just takes up soo many dot balls it puts pressure on those around him. His first instinct is look to block and if its a really lose ball then I'll get a run. Most other batsmen will look to get runs first and if its a good ball, block it
yes absolutely rite but i reckon we need to give rohit more opportunities he is bound to fail ssumtyms but i feel he is a gem of a player and shud still be playing in the 11 instead of raina.....no probs wid raina but rohit is far better in tensed situation coz he never slogs any balll in simple words a clean striker.....:winky::nice:

raina is a SLOGGER he tries to defend but its once in a while.....rohit is far better for tests and odis than raina who is suited for t20 and sumtyms for odis but never in tests bcoz of many reasons : 1) He cannot handle Shot pitch bowling well 2) His driving is loose and many times he can hit it aerial and get out 3) He plays spinners across the line so he is not suited to play murali on a day 5 turning track....not @ all 4) He is not at all patient and plays shot very early in his innings 5) And last but not the least he is not the kind of person who will leave balls outside off coz hez mentally too AGRESSIVE

This was rohit sharma who cost us the match, u know, he took a lot of ball and did not give strike Sehwag then tried out of the box and got that took away all the momentum India had, he is not good enough to play at this level. He looks very confused, does not find, gaps, does not take singles, does not know whether to hit or not, attack or play naturally. These are the things he will have to work on. You know why Rains is doing good now because he knows whether to attack or defend. He does not go with 2 minds and thats why Dhoni backs him. I think bringing Virat Kohli will be give Us better results that he has shown in Srilanka againts murli, vaas, mendis where gambhir, sachin, dravid, ganguly, laxman struggled, Virat played comfortably in one days.