The Wisden Test XI Of 2008

come on you can't argue with a straight face that bhaji should be in team instead of murali. i would also get rid of ponting (he really has not been that good for the last three years) push up the batting order and have flintoff in the team

come on you can't argue with a straight face that bhaji should be in team instead of murali. i would also get rid of ponting (he really has not been that good for the last three years) push up the batting order and have flintoff in the team
ROFL FLINTOFF ? hahaha...this is the test team of 2008, based solely on the performance of players in 2008. Flintoff did jack sheet, and Bhajji was the highest wicket taker in the year.

Harbhajan over Murali and Mendis is a joke. And the logic that he played too few matches to be judged is fallacious and dilutes the whole purpose of having such a team. Sehwag Strauss Gambhir Sachin Sarwan Chanderpaul Dhoni Johnson Zak Steyn Mendis Somehow, whenever these people pick these elevens on form, they seem to consider that it has one of one of either Sehwag or Gambhir and cannot be both. Why not? These two are the most prolific batsmen in the world today, so why not pick both of ‘em? Strauss has been red-hot form. I think he’s scored something like 5 100s in his last 7 tests. Sarwan nearly made triple 100 and Chanders is.. well..Chanders. You cant leave him out of any test eleven.

Harbhajan over Murali and Mendis is a joke. And the logic that he played too few matches to be judged is fallacious and dilutes the whole purpose of having such a team. Sehwag Strauss Gambhir Sachin Sarwan Chanderpaul Dhoni Johnson Zak Steyn Mendis
Strauss over Smith? Seriously? And Gambhir is an opener, they can't pick players for slots that they don't play in.
Strauss over Smith? Seriously? And Gambhir is an opener' date=' they can't pick players for slots that they don't play in.[/quote'] Smith has injury concerns. And Gambhir has shown he can adapt easily to playing in different positions. Besides, there is no way you can leave this pocket dynamite out of any world test side currently. He has been in scintillating form against all opponents in diverse conditions. The only change I'd consider is Smith over Sehwag.

He got injuries because he was hit on the hands by a fast bowler. Apart from that for a Test XI, he's inspired SA to several victories last year. No way would Strauss - an above average opener at best, can be in for Smith. And no, Sehwag can't be out of the team. Are you kidding? 153* when the rest of the team folded, 201* when the rest of the team folded (apart from Gambhir's 50), 319 against the best pace attack (on a flat pitch but whatever), and was crucial in chasing the highest total in the subcontinent.

morris, that team is for 2008.. there r better players than strauss n sarwan in 2008.. Strauss averages 43 and smith was the top scorer in 2008.. and u chose strauss over him??? :omg:
Mate, that’s why I said ‘on current form’.. Strauss has scored 5 100s in the last 7 tests he has played. Whats the point choosing a team based on 2008 numbers? We’re already in April of 2009, so much has happened since then.
He got injuries because he was hit on the hands by a fast bowler. Apart from that for a Test XI' date=' he's inspired SA to several victories last year. No way would Strauss - an above average opener at best, can be in for Smith. And no, Sehwag can't be out of the team. Are you kidding? 153* when the rest of the team folded, 201* when the rest of the team folded (apart from Gambhir's 50), 319 against the best pace attack (on a flat pitch but whatever), and was crucial in chasing the highest total in the subcontinent.[/quote'] On second thoughts, if pushed, I’d drop Strauss and have Smith to open with Sehwag and have Gambhir at no.3
Mate, that’s why I said ‘on current form’.. Strauss has scored 5 100s in the last 7 tests he has played. Whats the point choosing a team based on 2008 numbers? We’re already in April of 2009, so much has happened since then.
lol.. wats the point on forming a team with players from different countries??? its jus for academic interests.. maybe strauss can get into 2009 team... but the team for 2008 has no place for strauss or sarwan..
Maybe because its a yearly lsit done for each year? Test team of 2007, 2008, 2009 and so on
Strauss has been red-hot form. I think he’s scored something like 5 100s in his last 7 tests. Sarwan nearly made triple 100 and Chanders is.. well..Chanders. You cant leave him out of any test eleven.
Strauss made his runs against the lethal pace bowling of the West Indies - err, one fast bowler, a couple of trundlers and then Gayle and Benn - and all on a bunch of flatbeds. Smith produced two of the innings of 2008; the masterful Edgbaston run-chase-guiding ton and then some brilliance in Perth to set up an amazing run chase. No contest there for me.
Strauss made his runs against the lethal pace bowling of the West Indies - err' date=' [b']one fast bowler, a couple of trundlers and then Gayle and Benn - and all on a bunch of flatbeds. Smith produced two of the innings of 2008; the masterful Edgbaston run-chase-guiding ton and then some brilliance in Perth to set up an amazing run chase. No contest there for me.
Taylor and Edwards steamed in, especially with the latter bowling at 90mph even at the end of the day. Nevertheless, the flatbeds point still stands. I'm not going to take any credit away from Strauss. He got 2 in Chennai, and 3 in WI or something to that effect - but Smith did it in much tougher conditions, and against better opponents.