Current Selection Kommittee

Talking about the Current Selection Kommitee The more I think about them, i struggle to find any positive decisions Pace spearheads R.P.Singh and Sreesanth have not featured in the Indian colour for about an year Robin Uthappa not being picked after scoring heavily in domestics Subramaniam Badrinath not been given his due yet Chateshwar Pujara not given a chance when he was in prime form Piyush Chawla was promising when he first came into the scene, he was not given an extended run Murali Kartik has been overlooked for so many years, what grudge do they have against him Also, Srikkant, we all know, is biased towards the yellow jersey, perhaps some undeserving names in recent squads The rare positives, may be Giving Murali Vijay a chance to play a test for India Pragyan Ojha, given an opportunity to showcase his talent

Pace spearheads R.P.Singh and Sreesanth have not featured in the Indian colour for about an year
They are out injured, and before that RPS was in terrible form.
Robin Uthappa not being picked after scoring heavily in domestics
He is not very consistent. There is no vacancy in the test team right now, and as far as the one day team is concerned he did not do himself any service with his below par performance in the IPL. But he is in the probables for the World Twenty20 and should make it to the final team, provided he does well in the first half of the IPL.
Subramaniam Badrinath not been given his due yet
Who do you drop in the test team to make a place for him? There is no vacancy in the one day team for a player of his style, unless india are playing on spinning tracks and Sachin is not playing for whatever reason. He did get chances under such conditions in Sri Lanka.
Chateshwar Pujara not given a chance when he was in prime form
I am sure he'll get his share of opportunities soon. Once again, its a question of who do you drop from the one day team to make place for him. Sachin, Sehwag, Dhoni, Yuvraj cannot be dropped. Suresh Raina is in wonderful form and Rohit Sharma played some fine knocks in Australia and in IPL 1 and I believe that the team decided to give him an extended run to prove himself. There is nothing wrong with that. However, if he does not turn things around quickly I believe that Uthappa, Pujara and Kohli will be vying for his position.
Piyush Chawla was promising when he first came into the scene, he was not given an extended run
I believe he has not been in very good form for the past few months. Ojha has done well in the limited opportunities he has been given and Mishra has grabbed his chance in the test arena with both hands. As far Srikkant's bias is concerned, although I agree that Balaji shoudn't have toured New Zealand, playing Murali Vijay ahead of Wasim Jaffer worked out very nicely, even though that can be called a "biased" decision. Also, if the selection committee had been biased then I think Badrinath would have got an extended run. I believe that this is the first time in many years where we are actually seeing a balanced selection committee that is picking newer guys and giving them an extended run in the team, and not unnecessarily courting controversies like the previous committees under Kiran More and Vengsarkar had become infamous for.

Very nice post there Ritwik. You have answered all the issues raised by the opening poster very well. I think this is one of the best selection committee we have had in a long time. Forget the selection decisions they have made or did not make, but the way they handled the retirements of Ganguly and Kumble was very admirable and such a break from the past.

Pace spearheads R.P.Singh and Sreesanth have not featured in the Indian colour for about an year
Now we will have colourful fast bowler Sri Sreesanth, nominally of the Kings XI Punjab but injured with a stress fracture, acting as a 'fans mentor' throughout the tournament. "I'll be mixing with the fans, interacting with them and keeping the mood alive. Of course, there'll be a lot of dancing," he says. And, for those who might recall an incident when Harbhajan Singh slapped him in last year's IPL, no crying. ----------- :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: and im not jokin.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevinpietersen/5141219/IPL-offers-learning-curve-to-Kevin-Pietersen.html :((
Also, Srikkant, we all know, is biased towards the yellow jersey, perhaps some undeserving names in recent squads
may i know who are the undeserving names in CSK team that got the chances Raina or Dhoni or Vijay or is it Balaji - i think u forgot that one Mr. Dawal Kulkarni of MI - also was in NZL squad and one Mr. Badrinath, frontrunner for test squad was not part of it And j0ker Sreesanth was injured all this while and many agree that he doesnt deserve any easy entry into the Indian team

For the thread starter I would like to ask that why would any selection committee change the squad drastically which is performing so well since the last year People got a chance last year after they performed well in the IPL .. People like Yusuf and Raina has almost made a permenant berth in the ODI team with their performance .. I am sure there will be good cricketers emerging this year too in the IPL and they will given a chance in the Indian Team In the ODI team I hardly see any place especially for batsman and in the test team there might be one spot open but anybody has to work hard and prove themselves... and regarding opportunities the Indian domestic players are earning perhaps the best in the world after the IPL started .. so it is not that they are not getting their due .. some domestic cricketers were bought by the franchisees more than even international cricketers and so they are stable enough IMO .. now they prove in the IPL and get a chance in the Indian team . thats it

Dinesh Karthik (we know how well he can keep), M Vijay (when there were more deserving candidates) and Balaji (after one decent domestic season) were all picked thanks to Srikanth's Chennai's connection. M Vijay was all right but there were other openers like Chopra or Jaffer that perhaps needed to be picked over M Vijay during the Aussie series. To Vijay's credit he did well enough but don't expect him to be a permanent member at all. As for Balaji, he's a terrific bowler but he needs to play another season of domestic cricket before he should really be considered IMO. Balaji was picked for Sri Lanka ODIs again thanks to Srikanth. Dinesh Karthik although played for a different region we all know where he comes from and his connection to Chennai. This isn't the first time either the zonal bias has been rearing its head. During GRV and Brijesh's time the likes of Dodda Ganesh, David Johnson and Suijith were picked to play for India. During Tendulkar's regime the likes of Kuruvilla, Nilesh Kulkarni were picked to play (so was the past prime Vinod Kambli). During Shivlal Yadav's time as a selector they picked Noel David, the off spinner (he was Srinath's replacement :haha:) for an overseas tour. Sameer Dighe, Das Gupta, Saba Karim are just a few of the tip of the iceberg to name a few. Indian selection comittee has never been unbiased but luckily for India right now there are about 11 terrific players that are automatic selection for the playing 11.

ok i've lost :cry_smile: but, rpsingh and sreesanth weren't injured after the ipl they picked up the injuries after playing some domestic matches and were available for selection again sreesanth suffering from stress fracture is only a recent story he was available till a month ago, when the squad for nz was picked

I can't understand the hype surrounding Murali Vijay and how is rated highly by many. To me he looks like the typical Indian opener who will come apart in alien conditions. Remember the Nagpur track had absolutely nothing in it for the fast bowlers. The ball was not deviating even a millimeter from it's trajectory.

I don't think Mr. Srikanth is showing favouritism towards CSK players. He shows it towards his own fav. players. I don't see a point in selecting whole tamil nadu team (M Vijay, Dinesh Karthik, L Balaji) except the one who really deserve a place in indian team. S. Badrinath.