The speed thread

tusha_manek00

i dont think so' date=' short pitch is an effort delivery so it has to be quick[/quote'] I bet it is the other way around.You would have seen lots of scary short pitched deliveries and batsmen ducking, but when they show the actual speed,it is around 135-140.It is the bounce which makes such deliveries appear ferocious.The bowler has used his strength to make the ball bounce, effectively reducing its speed and thus increasing bounce A yorker will be much more faster.This is just my observation.I am no expert

Speeds are measured using a Doppler radar and the line of sight angle means full length deliveries are always going to be measured faster than short pitched ones.
But short pitched ones tend to have more effort, which lessens the effect.

well the speed is measured after the ball is released from the bowlers hand...
In The IPL Max shows the speed when the ball is about to hit the ground not from the hand so you see 7-8 km/h difference.If you saw the kings 11 versus royal challengers match they showed yousuf abdullah had a hand release speed of 89.5 mph and when it hit the pitch it was at 80 mph which they were showing.

In The IPL Max shows the speed when the ball is about to hit the ground not from the hand so you see 7-8 km/h difference.If you saw the kings 11 versus royal challengers match they showed yousuf abdullah had a hand release speed of 89.5 mph and when it hit the pitch it was at 80 mph which they were showing.
I've seen a similar thing quite often throughout stations and so I think this might be how speed is always measured, but I'm not too sure.