Gentlemen: Ashes predictions here!

Gentlemen: Ashes predictions here!  

1. 1.

• Australia
    • England
    • Draw (Australia retains the urn)

So there is black and white proof, and so that in September the people who backed England can be laughed at and mocked for supporting such a pathetic unit that's going to be steamrolled once more. Stick in specific predictions (5-0, 3-1, etc) in the thread.

This time it won't be that interesting memorable as it was in 2005. the start to this whole thing is qute gobsmacking. One folly being that Ashes going to cardiff.. I don't expect that cardiff test to give out any result other then TAME/BORING/RAINY DRAW. It's going to rain in that region so hard. Where is the tradition???? Lords always host the first test. It's disappointing to see no test @ Lords. No test @ Trent Bridge?? No test @ Old Trafford. I realize England's lords record sucks @ lords when playing first test against Aus.. but damn.. anywayz, this is going to be a very tough and hard fought series between the two sides.. Clark will exploit the conditions and make sure Aus will come trumps

Where is the tradition???? Lords always host the first test. It's disappointing to see no test @ Lords.
The first test in 93 was at Old Trafford. In 97 and 01 it was at Edgbaston. Going before that - 89/85 - Leeds, 81 - Trent Bridge
No test @ Trent Bridge??
Poms are afraid of swinging conditions at Trent Bridge allowing Johnson and Clark to create epic pwnage.
No test @ Old Trafford.
Flintoff doesn't want to be seen losing and getting hammered on his home ground. :winky:
anywayz, this is going to be a very tough and hard fought series between the two sides.. Clark will exploit the conditions and make sure Aus will come trumps
My picks for standouts of the series (as I was just arguing with Shwetabh about 10 minutes ago) are Hughes and Johnson. Mitch will flay them!
My picks for standouts of the series (as I was just arguing with Shwetabh about 10 minutes ago) are Hughes and Johnson. Mitch will flay them!
O ya Mitch.. ya he would too exploit the conditions.. and even though i want the hypocrite punter to fail, i think he will definately hit a ton or 2 in this series..

Ricky Ponting is an arrogant SOB... but in all fairness he is an excellent batsman and I'm sure he'll at least have a decent series. Dunno whether he'll hit any of the heights he did 4-7 years ago when he could literally turn up at the crease and produce a big knock - but I expect he will produce some good innings. If he doesn't though... I will not be shedding any tears. The law of averages must bring Ponting down at some point as batsmen start to fade after a certain age and only the true greats (Bradman, Tendulkar, Border, Waugh to a lesser extent) find ways to keep scoring runs beyond that age. I expect Clarke to be a big impact player (Michael here)... he has matured a great deal since the last Ashes tour in England... in the series v. South Africa he showed himself capable of some harder graft than many of us thought he had in him at first - he's starting to develop steel to go with that flair of his and is maturing into a very, very good batsman. Middle order should be interesting... hopefully Symonds and Ronald McDonald will stay out of the picture and let North settle into the #6 spot. Hussey is the big question mark... a very fine player with a ton of domestic experience in England (and a fabulous county record) - hopefully his experience there and the need for him to step up in such a big series will see him come back to form.

O ya Salil, I am looking forward to watch Pup's classy stroke play.. He is a pretty elegant batsman when in flow. Last time around, he was nailed pretty beautifully by Simon Jones, but this time around, he is more matured as a batsman and would be looking pretty good against the 'son brothers(harmi and ander) and swann I hope would get beating here and there, with poms calling Panesar back in the middle of the ashes.

Hussey is the big question mark... a very fine player with a ton of domestic experience in England (and a fabulous county record) - hopefully his experience there and the need for him to step up in such a big series will see him come back to form.
He will be coming back after big rest... I am sure he would hit a double ton in England. Too good a batsman to continue failing the way he has been against South africa..

Shehezaada: He didn't have a great series last time, true... but that fifty he smashed before a very untimely dismissal in the first dig at Edgbaston was wonderful - just some electric strokeplay (and one of the brightest knocks I've seen before a dismissal that was totally against the grain of play - that was really when the game began to turn). And the hundred at Old Trafford was an absolutely superb knock. Literally an over my dead body type of innings, the sort of defiance that made one think he had been watching a few tapes of Border and Waugh stand up to fine attacks in the days of weaker batting lineups. Then again I don't see the need for him to reproduce such an innings this time... this edition he should have a lot more support around him with more pieces falling into place. Hughes is a quality player and a man who I suspect will dominate many attacks around the world bar India's and maybe SL (Zaheer, baap of most left handers these days, ought to be his one real nemesis the next time India/Aus clash... if not Ishant ought to cause him serious problems). Clarke is a much finer batsman than what he was when he last toured England - more mature, more determined and hungry and not as impetuous... and I have my fingers crossed for Hussey to regain form and Katich to retain his and make up for his struggles in 2005. England on the other have have regressed so much since their last Ashes... contrasting lineups back then the only real improvement has been in Pietersen, who is a far more dangerous batsman now, and in the spin department as ANYONE is a better spinner than Ashley Giles - except maybe Nathan Hauritz! Bell is still too soft and lacks real hunger... Vaughan is old and struggling in the county circuit right now, Shah lacks consistency and Bopara is being touted as the next #3 based on the XII picked for WI. Strauss is still the same bat he was back then, but with a lesser opening partner... unless Cook gets fed a lot on his pads (Calling Bung Lee to dish out the crap!), I don't see him doing that much. I suspect there will be a lot of moments when England look across to Taunton and mourn for Trescothick.

england will be the favourites after 2005 ashes at home but its true that both england and aussie are weaker than b4 especially aussies after maggi,gilly,haydos,langer,martyn,WARNE retiring so its an even contest but i d go for england just coz of their home advantage otherwise its pretty close call nobody could say whats gonna happen between holland and scotland....just the same way this prediction is almost impossible...:hysterical:

I suspect there will be a lot of moments when England look across to Taunton and mourn for Trescothick.
One of the best of this decade from England. He would be missed by England big time. Btw Salil, what would be your Ideal english bowling line up???? If I were to pick, i would call back Hoggard and Simon Jones. So for the first test we could have - Hoggard, Jones, Anderson and Swann/Panesar

Simon Jones is a big question mark, Ticz. Do note that he is not playing for Glamorgan right now... http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/399701.html - he had another surgery done on his knee and is out likely for another couple of months. I will be very surprised if England rush back a guy with such a fragile body and so many injury issues... just WEEKS after rehab from surgery and plant him into the test squad. Hoggard has been doing OK in the counties... not that great, and the recent selection move indicates they're looking to younger blood. Check my other thread to see England's next test squad. Onions and Bresnan named in there, am sure the selectors would rather try those and look forward rather than backward for the Ashes. Bowling lineup - if I was an English selector - would be Broad, Sidebottom (home series, remember... he will be very useful at Leeds, Lord's and Cardiff in particular), Anderson, Flintoff and Swann. Panesar should not play a part until the Oval, or unless pitches are really turning. Logic would indicate that England should prepare spinning wickets for the series and play 3 seamers (incl. Flintoff) and two spinners each game to exploit Australia v. spin (and their lack of a spinner)... but this is England we are talking about; a team who if they have a gun and a bullet will aim at their foot.