Cricket's changing face - Symonds is the new Akram

The Outsider

Those of us who watched the '92 WC final will never forget the consecutive deliveries with which Akram took out Lamb and Lewis to change the course of the final - though many do not remember that Akram had also taken the crucial wicket of Botham in his opening spell and had earlier produced a cameo with the bat to take Pakistan to a very strong 250 runs. The game was there for England to take away when Akram running down round the wicket got one to move away from Lamb and took his off stump and off the next ball got one to jab back in to knock over Lewis' middle stump. The not so famous dismissal of Botham had also come round the wicket, with a ball that moved away and clipped his outside edge. Bangalore seemed to have the match wrapped up yesterday when Taylor and Kohli were at the crease when Symonds produced some brilliance which in the modern annals of T20 will rank alongside the match turning deliveries of Akram - a long hop which was mistimed by Taylor to fineleg and a wide down the leg side on which Kohli overstepped to be stumped. Successive deliveries, consecutive wickets, match turning efforts - too bad the skill levels were so different that Symonds was able to replicate Akram's magic without the skill and jaw dropping implementation of it. Wonder if Symonds wonder over will be talked about 20 years later like Akram's is today?

it will not be.the fact that Akram's feat is still talked about tells us how skilful that was..Symonds's feat will not be remembered beyond an year,simply coz everyone knew it was RCB who threw it away rather then DC changing the face of the game.

20 years down the line there will only be 5 world cup tournaments while we will have 20 IPL tournaments. Thats what sets the WC apart from the other tournaments. The four year wait builds up the hunger and excitement for the trophy and the performances will be the one to remember.

I don't think so... Akram did all by himself, and those two balls were the best he ever bowled according to some pundits, in fact recently there was an article on that in cricinfo. In case of Symonds, Taylor's wicket was a give away and Symonds had little part to play in that. I am not sure if he or Gilly planned Kohli's dismissal.That was fluke but an excellent take by Gilly nevertheless. So I don't think Symonds had a major part to play in any of the dismissals and it wouldn't be remembered just for the skill set. For me the turning point of the match was none of these but the wicket of Boucher. We have seen many a time, Boucher finishing crunch games like that but yesterday wasn't his day.

Symonds managed to get in a bit of luck in a format that's basically a lottery with some skill. Akram was a world class bowler who produced some real magic with skill of the highest order and amazing control over an old ball. Poles apart. Next question; will people remember either of those Yuvraj hattricks the way McGrath's against the West Indies or Harbhajan's against Australia are remembered?

He's not serious. Read that post carefully. "too bad the skill levels were so different that Symonds was able to replicate Akram's magic without the skill and jaw dropping implementation of it. Wonder if Symonds wonder over will be talked about 20 years later like Akram's is today?" One thing w/ Twenty20s that I'll also add in is that with the lottery nature of it, the lack of time players really have to make a serious impact over an innings or spell... we may see plenty of 'entertaining' games with close finishes, but a lot fewer truly epic performances like that Akram spell that people will keep remembering and waxing enthusiastic about years down the line. Things like Tendulkar's twin hundreds at Sharjah, the Centurion assault on the Pakis, those two deliveries from Akram, Jadeja's assault on Waqar, Jayasuriya's murderous rampage in Delhi in 96 or pretty much the whole of THAT semi final in the WC - will be etched into the memories of pretty much any fan who watched those games, and I'm sure even 20 years down the line people will remember moments like Tendulkar systematically dismantling Shoaib and co. in 03, or singlehandedly lifting and inspiring India to beat Australia in Sharjah. Can that be said for much of what we'll see and have seen in T20s?

He's not serious. Read that post carefully. "too bad the skill levels were so different that Symonds was able to replicate Akram's magic without the skill and jaw dropping implementation of it. Wonder if Symonds wonder over will be talked about 20 years later like Akram's is today?" One thing w/ Twenty20s that I'll also add in is that with the lottery nature of it, the lack of time players really have to make a serious impact over an innings or spell... we may see plenty of 'entertaining' games with close finishes, but a lot fewer truly epic performances like that Akram spell that people will keep remembering and waxing enthusiastic about years down the line. Things like Tendulkar's twin hundreds at Sharjah, the Centurion assault on the Pakis, those two deliveries from Akram, Jadeja's assault on Waqar, Jayasuriya's murderous rampage in Delhi in 96 or pretty much the whole of THAT semi final in the WC - will be etched into the memories of pretty much any fan who watched those games, and I'm sure even 20 years down the line people will remember moments like Tendulkar systematically dismantling Shoaib and co. in 03, or singlehandedly lifting and inspiring India to beat Australia in Sharjah. Can that be said for much of what we'll see and have seen in T20s?
yup, missed that. sorry prof!