Best thriller novels of all time - recommend new novels to read

DomainK

I believe you have read the GodFather novels .. those are not detective but still I like those Rest I like Sidney Sheldon too... Nowadays I dont read much novels and not sure about any recent ones
No, I havent. But I have seen the movies.

no particular order- 1)the relic-preston and child 2)the girl with the dragon tattoo-stiegg larrson(must read) 3)Dune-Frank herbert(Sci-fi) 4)the stand-stephen king 5)the foundation trilogy-Isaac asimov 6)A Fire Upon The Deep -Vernon vinge(not for everyone)

My favorite airport/airline readings are Grisham, Archer, Ludlum, Forsyth, and Le Carre. Odessa File, The Night Manager, Our Game, Single and Single, A Small Town in Germany, The Day of the Jackal, The Afghan, Bourne series, Client, Pelican Brief, The Brethren, Honour Among Thieves are particularly good ones from the above authors. But my absolute favorite thriller is A Matter of Honour by Archer. Dan Brown's books are pretty pacy as well.

Sherlock Holmes in The Hound of the Baskervilles :woot: :dontknow: Stuff we read at school like Agatha Christie's works?
I must have read Hound of the Baskervilles at least 10 times since childhood. Love that novel.:dance:

My favorite airport/airline readings are Grisham, Archer, Ludlum, Forsyth, and Le Carre. Odessa File, The Night Manager, Our Game, Single and Single, A Small Town in Germany, The Day of the Jackal, The Afghan, Bourne series, Client, Pelican Brief, The Brethren, Honour Among Thieves are particularly good ones from the above authors. But my absolute favorite thriller is A Matter of Honour by Archer. Dan Brown's books are pretty pacy as well.
Thanks. I have read some of them. Will look for the others.

Agree with most of those reccos from Prof. I love Archer - one of my favourite writers, and he's got a lot of great stuff out there. Prisoner of Birth, Honour Among Thieves, Not a Penny More/Not a Penny Less, Kane and Abel and most of his short story collections are worth grabbing. And an old classic - The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas is always phenomenal reading.

Big man of Mario Puzo...The Godfather is obviously outstanding but The Sicilian is just brilliant. Hated the ending but see if you like it. The movie didn't turn out well either but as a book it's fantastic. Also a bit long but worth every goddamn word is The Last Don. Great story, and good movie as well. If I had to rank my favorites it would be 1) The Godfather tie with The Sicilian 2) The Last Don 3) Omerta 4) The Fourth K 5) The fortunate pilgrim (not a thriller) also i wanna read Shawshenk Redemption after watching the movie.

Ah yes The Fourth K is also quite awesome. Also liked Fools Die quite a bit (although not that much of a 'thriller'). The Family's also a pretty interesting book - again not a thriller, but a historical fiction book based around Machiavelli and the Borgia family in the Renaissance.

Agree with most of those reccos from Prof. I love Archer - one of my favourite writers, and he's got a lot of great stuff out there. Prisoner of Birth, Honour Among Thieves, Not a Penny More/Not a Penny Less, Kane and Abel and most of his short story collections are worth grabbing. And an old classic - The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas is always phenomenal reading.
Seconded on the Count of Monte Cristo. An absolutely terrific piece of work. Love Dumas' writing. 3 Musketeers, this one, 20 yrs after - all awesome books.

Gotta love Ludlum and Forsythe. You'd have already read Dan Brown. I'm just repeating Prof's post. :| Here are some others that were an overnight read for me: Harry Potter - VI and VII :D The Footprints of God - Greg Iles 01-01-00 - RJ Pineiro When I was younger I went through the whole Agatha Christie series - nice afternoon hammock reads. Something similar to Christie is Father Brown.

Ah yes The Fourth K is also quite awesome. Also liked Fools Die quite a bit (although not that much of a 'thriller'). The Family's also a pretty interesting book - again not a thriller, but a historical fiction book based around Machiavelli and the Borgia family in the Renaissance.
I read the family when I was real young...bout 5 years ago when I was 15, maybe it's time for a re read as I didn't like it so much. The crazy thing about the Fourth K was that I read it after 9/11, and if you compare the two...it's pretty similar. Haven't read Fools Die because some fool lost it at the local library. By the way, for people that like funny books, there's a Canadian guy named Gordon Korman who rights awesome ones. My favorites would be Semester In the life of a garbage bag, I Want to go home, and Son of Interflux. For sports, Playing For Keeps...an AWESOME biography of the greatest athlete of all time, Michael Jordan, by David Halberstam. Since i'm real cheap I'm gonna go to Chapters to read The Last Season by Phil Jackson, but gonna have to order The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith.