Is cricket ruined by IPL?

vvvslaxman

24guc0j.pngSource 0,5001,6641440,00.jpgGilchrist ... celebrates taking out this year's IPl title with teammates. AP Is cricket being ruined by the advent of the Indian Premier League? By staff writers May 25, 2009 This week we are giving you the chance to have your say on the IPL and whether or not it is ruining cricket with the advent of the game and the big pay cheques? The Adjudicator had this to say: "India is not ruining cricket with the IPL. It is changing the face of it, but not ruining it. In the same way Kerry Packer revolutionised the sport with World Series Cricket in the 1970s, the IPL and Twenty20 cricket is advancing the game to cater for a 21st century audience. Twenty-over cricket is not everybody's cup of tea, and it does nothing for me, but for the sport to flourish in a competitive entertainment market - and entertainment is precisely how professional sport must be regarded - cricket must embrace change." The Statman gets fired up: "These days the IPL is perhaps the biggest thing in cricket since Mr Packer's flying circus of the 1970s – and it attracts its fair share of critics. This will ruin cricket, they say - they're wrong! There is the tired old argument that "India is running (and ruining) the game". In many instances the game has survived despite its administration, not because of it. The IPL is one of the biggest opportunities the game of cricket has ever had. Some would say the IPL and Twenty20 cricket in general is the key to attracting a whole new generation, and breed, of fans to the game and is the key to the game's expansion - both in the sport's established markets and new countries. It also gives the opportunity for players from all over the world to play alongside each other. Just ask Graeme Smith how much he learned from playing alongside Shane Warne in the initial IPL comp. The opportunities the IPL gives us on so many levels are too great to be ignored, or dismissed, and will be crucial to the survival of the game of cricket in the 21st Century." Fox Sports commentator Brendan Julian agrees, the IPL is here to stay: "I don’t think it is ruining cricket. I think the administrators need to work with the IPL. The West Indies board need to work with their international players and schedule their Test matches well in advance so when it comes to someone like Chris Gayle and his decision to play in the IPL they don't an issue. If players are not well not compensated from their home board then that is going to put pressure on their decision to play in other forms of cricket. IPL is here to stay and a window at least needs to be carved out for the future tours program. Administrators from each country also need to work with the IPL, not against it because at the end of the day money will always be an undeniable factor for the players." But, in the end we really want to know what you think. If you agree or disagree let us know by emailing us at yoursay@foxsports.com.au. Also, if you can think of another issue in sport that you feel the need to vent about, let us hear all about it at yoursay@foxsports.com.au. We have let the cat out of the bag… we just need your help to keep the ball rolling.

:yawn2: anyways good to see that an aussie is supporting IPL in the article
They tried their best to be dismissive. But i think they cannot ignore IPL with all the Aussies developing here. Watson, SR Marsh are few names that spring to mind.

Its natural that IPL and T20 will be criticized. The purists always resist change (I also love test cricket, but I welcome IPL as well). But guess what, change is inevitable. The game will not remain as it is (nothing does) forever. It will evolve and will take its own course. IPL is a landmark change. Call it good, call it bad, its here and welcome it or not, its here to stay.

I don't mind an edition of IPL each year but I wonder how long will it be before other cricket boards venture into similar feat? One reason why ICC should not allow a window for IPL is because if they do now, they will have to do that in future as well when other boards come up with similar tourney. When will there be time left for Bi-Lateral series then? Also IPL should not dilute the current competition by introducing a second IPL and/or Champions trophy. The players then will be playing for different clubs each year. That almost sounds insane. IPL has been great and creative. ICC has been the opposite. I think it is time for ICC to do something to promote test cricket. They should come up with a competitive format in which every test result is going to count otherwise teams will play for draw just to win a test series (Like Rahul Dravid did against England, Dhoni did against NZ, WI did against England in WI). Unless the teams are going to put in effort to win every test match there is no chance test cricket is going to draw crowd. They also possibly need to change the format so that the test matches aren't stalled. Perhaps there needs to be a limit on number of overs that can be played in the first innings or something like that.There definitely needs to be done something to preserve test cricket.

They have to have tier system. There should be a drive for teams to be in the top tier. Average teams like West Indies/NZ/Pakistan (if possible ban Pakistan. Useless fellas) belong to tier 2. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe tier 3. India/SA/Australia/England/SL tier 1.