Vid Request: Rhodes Catches

http://content.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/404571.html A wicketkeeper might be lucky enough to receive three or four "regulation" catches in the course of an innings, but any more than that will inevitably include a couple of classic grabs. For an outfielder to take five catches in an innings involves a skill so special, it remains a unique record almost a decade and a half after Jonty Rhodes set it. Having displayed his talent to the world 18 months earlier at the 1992 World Cup by running out Inzamam-ul-Haq with a horizontal dive from backward point, Rhodes' reputation as a fielder had burgeoned. But unlike batting and bowling records, there was no yardstick by which fielders could be measured. Hosts of competent slipsmen had taken three or four catches before, and brilliant point fielders like Colin Bland never had their run-outs and saved runs officially credited or recorded. Rhodes changed all that at the Brabourne Stadium. Brian Lara began the show by splicing a pull shot harmlessly into the air barely five yards away towards square leg. The Rhodes sprint from backward point was so committed that, having clutched the ball, he landed and slid so far on his belly, he ended up close to the shocked batsman's feet. Phil Simmons was looking ominous when Rhodes dived to his left at short midwicket to take an "impossible", one-handed catch. Jimmy Adams then clipped Pat Symcox to Rhodes at midwicket, before Anderson Cummins fell to a catch that was not so much impossible as absurd. A slashed cut shot against Allan Donald was flying towards third man when Rhodes leapt skyward, twisting backwards as he did so, and stuck out his right hand to take the catch behind the rest of his body. Opener Desmond Haynes, having retired hurt earlier in the innings, returned to provide South Africa's young talisman a regulation offering to end the innings. The record catch may not have been special, but the moment was as magical as they come. :pray:

Here you go... The video contains only two catches by him, will try to find out the rest. [ame=

- Jonthy show[/ame] Watch out for Shane Thompson, the Kiwi, back then he was one of my fav cricketers. The mid 90s was the time they played some quality cricket...memories.
Here you go... The video contains only two catches by him, will try to find out the rest.
Watch out for Shane Thompson, the Kiwi, back then he was one of my fav cricketers. The mid 90s was the time they played some quality cricket...memories.
Rhodes played cricket not long ago but the video quality used to be so pathetic in those days as evident in this videos.. I never saw such a pathetic quality video .. bhai is the actual transmisson so poor :hmmm:
While searching for J.Rhodes, I found these assortment of catches: Look at the shock and disbelief in SRT's face (0:50) when he sees the fielder (who? :dontknow:) pull off that catch.
adam bacher as was pointed out earlier... in that game, tendulkar and azhar had orchestrated a fightback of sorts with a 200 run partnership after being down at 55-5 at one stage. furthermore, after azhar left, tendulkar kept blitzing away without any signs of fatigue or even misjudgment. in my opinion, that 160odd was tendulkar's finest test innings till date.
adam bacher as was pointed out earlier... in that game, tendulkar and azhar had orchestrated a fightback of sorts with a 200 run partnership after being down at 55-5 at one stage. furthermore, after azhar left, tendulkar kept blitzing away without any signs of fatigue or even misjudgment. in my opinion, that 160odd was tendulkar's finest test innings till date.
Agree. Azhar was terrific on that day. His five fours off Zulu stands out... one of the best sessions of test cricket that I have ever seen.
adam bacher as was pointed out earlier... in that game' date=' tendulkar and azhar had orchestrated a fightback of sorts with a 200 run partnership after being down at 55-5 at one stage. furthermore, after azhar left, tendulkar kept blitzing away without any signs of fatigue or even misjudgment. in my opinion, that 160odd was tendulkar's finest test innings till date.
:nono: it was 57/5 B->

For me Mark Waugh is a better fielder than Jonty. Waugh was more complete fielder whereas Jonty stood in quite a few positions in his entire career. If you thought Waugh can't fly like Jonty, then watch out for 1.10 in the below video, that was against NZ. fnKcrTYin2M

169 If that catch had been a six it would have been 175