Selection Question

Ram

I dont think so. India has one of the worst stats in T20 opening - very average economy rate wise' date=' and the main reason being a high number of wickets in the powerplay overs. Guess who should be responsible for it . Yes .. virendar sehwag[/quote'] The obvious assumption I make here is that Sehwag comes off. And there's no reason why he shouldnt. He has had lukewarm success so far in T20, but he can turn it around.
I dont think so. India has one of the worst stats in T20 opening - very average economy rate wise' date=' and the main reason being a high number of wickets in the powerplay overs. Guess who should be responsible for it . Yes .. virendar sehwag[/quote'] all i know is that last T20 WorldCup, Veeru singlehandedly won us the matches and took us to the Finals... so no need to degrade Sehwag

Though i don't like this move is there a chance Bhajji could make way for Sehwag since Yusuf can be used as 5th bowler? Line up will be Sehwag Gambhir Rohit Raina Yuvraj Dhoni Yusuf Irfan/Harbhajan Ojha Zak Ishant Problem is there are sometimes you won't need this many batsmen.

Though i don't like this move is there a chance Bhajji could make way for Sehwag since Yusuf can be used as 5th bowler? Line up will be Sehwag Gambhir Rohit Raina Yuvraj Dhoni Yusuf Irfan/Harbhajan Ojha Zak Ishant Problem is there are sometimes you won't need this many batsmen.
bhai-do you really think dhoni will drop bhajji in a world cup match?

I think it has to be one of the spinners. We cant have only 2 pace bowlers on English wickets. Sehwag himself is a handy spinner so I think either Bhajji or Ojha will have to go. To those that want to drop Irfan Pathan, fine but it shouldnt be for Sehwag ... it should be for another paceman (maybe Praveen)

Personally' date=' I would drop Irfan. His contribution today was 11 runs and giving away 10 runs in the 2nd over of the match with a six off his first ball. I can't think how reliable he will be. I'd say drop him.[/quote'] ++++ he is crap bowler. period
Simple really' date=' Replace Yusuf with Sehwag. Sometimes you neeed to make hard decisions. [b']Yusuf still has to prove as an effective batsman in T20 internationals.
for that, he needs to get opportunitiess first... coming to bat at #7 in last 2-3 overs is not a way to judge some1s talent
Cant be Yusuf man, coz dropping him will compromise two things - Our Batting depth and hitting power. And T20 success founded on these two. Irfan at no.7 is too high for him. That makes our no.s 8 to 11 really weak spots in our batting order.
bhajji can bat @ no.8 so yusuf or irfan any one has to go unlucky for them but u cant play with somebody else when sehwag is fit and eager to go he can one handedly change the course of the match hes a big matchwinner for india like yuvraj....yusuf may just be the unlucky one to go out :((

I guess there are 3 candidates presently sehwag can replace. Yusuf , irfan and bhajji. So its a 4 way competetion between these and sehwag. Lets do a swot analysis of the same. Some facts. 1) Rohit and raina can bowl in place of harbhajan but will probably go for an extra 7 - 8 runs from those 4 overs. These two guys are probably as good with the ball as some of the lesser spinners in world cricket such as van der merwe / nathan mccullum / swann / benn. Plus they have an intelligent head on their shoulders. But they dont have the height to beat batsmen with bounce. 2) Yusuf pathan's darts can be useful in the powerplay overs. No one else can bowl those except probably harbhajan. Did bhajji bowl inside the powerplays in IPL ? 3) Yusuf pathan isnt a good slogger against pace , but an excellent slogger against spin. Irfan pathan is a good slogger against pace too (though not THAT good against spin as yusuf). Since the death overs are mostly pace he is handy there (he made 11 in the last 3 balls of our innings against bangla). 4)On swinging pitches irfan can bowl swinging yorkers. He can get an over or two at the death too , though shall mostly be expensive. 5) Sehwag is a fail in T20 bowling. Yuvraj may be a bit of a wicket taking option but cant keep it tidy. 6) Whoever among the three sehwag replaces, it shall only strengthen the batting lineup. With all these points in place , i think that sehwag should replace harbhajan unless harbhajan too displays an ability to bowl good overs inside the powerplays similar to yusuf. If that is the case , sehwag should replace yusuf. With bhajji out of the team , we may expect to give an extra 8 - 10 runs against teams that play spinners well , but sehwag should be able to compensate that in the batting. Though it is a bit risky if sehwag fails to provide a start someday. The only other option i can see is sehwag replacing gambhir , and dhoni performing gambhir's role (which is the only role he seems capable of now).