Indians still cannot play the short ball...

I'm hardly qualified to speak, but whenever I get a short ball on off stump and wider, my first instinct is to slash at it to take the ball over point. The pull is a natural reaction to a beamer or a ball in direct line with my body. You kinda get in awkward positions pulling an off-stump ball and invariably sky it. Raina got out in that fashion :((
Raina is a mid-wicket man thats why He has to improve his off side play and against the bouncers.

so much so for people in this forum who said speed doesnot matter.....we were bombarded with 145k bouncers on lively pitch....we returned them with 138K(max) dipply dopplers.....with a quicker attack we might have won both the games.....time to bring in some quick bowlers.....by the way does any one know why our fast bowlers manage to drop their pace by 10ks after the 1st season on international scene when most other bowlers increase their pace..... when will indian learn to play bouncers...though in these 2 matches it was the pace of the bowlers and the lively wicket which caught them anawares.....remember these people have scored runs in vb series in australia in 2008 and the 2007 t 20 world cup....bt this time they were under prepared read this article....shows just how people try to drag you down after one slip up... http://www.cricinfo.com/wt202009/content/current/story/409019.html

Rubbish sterotpye. Yes we can. Won our last test series in England. Enough said. Brilliant in oz tours. Won last 20/20 World Cup in SA on bouncy tracks. Its all bull. One player Raina gets out to pull and we cant play short ball. All form and stats over last few years goes against this pants sterotype. If sehwag had been there he would have uppercutted them for 6 and Sachin would have ramped them and uppercutted them for 6 as well. Most of the posters on this forum sound like mini versions of Nasser Hussain, who never won a test series against India despite his so called bull theories

Rubbish sterotpye. Yes we can. Won our last test series in England. Enough said. Brilliant in oz tours. Won last 20/20 World Cup in SA on bouncy tracks. Its all bull. One player Raina gets out to pull and we cant play short ball. All form and stats over last few years goes against this pants sterotype. If sehwag had been there he would have uppercutted them for 6 and Sachin would have ramped them and uppercutted them for 6 as well. Most of the posters on this forum sound like mini versions of Nasser Hussain, who never won a test series against India despite his so called bull theories
agree.....but for all those tours it seems we were mentally and physically prepared to play the short ball.....here it seems we were not...it just proves...we are not natural players of short stuff we must work hard to be good againist it.....the moment we leave the hard work...we are bombarded down with bouncers when are we playing england next????we will give naseer hussain and his team something to think then....this the 1st match they won against us in 2 years....btw we really missed viru

hey guys this team is still relatively young!! i say learn from their mistakes and work on the weak points and Dhoni (as much as he has p*ssed me off!) i'm hoping will take this into consideration for future games!! specially now that the rest of the cricket world has "short ball"a point to pick on with India!!

it has opened up the technique of the indians the golden plase of team india might be over now, all teams will target us with firey short pitched stuff we'll be getting out pulling and hooking
we have atleast learned to pull and hook...few years ago we used to get out fending the short stuff the english still cant play spin....they are confused whther to sweep or reverse sweep or defend or use their feet or just get out
it has opened up the technique of the indians the golden plase of team india might be over now, all teams will target us with firey short pitched stuff we'll be getting out pulling and hooking
Wrong we will duck them. In 20/20s have to pull and hook due to run rate. In tests just let them sail by. Good thing you guys were not aussie slectors as the carrer of S Waugh would have halted due to his earlier woes against short stuff

Its all about judgement of length. If you look at some of the best players of short pitched bowling, they dont just try to pull or cut anything short. Sometimes they just simply work the single and try to get off strike. Also, there is nothing wrong with just simply swaying out of the way if you dont read it early (obviously you cant do that every ball). There are several ways to improve against short-pitched bowling: * Practice with a tennis ball on a hard surface such as concrete - This is one of the methods Laxman uses before he tours Australia, and well we all know the results. * Bowling machines - Im sure they already use these, but yeah playing against a bowling machine can be a great way to fix up technique and sharpen up footwork. Matthew Hayden is a strong advocate of using bowling machines. * Throw downs (with a proper cricket ball) - This helps because it forces batsmen to stay on top of the ball, and again sharpens up footwork. * Net practice - ask bowlers like Ishant and Munaf to throw in short-pitched deliveries now and then, during their spells. Both are tall bowlers who can extract extra bounce and test the Indian batsmen. * Outside bowlers - teams frequently get local teams to come and train with them. Last time India came to Sydney, they asked a Sydney grade team to come and train with them in the nets. Getting a few of their pacemen to bowl some short pitched stuff would help because for the Indian batsman, they would have never seen these bowlers before and dont know how they bowl. * Requesting more warm-up games on foreign tours - particularly in England, South Africa and Australia where the pitches are bouncier. Gives batsmen time to adjust to the different conditions. Im sure India are already doing some of these things, but they arent doing all of them (esp. the last point). If they do these, along with the help of their coach Gary Kirsten, I'm sure the young team will improve against short pitched bowling. It all depends on their attitude though. Its alot more difficult to improve against quality spin than it is against quality pace (lateral movement aside).

always true, except for legends like Gavaskar, Mohinder Amarnath, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and a few other rare legends. Sehwag will have his own style of play to counter it as well. The rest can go fall at the feet of these greats, and hope something comes into them. The pitches in India need to be spruced up so domestic cricketwallas get to face short bowling early on. Again this has been said right from the 1980s and 90s. Ganguly was hopeless against short pitched, and so were pretty much most of the Indian team across decades.
I feel like laughging at some of comments here,2 Years of winning in evry part of the world on faster pitches and quicker pitches is forgotten by a loss in 2 t20,If you are forgetting some thing youtube is always there, just ignore t20 cricket as it is always a lottery,the same pullshots might have gone over the keepers head and english captain would have had to answer,fact is india lost every close games,guys do not feel bad as noting is wrong with the team its just the format.

^ There is no doubt we have improved against short-pitched bowling and on bouncier tracks in the longer-format. Its not a fair comparison to bring in Gavaskar and Amarnath into the equation because theyve never played a game like T20. Gavaskar might have really struggled against short pitched bowling had he been peppered with it in a situation where u have to score at 8 an over. However, India were found out against short-pitched bowling in this format this series and thats something we can not deny and must work on. Remember, cricket is one of those sports where its not too hard to lose a skill that you once possessed (e.g. Dhoni, Irfan Pathan, etc) and just because our boys have done well against short-pitched bowling in the past doest mean that they will necessarily do well against it in the future. They need to be constantly working on it because our domestic pitches do not allow us to churn out batsman who are naturally good against quicker bowling like the Aussies and the Saffies can.

Guest Gunner

Have any of you seen Mohinder Amarnath bat or even Sandip patil for that matter? I cna name more footage for you to see G.R. Viswanath, Sunny Gavaskar, Krish Srikkanth et al. I don't know what you all are on about here. There are others earlier than that such as Lala Amarnath, Vijay Merchant. Don't learn your history through tabloids and TV commentaries.

i sort of agree with dsr but we still need to know how to score against the rising ball in t20s.the key is judgement and not pulling everyball.
Well that Luke Wright also needs a lot of work as he got bounced out and looked uncomfortable against short ball. In fact that proves that England cant play the short ball, as their horror record in oz and their bouncy tracks shows this. While we clealry can play the short ball as shown by our good record in oz over last few years.
Guest Gunner

Nasser Hussain himself was not all that great a batsman. He was found out by the ozzies again and again. If I remember right he barely averaged 40 in test cricket.