Indians still cannot play the short ball...

always true, except for legends like Gavaskar, Mohinder Amarnath, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and a few other rare legends. Sehwag will have his own style of play to counter it as well. The rest can go fall at the feet of these greats, and hope something comes into them. The pitches in India need to be spruced up so domestic cricketwallas get to face short bowling early on. Again this has been said right from the 1980s and 90s. Ganguly was hopeless against short pitched, and so were pretty much most of the Indian team across decades.

always true, except for legends like Gavaskar, Mohinder Amarnath, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and a few other rare legends.
Laxman??? You have got to be kidding. Do you remember how Brett Lee was troubling him with short deliveries? MSD is one of the best players of short pitched bowling (a bit of a compulsive puller but he has the best pull shot among Indians).

Short pitched stuffs Okay. We were bounced out comprehensively. Not once. But twice. What are we going to do about it. This is T20 you can't duck your way against short pitched stuffs. You will end up conceding maidens. It is a definite concern Indian team has to address. Batsmen get into awful positions to play hook or pull instead of getting inside the line. Raina's first intent is to go on the frontfoot then twist his body all around and endup making it as difficult as possible to get on top of the bounce. They rarely get inside the line of the ball. They just stand and try to play hook shot. It was ugly and embarrassing to watch. More than the loss, the below par batting against bouncing balls left me sour. I can take the loss. It is T20. You could lose to any half decent side. Hope Gary Kirsten addresses this issue.

Guest Gunner
Okay. We were bounced out comprehensively. Not once. But twice. What are we going to do about it. This is T20 you can't duck your way against short pitched stuffs. You will end up conceding maidens. It is a definite concern Indian team has to address. Batsmen get into awful positions to play hook or pull instead of getting inside the line. Raina's first intent is to go on the frontfoot then twist his body all around and endup making it as difficult as possible to get on top of the bounce. They rarely get inside the line of the ball. They just stand and try to play hook shot. It was ugly and embarrassing to watch. More than the loss, the below par batting against bouncing balls left me sour. I can take the loss. It is T20. You could lose to any half decent side. Hope Gary Kirsten addresses this issue.
Please address your concerns here: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=161219 :--D:--D:--D

this is a serious concern not just in t20s but also in ODIs.fast bowlers are like a dog with a bone on string with this thing-they will keep trying until they know it wont work.it might not work in the sub-continent but you can bet your ass it will work everywhere else.

I don't know why they try and pull balls outside off-stump.
Very unprepared they were. So pathetic.
Why don't they cut it?
Exactly what one Mr. Virender Sehwag would have done. Bounce me on offstump line, you are going to be cut over point or even over slips for a boundary.
I don't know why they try and pull balls outside off-stump. Why don't they cut it?
That is the difference between class batsmen (Sehwag/Tendulakr) and wanna be class batsmen. I don't blame Rohit and Gambhir. They played against their nature. But Raina is the biggest culprit.

I'm hardly qualified to speak, but whenever I get a short ball on off stump and wider, my first instinct is to slash at it to take the ball over point. The pull is a natural reaction to a beamer or a ball in direct line with my body. You kinda get in awkward positions pulling an off-stump ball and invariably sky it. Raina got out in that fashion :((

I'm hardly qualified to speak, but whenever I get a short ball on off stump and wider, my first instinct is to slash at it to take the ball over point. The pull is a natural reaction to a beamer or a ball in direct line with my body. You kinda get in awkward positions pulling an off-stump ball and invariably sky it. Raina got out in that fashion :((
Not just Raina. In the past, you have seen many Indian batsmen perish that way - Gambhir, probably Yusuf Pathan too. They are just unprepared to quickly select the shot for a bouncer coming in quickly.
Not just Raina. In the past' date=' you have seen many Indian batsmen perish that way - Gambhir, probably Yusuf Pathan too. [b']They are just unprepared to quickly select the shot for a bouncer coming in quickly.
Which is why it makes me wonder. Maybe it is just a natural reaction for an unpolished batter like me to cut bouncers outside/on off.

We were thrown off by it in the WI game, but we (the players) should've expected this from ball one in the England game. Maybe they did? :dontknow: You can't really improve overnight for these kinds of stuff. The pitches have a lot to do with it. Take them back to India and ask these idjets (hi finey :hello:) to bowl short, Raina & co. will smash them. It's time to go back and start thinking long and hard how each of them should play/defend the short ball. 50% of it is a mental block. Raina got some short balls in the IPL (during the beginning) when he easily pulled or cut them away. He got out a few times with the pull, and then all of a sudden all the n00bs said he sucked against short pitch bowling, and he said to himself that he sucks too :(( The only one with a major problem is Raina. Rohit got out a couple times trying to pull (i believe), but he isn't that bad. Same with Gambhir. Damn, Sehwag would've smashed them long and hard if they bowled short :hitler:

Which is why it makes me wonder. Maybe it is just a natural reaction for an unpolished batter like me to cut bouncers outside/on off.
:headshake: All bouncers HAVE to be pulled/hooked to the leg side. that's what they teach you (in gully cricket with no off side) :P I think Raina/Gambhir tried to play some cuts, but the missed. But yeah, not sure why Raina & Rohit tried to pull the balls that were outside off. Raina's was there to be slashed over Point. He played that shot well during the IPL.