India against relocating matches | Neutral venues ruled out for 2011 World Cup

Feed

England choose to share it with Netherlands and Ireland. Whether they did or not would have made no difference to the success of their bid. IIRC, it was already agreed in 1996 that England will get the next world cup. What I am trying to stress is that BCCI has no real base or strong/valid reason to insist where Pakistan should hold their matches. If it is not the matter of money, it may just to show PCB who is the boss. Also I am not saying that I want to see some matches in Dubai, just that the reasons suggested to prevent it are lame.
As a member of ICC and as it directly concerns then, it can. You dont want it in UAE, neither do i, neither do the BCCI. But if ICC decides to put it to a vote and decide that it is going to hold the WC in BCCI, only then i would say that the BCCI have to shut up and accept it. Till then, it can give out opinions regarding a matter than directly concerns them.
English language papers' date=' like Dawn. I find that Dawn covers a lot more of hard news than say, [b']TOI or Hindustan Times. Of course, I am not saying that any of the Pakistani papers are at the level of something like The Hindu.
Just do not put Hindustan Times in the category of TOI. HT is far far far... better in TOI and I can go as far as saying that the coverage of this T20 WC has been better in HT than Hindu, as I read both the papers in the morning.

Undoubtedly HT's sports coverage is excellent with people like Kadambari Murali and Pradeep Magazine writing for it. However, the main news component is very weak, and focuses unduly IMO on "human interest" stories. I've noticed a serious decline in HT's standards ever since Vir Sanghvi was kicked up as "editorial director" and Chaitanya Kalbag became editor in chief.

World Cup talks break down, says Pakistan Talks over Pakistan's right to host matches in the 2011 cricket World Cup in Asia have broken down, the Pakistan Cricket Board said. More... Pakistan resume legal battle as World Cup talks fail 20 Jun 2009, 1857 hrs IST, AFP LONDON: Pakistan cricket chiefs said on Saturday that they will restart legal proceedings against the International Cricket Council after talks over hosting World Cup matches in 2011 broke down. "The PCB sought the support of its fellow Asian co-hosts for matches to be played under the aegis of the PCB in a safe neutral venue," the Pakistan Cricket Board said in a statement here. "Despite the fact that these discussions had been helpfully and constructively brokered by the ICC president David Morgan and vice president Sharad Pawar, no progress was made. "This will mean that organizational issues surrounding the 2011 World Cup remain unresolved and that the legal proceedings the PCB has brought against the ICC in Dubai and in Lahore will continue," the statement added. The PCB's response came after a meeting of officials from the four co-hosts - India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh - here at Lord's on Saturday on the sidelines of the World Twenty20 tournament. Pakistan had served legal notices on the ICC after being stripped of hosting rights in the wake of the militant attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore on March 3 and the deteriorating security situation in the volatile nation. The ICC clarified earlier this week that while Pakistan were removed as a host location, the country remained a co-host and expected a final decision soon. It meant Pakistan would still get a hosting fee of $750,000 per match from the ICC, a total of 10.5 million dollars for the 14 games, irrespective of where they were held. With matches in Pakistan ruled out, the PCB were in talks with the ICC and the other co-hosts to organise their share of 14 matches at neutral venues like the United Arab Emirates. The meeting on Saturday followed talks between the ICC and the four co-hosts earlier in the week to "settle misunderstandings," in the words of ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat. The ICC had also said that the other three host nations had agreed to forego hosting fees for the 14 extra matches allotted to them that were originally due to be held in Pakistan. Pakistan had put legal proceedings on hold till the matter was resolved, but have now decided to go ahead with the cases following disagreement between the co-hosts. There was no immediate reaction from the ICC on the PCB's decision to resume its legal battle. The contentious issue is expected to be discussed at the ICC's annual meetings at Lord's from June 22-26. The ICC has ruled out switching the 2011 World Cup to Australia and New Zealand, the designated hosts of the 2015 event.

Although I am no fan of Pakistan' date=' read some real Pakistani papers, unfortunately they can put some of the biggest Indian papers to shame.[/quote'] Which one specifically are you talking about ? I have been reading them for as long as Internet existed -- granted some like Dawn have become more liberal over time, but majority still SUCK and SUCK BIG TIME! Bottom line they report on Warped Ideas and Twisted thoughts that have grown up learning. Let me just present you two examples 1) How many Paki newspapers/newschannels have agreed that Mumbai Attackers were/are from Pakistan? Even the ones like Dawn that did un-earth the mystery of Kasabs village and his family, did not have the balls to follow it up and report on it and eventually most Pakis think that is still an Indian Consiparacy. Tell me which Indian Newspaper is this bad ? 2) How many Paki newspapers have un-earthed Dawood Ibrahim and his cohorts -- who apparetnly still roams around on the streets on Karachi ? Which Indian newspapers did not report or defend that Major Purohit -- who was involved in the Train Blast? Did they try to hide? Heck even now every single newspaper takes Modi for a beating for his alleged involvement in the Gujarat Riots. Now I am not saying there are immature reports in Indian Newspapers, and yes they have to raise their standards -- but when it comes to reporting major news with substantiated facts -- it would be blasphemous to even compare Paki Newspapers to any other country -- let alone India.

Mamu, you've not understood the point of my post. I request you to stop asking for explanations for specific events. I can provide a thousand counter examples questioning the integrity of the Indian press on issues like Kashmir. But that would just turn into a mud slinging match. I meant solely in terms of FOCUS on news, newspapers like Dawn are better than HT. Simply because Dawn carries more hard news than HT ever does. The English language pakistani press [which is the one we are concerned with in this debate], by and large, has stood on the right side of history, when it comes to supporting democracy, human rights etc. Thus, they have often tried to hold the officialdom responsible for its actions. Given that they have to operate under much greater restrictions than the indian press, that is a commendable achievement. Indian press is probably more liberal, I grant you that, but I find it disgusting that in a country with as much news potential as India, all they (usually) come up with are formulaic reports, bullshit film reviews and third rate editorials.

Mamu, you've not understood the point of my post. I request you to stop asking for explanations for specific events. I can provide a thousand counter examples questioning the integrity of the Indian press on issues like Kashmir. But that would just turn into a mud slinging match. I meant solely in terms of FOCUS on news, newspapers like Dawn are better than HT. Simply because Dawn carries more hard news than HT ever does. The English language pakistani press [which is the one we are concerned with in this debate], by and large, has stood on the right side of history, when it comes to supporting democracy, human rights etc. Thus, they have often tried to hold the officialdom responsible for its actions. Given that they have to operate under much greater restrictions than the indian press, that is a commendable achievement. Indian press is probably more liberal, I grant you that, but I find it disgusting that in a country with as much news potential as India, all they (usually) come up with are formulaic reports, bullshit film reviews and third rate editorials.
WHat utter ignorant nonsense is that?? Oh my god ! This is shocking to say the least. Let me ask you this? How long have you been reading Pakistani Newspapers? I have been reading them for as long as Internet existed. The best thing I can tell about them is -- ONLY Dawn has moved from being a Right Wing Fundamental Press Garbage to somewhat Neutral and that too in the last couple of years and the big reason for that is the Fundamentalism, Radicalism and Terrorism that they have Cultivated, Cultured and Nurtured and 200% supported by press has come back to bite their rear end so bad -- at least their media is beginning to realize that supporting the above is not the way forward. Just the fact that atleast Dawn now-a-days -- calls the Terrorists in Kashmir a "Terrorist" is a BIG Change. 10 years ago they were called "Freedom Fighters" They have rarely been on the Right Side of History. They have rarely acknowledged Grotesque Mistakes that Pakistan has commited over the last 60 years. If anything there has been a tacit acknowledgement and that too of late only. What the Pakistani People say, know and talk about everything in general is a BIG reflection of the Paki Press (yes even the educated) -- who supposedely read English Press Media as you will probably acknowledge that Press Goes a long way in shaping the minds of the people. But your statements are utterly shocking to say the least !

I think you should calm down a bit and properly read what I have to say. Who the hell is discussing the legacy of the pakistani press over the last 60 years, or even "since internet existed" ? Let me go back to what I said:

Although I am no fan of Pakistan, read some real Pakistani papers, unfortunately they can put some of the biggest Indian papers to shame.
To spell it out for you, this means that TODAY, in 2009, I think that pakistani newspapers like Dawn have a better "news sense" [editorial policy, if you will] than some of the biggest Indian papers, for example, TOI. If you extrapolate my comments to mean something that they weren't intended to, then that's your problem. As far as general ignorance and fundamentalism amongst the common people of Pakistan, I think you can hardly lay most of the blame at the press' doorstep -- have you seen any Pakistani textbooks and the utter garbage they propound? In such a scenario I reiterate that I find the English language press the last remaining democratic institution in that country. And as far as the issue of nomenclature [terrorists/freedom fighters etc] goes, that's a different debate which we can go into in the politics forum, if you wish.
I think you should calm down a bit and properly read what I have to say. Who the hell is discussing the legacy of the pakistani press over the last 60 years, or even "since internet existed" ? Let me go back to what I said: To spell it out for you, this means that TODAY, in 2009, I think that pakistani newspapers like Dawn have a better "news sense" [editorial policy, if you will] than some of the biggest Indian papers, for example, TOI. If you extrapolate my comments to mean something that they weren't intended to, then that's your problem. As far as general ignorance and fundamentalism amongst the common people of Pakistan, I think you can hardly lay most of the blame at the press' doorstep -- have you seen any Pakistani textbooks and the utter garbage they propound? In such a scenario I reiterate that I find the English language press the last remaining democratic institution in that country. And as far as the issue of nomenclature [terrorists/freedom fighters etc] goes, that's a different debate which we can go into in the politics forum, if you wish.
OK -- so you pick up Dawn's Editorial Policy (whatever that means according to you) and "News Sense" -- which is nothing but your own interpretation -- in the Last 6 Months and compare it to TOI which has existed more than 100 years and nowithstanding all its shortcomings is pretty widely read --- and conclude that TOI should be shameful. Allrighty Then ! As far as the average ignorance of Pakis is concerned -- Press is more responsible for the mind set and day to day thinking of an average adult. An average educated adult picks up a newspaper everyday and reads it and gets his news from it. Again going back to The Mumbai Terror Attacks (which happened within the last 6 months) -- while Dawn kept silent -- which completely sent a wrong signal to the Pakis -- and it also used words "Alleged" and stuff -- saying even it doubts the veracity of the whole incident and who did it -- which was ridiculous. What I never saw in any english newspaper was who put his foot down and said -- "Yes the guys involved in 26/11 were none other than Pakis" -- which is what is pissing me off. And reporting news like this (or non-reporting) is what shapes the mind of an average adult. To me the news should be Free Fair and Factual -- everything else comes after that.
I think you should calm down a bit and properly read what I have to say. Who the hell is discussing the legacy of the pakistani press over the last 60 years, or even "since internet existed" ? Let me go back to what I said: To spell it out for you, this means that TODAY, in 2009, I think that pakistani newspapers like Dawn have a better "news sense" [editorial policy, if you will] than some of the biggest Indian papers, for example, TOI. If you extrapolate my comments to mean something that they weren't intended to, then that's your problem. As far as general ignorance and fundamentalism amongst the common people of Pakistan, I think you can hardly lay most of the blame at the press' doorstep -- have you seen any Pakistani textbooks and the utter garbage they propound? In such a scenario I reiterate that I find the English language press the last remaining democratic institution in that country. And as far as the issue of nomenclature [terrorists/freedom fighters etc] goes, that's a different debate which we can go into in the politics forum, if you wish.
You are saying absolute BS on a limited sample of crap that you have seen