The Mendis Slayer

Eighty-four runs of 77 deliveries in a series where the rest appeared to be playing hand grenades. How does he do it? That's Virender Sehwag of course. The rest of the world can make Mendis look like some sort of demon with his quirky variations, but Sehwag has unmasked this circus artist for what he is- an overhyped jack of all deliveries. Never been dismissed by him in 3 Tests. Over the same period, he got Laxman no less than 5 times and Dravid on 4 occasions. For goodness sake, will batsmen stop watching his fingers do party tricks and start playing him on merit? How do you treat a 60 mph medium pacer who moves the ball both ways off the pitch? The answer, as Sehwag will tell you, is that you hit him with a very high backlift without any half measures to the furthest reaches of the ground. You need an unclouded mind for that. Crap bowler. Sehwag's shown him up. Can anybody else? The three other batsmen who could do that to him, and who treated his partner in crime, the other trickster Murali, with utter contempt in his backyard- Lara, Hayden & Fleming are all retired. Where have all the great batsmen gone?
We are seeing it again

Dhondy, what made you come up with the conclusion that this guy is going to bomb in the long run? I consider myself a half decent cricket follower and always thought that with his accuracy he would become one of the bowling greats of the future... and his abject failure has led me searching for answers. Care to enlighten the poor souls? Action, delivery stride, or just not enough bottle for the top level? :adore:

^ You are not alone. I too thought this guy would go on to become a 300+ test wicket bowler, given the no. of deliveries he had up his sleeve, without a significant change in action. After all it takes a lot to fox the likes of Laxman, Dravid & co, who have grown up playing spinners of all kinds. Amazing how Mendis withered away the moment Sehwag started attacking him. Veeru absolutely terrorised him in Mumbai. I guess as Murali said in his interview, there is a huge learning curve ahead of him. Perhaps he saw so much success early on, he never had to be patient to buy wickets ? The guy seems to alter his length so quickly the moment batsmen start attacking him. With Vaas retired, Murali & Jayasuriya about to call it quits, it certainly does not augur well for SL. That said, Dhondy seems to have a special eye for talent though. I remember him spotting Aamer way back in the T20 world cup, as a talent to look out for, when most of us did not take Aamer seriously.

I consider myself a half decent cricket follower and always thought that with his accuracy he would become one of the bowling greats of the future... and his abject failure has led me searching for answers. Care to enlighten the poor souls? Action' date=' delivery stride, or just not enough bottle for the top [/quote'] The main thing that I can think of is the lack of a decent stock ball. None of his deliveries in isolation can really beat a decent batsman. He will still probably become a quality odi bowler though..