Umpire review system to be fully implemented from October

The umpire review system will be rolled out in Test cricket from October this year and umpires will have greater scope to decide on bad-light interruptions after the ICC adopted several recommendations from its cricket committee. The potential for a day-night Test in 2010 was also discussed at the ICC's meetings in Lord's this week, as was harsher penalties for slow over rates. It was expected that the umpire review system would be introduced permanently following trials over the past year. This week's gatherings, including the ICC Chief Executives' Committee meeting on Monday and Tuesday, and the first day of the ICC board meeting on Wednesday, confirmed the development. It was also agreed that day-night cricket would be explored further, with the potential for a day-night Test in 2010, if such issues as developing an appropriate ball and trialing it at first-class level could be resolved. Finding a suitable coloured ball remains one of the major stumbling blocks and Australia are keen to test several prototypes during a mock match, possibly during the 2009-10 summer. The meetings also determined that play should only be suspended for bad light when umpires decided conditions were unreasonable or dangerous, rather than "unsuitable", as is currently the case. The umpires are expected to make that call on their own instead of offering the light to the batsmen. Fines for slow over-rates will be doubled and a captain of a team guilty of three over-rate fines in the same format in a rolling 12-month period will be automatically suspended for one match. Match officials will also be encouraged to be more diligent in enforcing the playing conditions to minimise delays due to such interruptions as unscheduled drinks breaks. The development of a new Future Tours Programme was also discussed. The ICC board meeting continues on Thursday, when the members will discuss, among other things, the 2011 World Cup. http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/410404.html

i am dissapointed.it was a terrible system n killed so much time for unnecessary interruptions.Test cricket is already loosing popularity n this will make it more boring n draw people away from Test cricket.atleast they could have made some changes.like using Hotspot,n if the 3rd umpire cant make his mind in 1 min,the decision of on'field umpire stands

i am dissapointed.it was a terrible system n killed so much time for unnecessary interruptions.Test cricket is already loosing popularity n this will make it more boring n draw people away from Test cricket.atleast they could have made some changes.like using Hotspot' date='n if the 3rd umpire cant make his mind in 1 min,the decision of on'field umpire stands[/quote'] hmm-i thought more game changing **** ups by umpires are turning people off test matches.i dont care how long they take-just get the decision right.
hmm-i thought more game changing **** ups by umpires are turning people off test matches.i dont care how long they take-just get the decision right.
well that may or may not change.Remember wat happened to Chanderpaul in WI?anyway they hay have to find a faster n more effective way of doing this.we cant have desperate teams going for ridiculous lbws n then referring with only hope n holding up play for 3-4 minutes for an obvious decision
well that may or may not change.Remember wat happened to Chanderpaul in WI?anyway they hay have to find a faster n more effective way of doing this.we cant have desperate teams going for ridiculous lbws n then referring with only hope n holding up play for 3-4 minutes for an obvious decision
That's why they have 3 strikes or is it 4. Wrong referrals and its a strike. Captains would be very cautious of using the referrals unless its Kumble. :P You are giving one example of Chanderpaul I can give you many examples of eff ups without referrals which changed the course of a match.

C'mon purists, the game evolves with time and one has to take some measures to minimize stupidity in the games. Umpires have made serious blunders too frequently and have led to this change. This will bring the bias (yes, it exists) down. At least teams are not going to complain that there was bias.

C'mon purists' date=' the game evolves with time and one has to take some measures to minimize stupidity in the games. Umpires have made serious blunders too frequently and have led to this change. This will bring the bias (yes, it exists) down.[b'] At least teams are not going to complain that there was bias.
eggactly. If they don't have any referrals for an all important decision its the captains fault and he has to put up with it.

I still don't understand why Kumble gets castigated for using the referral system in SL. The plain facts were that SL bowlers were creating more chances than ours and it is only logical that their appeals would be more successful. In fact, one of the major screw ups of the system was made by Jayawardene in the series when he twice referred leg befores against Tendulkar off Murali upstairs and finished all his chances with only 3 Indian wickets down. Too bad our batsmen were not good enough to exploit it.

That's why they have 3 strikes or is it 4. Wrong referrals and its a strike. Captains would be very cautious of using the referrals unless its Kumble. :P You are giving one example of Chanderpaul I can give you many examples of eff ups without referrals which changed the course of a match.
its 2 appeals per innings but still it means 16 appeals per test match .if ever apeal takes 2 mins,thats a good half hour gone,n i'm only talking about wrong ones,if they r rite it will increase. n i think captains will use it strategically more than to get correct decisions.imagine if the tail has got stuck with 2 referrals still remaining,the captain will use it for every lbw appeal n waste time.or if a top batsman is there,the captains will use it more against him than others. wen i give the example of Chanderpaul i dont wanna say that dont use technology,by all means use it.but make it more reliable n more transparent.n make it more faster
C'mon purists' date=' the game evolves with time and one has to take some measures to minimize stupidity in the games. Umpires have made serious blunders too frequently and have led to this change. This will bring the bias (yes, it exists) down. At least teams are not going to complain that there was bias.[/quote'] Domaink,i'm not against use of technology.obviously its intended to get more decisions right.but i'm asking for better use of it.i 'm asking to get players out of it.use a system which takes less time n is more efficient in getting right decisions
Domaink' date='i'm not against use of technology.obviously its intended to get more decisions right.but i'm asking for better use of it.i 'm asking to get players out of it.use a system which takes less time n is more efficient in getting right decisions[/quote'] you think the referrals will work if they keep the players out of it?.you think Bucknor would have called for referrals on the ptich?.i dont think any umpire would call for the review at all-they need to be a prerogative of captains and players-not umpires.
you think the referrals will work if they keep the players out of it?.you think Bucknor would have called for referrals on the ptich?.i dont think any umpire would call for the review at all-they need to be a prerogative of captains and players-not umpires.
why not?if they r unsure they will surely refer it like they do with runouts.n if they still make without reffering with an obvious mistake which could be caught with naked eye or first replay.3rd umpire should be empowered to hold that decision make sure after seeing replays n then give his decision