Ricky Ponting's performance in the opening test of a series

[Take 2 for this thread. If people think this 'doesn't affect them' or aren't sure what this contributes or have nothing intelligent/sensible to say, just look up your screen and find that back button. So this doesn't go in the direction of other derailed threads, any off-topic nonsense will be deleted.] Like him or hate him, it's hard to deny that Ponting brings his A-game to the start of a series more often than not! Since the 2005 Ashes, these are the test series Ponting has played in. These have been his scores in the opening test of each series (ignoring the one-off 'SuperTest' where he did well with 100 runs in the 2 innings): v. West Indies at Brisbane, 2005: 149 and 104* v. South Africa at Perth, 2005: 71 and 53 v. South Africa at Cape Town, 2006: 75 and 1 v. Bangladesh in Fatullah, 2006: 23 and 118* v. England in Brisbane, 2006: 196 and 60* v. Sri Lanka in Brisbane, 2007: 56 v. India in Melbourne, 2007: 4 and 3 v. West Indies in Kingston, 2008: 158 and 5 v. India in Bangalore, 2008: 123 and 17 v. New Zealand in Brisbane, 2008: 4 and 17 v. South Africa in Perth, 2008: 0 and 32 v. South Africa in Jo'burg, 2009: 83 and 25 v. England at Cardiff this week: 150 Amazing record. In those 13 'opening' tests of series, he's scored 7 centuries and a bunch more fifties; the only really notable failures against significant opposition were at Melbourne against India and at Perth against South Africa. The rest of the time his leadership by example with the bat has been amazing - he's one of those players who can be counted on to really make a significant contribution to hit the opposition hard the moment a series starts.

Interesting thread, I'd be surprised if there was another player out there who has a record as good as that in the opening game of a series. Also I can see why some people think he is arrogant, but I think it's more that he's confident than arrogant, he gives out praise when it's necessary. Some people make him out to be a bad guy or something, it's ridiculous really. Just cause Australia have been successful, I don't mean to sound like a toss but to me it seems as though it's jealousy that makes others think that we're arrogant. Good thread mate.

Guest Shivani
Interesting thread, I'd be surprised if there was another player out there who has a record as good as that in the opening game of a series. Also I can see why some people think he is arrogant, but I think it's more that he's confident than arrogant, he gives out praise when it's necessary. Some people make him out to be a bad guy or something, it's ridiculous really. Just cause Australia have been successful, I don't mean to sound like a toss but to me it seems as though it's jealousy that makes others think that we're arrogant. Good thread mate.
:nono: No JEALOUSY we have SRT to make others jealous of us ... i wouldn't say he's arrogant exactly but whatever it is, is definitely more than confidence which IS a little rude

Ponting is a phenomenal batsman and there is plenty of evidence for that. He may not have the ideal technique and balance as Tendulkar does. But how many runs he's scored is rather amazing. 11,000 runs starting nearly 6 years after Tendulkar did, and is only a 1000+ runs away from him. He's had an excellent decade so far, notwithstanding the relative loss of form since the India series. Along with Dravid, he's the batsman who has scored the most runs this decade till now. And he's scored the majority of them as captain. The way he led with the bat in the 2006-07 Ashes was terrific. As a captain on the field, he might be unimaginative and rather limited. But as a batsman who has to lead the team, there have been very few times in his career when he's failed to set an example. The stats above are supportive of this. 120-odd at Bangalore in the first test, for me, is the best of all of the above considering his stats in India prior to that innings - some 12 runs? Whether it was help from Greg Chappell or not, he wanted to do well in India given that this was the first time he'd play in all 4 tests, and he did just that. As The Outsider said, I don't think he likes staying on 0 for too long when he begins his innings. He has to play a few shots to let himself know that he's comfortable on the wicket. He was pulling the deliveries quite early in his innings yesterday too. I think he'll enjoy his last Ashes series in England.

Top observation. The first innings often sets the tone for the rest of the series, as Sehwag showed at Multan. It also shows how much preparation Ponting puts in going into a series. Hit the ground running and before you know it, the opposition are already playing catch up. Isn't that the Australian way?

The stats above are supportive of this. 120-odd at Bangalore in the first test, for me, is the best of all of the above considering his stats in India prior to that innings - some 12 runs? Whether it was help from Greg Chappell or not, he wanted to do well in India given that this was the first time he'd play in all 4 tests, and he did just that.
That was a top knock though Bangalore was more like an Aussie wicket than an Indian one. There wasn't much happening for the spinners throughout the match and even the cracks that developed on the wicket later on were more Perth like than Chennai like. BTW, Greg Chappell joined the Australian team after the Bangalore test. :giggle:
Top observation. The first innings often sets the tone for the rest of the series' date=' as Sehwag showed at Multan. It also shows how much preparation Ponting puts in going into a series. Hit the ground running and before you know it, the opposition are already playing catch up. Isn't that the Australian way?[/quote'] Yes. Preparation and readiness is key. Hit the ground running is one of the key areas the Indian team needs to improve upon when it tours. But, then BCCI also needs to be faulted for not negotiating and organizing enough warmup matches with quality A teams on away tours. @OP: Pwnting is an a$* and I wish him many single digit scores going forward, but grudgingly we need to admit he is definitely a legend batsman.
That was a top knock though Bangalore was more like an Aussie wicket than an Indian one. There wasn't much happening for the spinners throughout the match and even the cracks that developed on the wicket later on were more Perth like than Chennai like.
Perhaps it was not Kolkata, Mumbai, or Chennai. But given his overall failure in India, it was a top knock nonetheless.
BTW, Greg Chappell joined the Australian team after the Bangalore test. :giggle:
I was not aware of this. I thought they were at the RCA before the tour matches, and were already with Chappell.