New UK ID card hacked in 12 minutes

Sachinism

New ID cards are supposed to be 'unforgeable' - but it took our expert 12 minutes to clone one, and programme it with false data The newspaper hired computer expert Adam Laurie to test the security that protects the information embedded in the chip on the card. Using a Nokia mobile phone and a laptop computer, Laurie was able to copy the data on a card that is being issued to foreign nationals in minutes. He then created a cloned card, and with help from another technology expert, changed all the data on the new card. This included the physical details of the bearer, name, fingerprints and other information. He then rewrote data on the card, reversing the bearer's status from "not entitled to benefits" to "entitled to benefits". He then added fresh content that would be visible to any police officer or security official who scanned the card, saying, "I am a terrorist - shoot on sight." Daily Mail article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204641/New-ID-cards-supposed-unforgeable--took-expert-12-minutes-clone-programme-false-data.html# This is extremely worrying, as these aren't voluntary. What a failed country Britain has become

For some odd reason, the UK seems more keen than any other Western nation in implementing these ID/profiling schemes. A little while ago, there was this news piece about this ‘smart’ passport, which one can use to travel through airport security (all you have to do is swipe the passport against a machine and walk through a facial recognition system. The system will automatically generate an image of your face, match it with the previously stored image in the passport and if both of them match, you can just walk right through) UK is also one of the most ‘watched’ nations in the world. There are more CC TV cameras there, than most other nations in the world. There seem to be speed cameras once every 10m in highways. I assume it should be quite a constricting feeling living there, knowing that almost all the time, wherever you are, there is some camera or the other pointing in your direction. All this is excellent for preventing crime and dealing with illegal immigration, but very bad for individual privacy.

For some odd reason, the UK seems more keen than any other Western nation in implementing these ID/profiling schemes. A little while ago, there was this news piece about this ‘smart’ passport, which one can use to travel through airport security (all you have to do is swipe the passport against a machine and walk through a facial recognition system. The system will automatically generate an image of your face, match it with the previously stored image in the passport and if both of them match, you can just walk right through) UK is also one of the most ‘watched’ nations in the world. There are more CC TV cameras there, than most other nations in the world. There seem to be speed cameras once every 10m in highways. I assume it should be quite a constricting feeling living there, knowing that almost all the time, wherever you are, there is some camera or the other pointing in your direction. All this is excellent for preventing crime and dealing with illegal immigration, but very bad for individual privacy.
you are right, this is a 'big brother' nation.

For some odd reason' date=' the UK seems more keen than any other Western nation in implementing these ID/profiling schemes. A little while ago, [i']there was this news piece about this ‘smart’ passport, which one can use to travel through airport security (all you have to do is swipe the passport against a machine and walk through a facial recognition system. The system will automatically generate an image of your face, match it with the previously stored image in the passport and if both of them match, you can just walk right through) UK is also one of the most ‘watched’ nations in the world. There are more CC TV cameras there, than most other nations in the world. There seem to be speed cameras once every 10m in highways. I assume it should be quite a constricting feeling living there, knowing that almost all the time, wherever you are, there is some camera or the other pointing in your direction. All this is excellent for preventing crime and dealing with illegal immigration, but very bad for individual privacy.
We use it in Aus .. Its pretty cool but I need to make sure that no one (desi customs) stamps the middle page as it has a chip inside.