Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge

Bumper

NZ is the only recent team which has beaten the Aussies by a big margin and has lost everytime by small margins. Saffies will be toast in the semis and Lanka will be r@ped if they reach the finals. Heres hoping for a Aus-NZ finals. There is nothing in the finals to hope for. Its an Aussie win, but it shouldnt an easy win, i want them to fight for it.

Re: Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge IMO the only team that can beat Australia is RSA. I know they've looked shaky but I feel that they will start to peak now. Ntini will come to the party. They will destroy England tomorrow and bludgeon their way to the final.

Re: Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge NZ would be humbled by Australia. The Bond factor is what makes them a threat though, but the two teams can't be matched on current form. Australia are playing the kind of cricket which is on another level and NZ don't have what it takes to make it a contest - especially if they aren't allowed to chase.

Re: Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge I agree NZ is the only team that can make Aussies sweat. They(Kiwis) have the best captain right now and have the only fast bowler in the world that makes Aussies sweat(11 LOI matches, 34 wickets@13.8 :doh::doh: ). Not to mention Kiwi players baying for Aussie blood due to the rivalry. NZ shall make a very fancied underdogs against Australia.

Re: Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge Aussies bound to have bad day.. In 2003 they had two bad days one against England and One against Newzealand..But both team could not captialize on it.. I am hoping Aussies beat Kiwis badly in prelims and than Aussies have bad day...with top order gone quickly and untested lower order struggling.

Re: Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge NZ has the best chance against the Aussies. Simply because NZ plays Aussies often and usually does their home work prior any game. Also NZ never mentally gets bogged down by the presence of an Aussie. Any sport played against the Aussies is played with that much more enthusiasm and vigor. The players in fact relish playing and winning against Australia. Make no mistake although there are no stars in the NZ team barring Bondy the likes of Fleming, McMillan, Oram, Vettori, McCullum are very tough cricketers and can all chip in more often. It takes a team to beat the Aussies and NZ plays best as a team. Every player in NZ including the likes of Hamish Marshall, Franklin, M Gillespie et al have won a game against Australia in a crunch situation over the years. They know how to cope against Aussies under pressure. My money was always on NZ but when I mentioned NZ will get to semis and also has a chance of winning the Finals I was shot down mercilessly here. I predicted this way before NZ won the three games against the Aussies in a row at home. Just think about this, chasing over 300 thrice in a row against the Aussies is not something you would like to sweep under the carpet.

Re: Only NZ can offer Aussies a challenge

NZ would be humbled by Australia. The Bond factor is what makes them a threat though' date=' but the two teams can't be matched on current form. Australia are playing the kind of cricket which is on another level and NZ don't have what it takes to make it a contest - especially if they aren't allowed to chase.[/quote'] I don't know what form you are referring to Pred, NZ is in one of the best ODI form ever :doh: Most players are in great form. I'm surprised you think NZ cannot be matched against the Aussies on current form. NZ has lost only one game in the WC. All the players are in good form. There is not one player in NZ that has struggled recently. In fact McCullum, McMillan, Styris, Oram, Vettori, Bondy, Fulton, Flem and the rest are in the best form of their life.

NZ would be humbled by Australia. The Bond factor is what makes them a threat though' date=' but the two teams can't be matched on current form. Australia are playing the kind of cricket which is on another level and NZ don't have what it takes to make it a contest - especially if they aren't allowed to chase.[/quote'] I don't know what form you are referring to Pred, NZ is in one of the best ODI form ever :doh: Most players are in great form. I'm surprised you think NZ cannot be matched against the Aussies on current form. NZ has lost only one game in the WC. All the players are in good form. There is not one player in NZ that has struggled recently. In fact McCullum, McMillan, Styris, Oram, Vettori, Bondy, Fulton, Flem and the rest are in the best form of their life.
but NZ has lost one game.. whereas Aus havent even pushed to the wall yet.. they are winning it very easily so far.. IMO, if Aus bats first and NZ chases then NZ has good chance (like those 3 games in NZ).. but if Aus is chasing forget it..

...trust me Ravi, when push comes to shove - that is when you see the boys separated from the men. These Australians can raise their game like none other, and when they do - no team can match them. Especially a blood and guts, all effort side like NZ. They could be on form, high on morale, but the Australians are ruthless enough to beat them in a knockout match. The only Kiwi they will truly fear (and target) is Bond - who has a stellar record against them. They will brush the rest aside.

...trust me Ravi' date=' when push comes to shove - that is when you see the boys separated from the men. These Australians can raise their game like none other, and when they do - no team can match them. Especially a blood and guts, all effort side like NZ. They could be on form, high on morale, but the Australians are ruthless enough to beat them in a knockout match. The only Kiwi they will truly fear (and target) is Bond - who has a stellar record against them. They will brush the rest aside.[/quote'] Sorry mate I don't believe that. More often than not the Aussies have either been beaten or have run too close against the Kiwis. Every player is a match winner in NZ team against the Aussies in particular. You really need to understand the psyche of a kiwi player to understand the zeal in which they play against the Aussies. Do this, check out the scores since 2001 and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Aussies aren't above Kiwis but just suggesting it is not as easy as you are brushing the contest away. Never does an Aussie in any sport take a Kiwi opponent lightly. I think you will be surprised if you check out the scores since 70s. The games run way closer than you think.

...trust me Ravi' date=' when push comes to shove - that is when you see the boys separated from the men. These Australians can raise their game like none other, and when they do - no team can match them. Especially a blood and guts, all effort side like NZ. They could be on form, high on morale, but the Australians are ruthless enough to beat them in a knockout match. The only Kiwi they will truly fear (and target) is Bond - who has a stellar record against them. They will brush the rest aside.[/quote'] Sorry mate I don't believe that. More often than not the Aussies have either been beaten or have run too close against the Kiwis. Every player is a match winner in NZ team against the Aussies in particular. You really need to understand the psyche of a kiwi player to understand the zeal in which they play against the Aussies. Do this, check out the scores since 2001 and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Aussies are above Kiwis but just suggesting it is not as easy as you are brushing the contest away. Never does an Aussie in any sport take a Kiwi opponent lightly. I think you will be surprised if you check out the scores since 70s. The games run way closer than you think.
I am counting on this- Aussies will lose to NZ or SL and not have the WC like everyone is thinking I also hope SA makes it to semis instead of England because these 3 teams (SA,NZ and SL) can beat the Aussies any given day

Sorry mate I don't believe that. More often than not the Aussies have either been beaten or have run too close against the Kiwis. Every player is a match winner in NZ team against the Aussies in particular. You really need to understand the psyche of a kiwi player to understand the zeal in which they play against the Aussies. Do this' date=' check out the scores since 2001 and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Aussies are above Kiwis but just suggesting it is not as easy as you are brushing the contest away. Never does an Aussie in any sport take a Kiwi opponent lightly. I think you will be surprised if you check out the scores since 70s. The games run way closer than you think.[/quote'] Two things here Ravi. One that since I can remember NZ have always run Aussies very close. However till say about 5 years back they would almost always end up losing. It was very strange to see NZ keeping Australia on the ropes only to see them(NZ) miss delivering the killer punch. In recent times they have overcome this trait and are now very capable of beating Australia. Secondly I think NZ players may have this inherent beleif of beating Australia. Of course there is a huge rivalry between the two countries but I think there may also be a reason somewhere because of the dominance of Kiwis All-Blacks rugby team. Kiwi rugby team has easily had the better of Aussies over the years(and rugby is very popular in Australia as well by the way). The very competitive Tri Nations Rubgy team comprising of Kiwis, Aussies and South African has historically been dominated by Kiwis(about 7 out of 11 wins or so). And so a kiwi player doesnt get overawed by his TransTasmanian neighbour. xxx

Two things here Ravi. One that since I can remember NZ have always run Aussies very close. However till say about 5 years back they would almost always end up losing. It was very strange to see NZ keeping Australia on the ropes only to see them(NZ) miss delivering the killer punch. In recent times they have overcome this trait and are now very capable of beating Australia. Secondly I think NZ players may have this inherent beleif of beating Australia. Of course there is a huge rivalry between the two countries but I think there may also be a reason somewhere because of the dominance of Kiwis All-Blacks rugby team. Kiwi rugby team has easily had the better of Aussies over the years(and rugby is very popular in Australia as well by the way). The very competitive Tri Nations Rubgy team comprising of Kiwis, Aussies and South African has historically been dominated by Kiwis(about 7 out of 11 wins or so). And so a kiwi player doesnt get overawed by his TransTasmanian neighbour. *****
Tell me about it, every weekend goes watching rugby anyways. Aussies started to flourish in rugby league in 90s. Since then Aussies have done pretty well in rugby. All Blacks of course have dominated rugby mostly. NZ has had better of Australia in cricket in the 70s and 80s. That was the golden time for NZ cricket. We had the likes of Hadlee, Crowe bros, Wright, Coney, Smithy, Bracewell et al. In the 90s NZ cricket was in turmoil and was beaten by every other team (but for India in NZ) both overseas and at home. After Flem took over NZ cricket started to look up and now well and truly the team is pulling its weight. It is a pity some of the key players have been injured over the last few years. Still NZ cricket is producing decent players if not stars. A lot of players are experienced but still young. I think NZ cricket is in good hands for the next 4-5 years. I won?t put NZ ahead of Australia but of course I don?t believe in Predator?s prediction Aussies are going to wallop NZ. Not sure if you guys have followed NZ as much over the last few years but NZ has run Australia close on a lot of occasions and even won several of those contests both in Australia and NZ. NZ still has the same players and every player in the team including the likes of Fulton, H Marshall, M Gillespie et al have put their hands up in crunch situation and won games for NZ. NZ cannot be ruled out that easily against the Aussies. If NZ were playing SL then that is a different issue.