Desktop hardware help

Desi Cartman

Dear Poyz, My HP desktop shuts down after few mins , sometimes it shuts down even before windows finishes loading. I disconnected the floppy drive and then the CD drive but still it does that. I think software cant cause this problem since it shuts down even before the OS loads. Is there any part that I can replace to fix this ? PS: this is no laughing matter .. I want serious answers

You may have a virus. Try starting up in safe mode
did that but it turned off after few mins in safe mode. I can see a little green light inside thats always on.. even if I shut down the computer still it remains on and Im thinking that it maybe overheating due to that. PS: the fan is working ... I guess only fan is working :blink:

Most likely a virus. Try starting in safe mode and run a AV scan' date=' a spyware scan. Also use hijack this.[/quote'] yesterday I ran AVG anti-virus , Spyware , c-cleaner ... it stayed on while I did all that :giggle: but when I tried to use it today its again doing the same thing PS: please tell me what to do else my wife will start watching "yeh rishta kya kehlata hai" on my laptop :wall:

Looks like your Memory (RAM) is screwed up. Download this: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip Unzip, and burn the ISO onto a CD.. Boot up your Desktop with it, and do a Memory Test If there are memory problems, then get some new RAM and try it out.. Another temporary solution would be to boot up with an Ubuntu CD as Linux detects bad memory sectors and doesn't use them, as opposed to windows which gives you a blue screen, or just locks up.

Looks like your Memory (RAM) is screwed up. Download this: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip Unzip, and burn the ISO onto a CD.. Boot up your Desktop with it, and do a Memory Test If there are memory problems, then get new RAM and try it out.. Another temporary solution would be to boot up with an Ubuntu CD as Linux detects bad memory sectors and doesn't use them, as opposed to windows which gives you a blue screen, or just locks up.
ok sir :isalute: I will do that if its turns off again. I think the problem is with power connection. I can see that even when the computer is not on there is still a small light on . Its just behind the CD ROM and me thinks its causing the PC to heat. I pulled the power cable n left it alone for 30 mins ... checked RAM to make sure its not lose and since then its been running fine. I had the same problem 6 months ago on a very hot day and now its the end of winters so maybe its heating up. I have checked and the fan is working.

ok sir :isalute: I will do that if its turns off again. I think the problem is with power connection. I can see that even when the computer is not on there is still a small light on . Its just behind the CD ROM and me thinks its causing the PC to heat. I pulled the power cable n left it alone for 30 mins ... checked RAM to make sure its not lose and since then its been running fine. I had the same problem 6 months ago on a very hot day and now its the end of winters so maybe its heating up. I have checked and the fan is working.
a small LED can't cause your PC to overheat

kya :yikes: ? how can u be so sure .. can it replaced.. this PC is used for watching Desi TV so I dont wanna spend much
SMPS doesnt cost u so much... it happens due to improper output voltage transmitted to Mthbrd. * it cant be mthbrd problem , as it wud hang ur PC or restart with a Dump screen. * Neither CPU fan problem , it will hang /freez ur screen.