Forbes:The World's Hottest Sports League

Its nearly impossible to watch 8 hours a day for 5 days straight and still lead a normal life. Sure you can watch the highlights but doesnt that still bring back the fact that the modern life is busy to fit all this. Except for England and Australia, the crowds for Test matches are simply awful.

Its nearly impossible to watch 8 hours a day for 5 days straight and still lead a normal life. Sure you can watch the highlights but doesnt that still bring back the fact that the modern life is busy to fit all this. Except for England and Australia' date=' the crowds for Test matches are simply awful.[/quote'] You don't have to watch test cricket 8 hours a day for 5 days to enjoy it. You can pick and choose the days/sessions you want to watch. Almost all international cricketers admit that it is the format they most want to perform in. Modern life? Give me a break! You think we would have reached this "modern life" if our predecessors were watching test cricket all the time? Test cricket for spectators on the ground was and should be marketed as a picnic, rather than a chore. One individual cannot go to a picnic everyday but a lot of people put together certainly can and fill up the stadiums. It's a very popular format in India as well if we make the atmosphere more like a picnic rather than a chore where for starters you have to buy tickets for all 5 days! It's all about b(p)itches and making time spent with them enjoyable!
Its nearly impossible to watch 8 hours a day for 5 days straight and still lead a normal life. Sure you can watch the highlights but doesnt that still bring back the fact that the modern life is busy to fit all this. Except for England and Australia' date= the crowds for Test matches are simply awful.
forget test cricket how many actually sit and watch every single ball of a 50 over game. IPL has achieved a lot in these 2 short years, which atleast i have never imagined.
You don't have to watch test cricket 8 hours a day for 5 days to enjoy it. You can pick and choose the days/sessions you want to watch. Almost all international cricketers admit that it is the format they most want to perform in. Modern life? Give me a break! You think we would have reached this "modern life" if our predecessors were watching test cricket all the time? Test cricket for spectators on the ground was and should be marketed as a picnic, rather than a chore. One individual cannot go to a picnic everyday but a lot of people put together certainly can and fill up the stadiums. It's a very popular format in India as well if we make the atmosphere more like a picnic rather than a chore where for starters you have to buy tickets for all 5 days! It's all about b(p)itches and making time spent with them enjoyable!
Perhaps, then you dont even know that you're actually watching t20 and one-day cricket under the mask of Test Cricket? ;-) I hear what you are saying. Marketing is an important element to bring in more spectators. Even fill it up with school kids. I have seen some ground employ this tactic and its a good one. Regarding how one should watch it in sessions - Doesn't that bring in the time factor again? Might as well watch a fast paced game with emotions going up and down like a rollercoaster than one which yields a mere 80 runs in 2.5 hours. Obviously, I am speaking from the perspective how kids would perceive it.
Its nearly impossible to watch 8 hours a day for 5 days straight and still lead a normal life. Sure you can watch the highlights but doesnt that still bring back the fact that the modern life is busy to fit all this. Except for England and Australia' date=' the crowds for Test matches are simply awful.[/quote'] What is modern life? Modern life is much lazier than say 15 to 20 years back.
15-20 yrs ago test cricket wasnt competing with 200+ 24*7 channels' date=' internet, multiplex etc...[/quote'] That is just a myth. I don't buy the theory 24*7 channels can kill Cricket.We have been having that for the last 10 years. They have played more tests in the last 10 years than any other decade.
explain empty stadiums for test match ?
People prefer watching it on Television. I for one never missed a single Test of India . I can't go to stadium as i don't live in India. Television coverage has become more advanced. Those days they just had one camera for lot of Test matches. Now they have super slowmo, hawkeye what not. It is more interesting to watch on Television. To create atmosphere quality of cricket has to be good, Poor crowd doesn't mean people have stopped following Cricket.
People prefer watching it on Television. I for one never missed a single Test of India . I can't go to stadium as i don't live in India. Television coverage has become more advanced. Those days they just had one camera for lot of Test matches. Now they have super slowmo' date=' hawkeye what not. It is more interesting to watch on Television. To create atmosphere quality of cricket has to be good, Poor crowd doesn't mean people have stopped following Cricket.[/quote'] But you see the crowds are packed / full houses for ODIs or t20s in India or Pakistan whereas for Test matches the grounds are mostly empty. I am sure they use the same cameras for both Test/ODI/t20 matches. I like watching Test Cricket as well but we on this forum would probably be classified as ardent die hard cricket fans. Ofcourse fans in this category aren't going to miss many games. But Test cricket doesnt perhaps appeal to the masses anymore - atleast that's the idea one gets from watching Test cricket played in empty stadiums.
But you see the crowds are packed / full houses for ODIs or t20s in India or Pakistan whereas for Test matches the grounds are mostly empty. I am sure they use the same cameras for both Test/ODI/t20 matches. I like watching Test Cricket as well but we on this forum would probably be classified as ardent die hard cricket fans. Ofcourse fans in this category aren't going to miss many games. But Test cricket doesnt perhaps appeal to the masses anymore - atleast that's the idea one gets from watching Test cricket played in empty stadiums.
Don't you think test matches are best watched on television than from stadiums? People mostly watch test matches for the quality of cricket, which can be enjoyed better on television. I can sit back and enjoy a series of maiden overs on the tv. I enjoy the quality of bowling, the defenses, the strategies, how the batsman is leaving the deliveries etc. I can not enjoy that from the stadium, can I? LOI however, is different. Its more visibly competitive, there is more stroke play, more excitement. LOI cricket can be enjoyed better from the stadiums than test match cricket. Additionally, with better and bigger tv sets and better quality of transmission, I can see why people are watching test matches more on tv than on stadiums.

AFter T20, we will have this to compete with it: http://blogs.cricinfo.com/thebuzz/archives/2009/08/a_new_high_for_former_indian_p.php T5: A new high for former Indian players The 'Top of Europe' five-over match between India and an All-Star team from England at the highest accessible point in Europe – in Interlaken, Switzerland - resulted in the former prevailing by four runs. Former Indian captain Kapil Dev, who led the winning side, led from the front with 26, as they piled on 108 in five overs. There were also significant contributions from Sandeep Patil (25) and Ajay Jadeja (26). During the chase, the England team were propped up by Radford, who scored 25, along with ICC match referee Chris Broad and Collis King, both of whom managed 26. It was left to the pair of skipper Alvin Kallicharran and John Emburey to get 38 off the last over. A six off every ball was not impossible since the ball was disappearing regularly to the glacier 50 yards away from the centre. Jadeja then bowled a no-ball and the asking rate came down to five per ball and six off the last. Kallicharran aimed for the straight field but was beaten by the bounce and mishit behind the 'keeper for just a single. The fans soon rushed on to the artificial pitch, to join Kapil and his team, and umpires Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi and Farokh Engineer, to sing the Indian national anthem and celebrate the victory. "The event was supposed to be a fun thing, but once you wear your cricket gear, you only want to win and we were happy to do it on our Independence Day in front of Indian tourists," Kapil told the Times of India. Patil said though the artificial pitch behaved well but "running on snow was a problem”. “The ball was bouncing but we kept it at a reasonable pace.”

There are 2 kind of movies that big studios like to invest in(there are many more but for the sake of conversation lets just take that 2). The 1st kinda is the summer blockbuster. Most often, the plots to these are idiotic but they are packed with explosions and actions. They invest huge budgets into these movies and often make a large profit. This kinda movies often stars big movie stars who can pull in the people but are considered to be just eye candy. People forget about them the moment they step out of the movie theater. The 2nd kinda movies are the oscar materials. These movies often have very serious plot and often have the best names in the industries working in them. They are lower budgeted and have a very small profit margin even when they are talked about. But these are the kinda movies that everyone wants to star in. Everybody knows these are the real movies in which a single great performance many moons ago are still talked about. But many people fail to understand that these 2 kinda movies co-exists and sustain off each other for survival. The money made from the summer blockbuster help create the funding required for the oscar material movies and in return the oscar materials keep the creative juices flowing and the talent that help the summer blockbuster.

But you see the crowds are packed full houses for ODIs or t20s in India or Pakistan whereas for Test matches the grounds are mostly empty. I am sure they use the same cameras for both Test/ODI/t20 matches. I like watching Test Cricket as well but we on this forum would probably be classified as ardent die hard cricket fans. Ofcourse fans in this category aren't going to miss many games.But Test cricket doesnt perhaps appeal to the masses anymore - atleast that's the idea one gets from watching Test cricket played in empty stadiums.
Test matches are always going to have more following on the TV than on the stadium. Some traditional ground still get decent attendance. Chennai, Kolkatta, Mumbai are still going to get decent crowd in.2007 world cup had very thin attendance for most of the matches. T20 gets crowd because it is short. That doesn't mean it is good. That doesn't mean all cricket fans have given up Test cricket. Even in the 70s Majority of the people followed Test cricket through Radio.Not everyone went to stadium.